Special Collections, Murphy Library recently accessioned a short (1 minute, 39 seconds) film clip of a parade at the corner of Main St. and 5th Ave. in downtown La Crosse. We believe this parade occurred on July 30, 1913 and this film is a portion of the first motion picture footage of professional quality to be filmed in La Crosse. The film was produced by a Mr. Huntley of Wenohna Films in Winona, Minnesota. The parade was organized by Harry Taggart, the Secretary of the Retail Grocers Association, and featured local business and civic groups. In the footage, the Majestic Theatre on the south side of Main St. is visible at the extreme left and the Boyer-Furber Furniture store is on the right. A full length version of the La Crosse Retail Grocers’ parade is available and cataloged under the title La Crosse Parades.
Each clip below is an .mpg file and should open in Media Player or whatever application you have set as the default for .mpg files.