I am a musician/composer living on the west coast of Wisconsin. I grew up in Ohio and went to school at Capital University (Columbus, OH) and the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music where I received degrees in music composition. I like to play piano too; mostly jazz and have had the opportunity to play with people like Sunny Wilkinson, Brian Lynch, Kurt Elling, Clark Terry, Jim Pugh, Marvin Stamm and others.
I currently teach Music Theory at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. I Coordinate the music theory program and teach courses in Theory, Aural Skills, Composition, Music Technology, Orchestration, Counterpoint and Form and Analysis and am department chair. I am the Director of the Electronic Music Studio and our Computer Assisted Instruction lab.
My wife, Cherryl, and I have three children who are into music, biking and outdoor adventures.
I am also Secretary/Treasurer of WAC/-The Wisconsin Alliance for Composers, a non-profit organization that promotes new music in the state by organizing concerts, conferences, workshops, composition contests, commissioning opportunities and other events. WAC co-sponsors the annual La Crosse New Music Festival which features new music concerts and workshops.
(click underlined compositions to download mp3 files)
- for SATB Chorus and accordion, 2012 (4')
- Three Poems
- for SATB Chorus, 2008 (5')Commissioned by the La Crosse Chamber Chorale for its Words to Music Project.
- Let the Truth be Told
- for SATB Chorus and Jazz ensemble 2007 (6')Commission for the Inaugeration of Chancellor Joe Gow, UW-La Crosse.
- Someone I Remember
- for SATB Chorus, 2006 (4')
- Star Night
- for SATB Chorus and Interactive Light Tubes, 2001 (5')
- Listen River
- for SATB Chorus and Marimba, 1999 (3')
- for two part chorus and organ, 1996 (3')
- for SSA Chorus and trumpet, 1994 (4')Third prize winner in the 1998 "Jihlava International Choral Composition Festival". Published by Alliance Publications Inc.
- How Beautiful Upon the Mountain
- for chorus and organ, 1994
copublished by CP Publications Inc. and Alliance Publications Inc.
- Of Brothers, Frisbees and Such
- for voice and piano, 1993 (10')
- Little Piggys
- for SATB chorus and piano, 1991 (8')
- for SSA womens chorus and piano, 1988 (7')
- Agnus Dei
- for SATB chorus and handbells, 1987 (6'30")
published by Alliance Publications Inc.
- The Rose of Sharon
- for mens chorus and soprano, 1986 (5')
- Psalm 138
- for SATB chorus and piano, 1984 (6')
- Night Haiku
- for high voice, piano and electric piano, 1983 (9')
- She Went Into the Garden
- digital electronics, 2011 (7')
- Toy Boat
- interactive light tubes and voices, 2008 (3-')
- The Grotto
- Video and digital audio, 2006 (4')
- Model of Love
- for digital electronics, 2002 (5')
- for digital electronics, 2001 (3')
- for trombone and interactive electronics, 1999 (8-10')
- No Play
- for piano, violin and electronics, 1994 (7-10')
- Dr. Brodie's Report
- electronic tape, 1993 (4'45")
- Parking Lot Prelude
- electronic tape, 1993 (2'50")
- New Age Indiscriminatory Pow-Wow
- electronic tape, 1989 (3'30")
- for four or more strings, tape, narrator and slides, 1985 (7')
- Should We
- electronic tape, 1983 (4')
- Electric Airport
- electronic tape, with Martin Sweidel and James Hearon, 1982 (8')
- Hat Gejamen
- electronic tape, 1982 (12')
- Electric Pony Ride
- electronic tape, 1979 (1')
- Tombeau for Piano
- 2005, (7')
- Suite for Piano
- 2002 (12')
- Partita on What Wondrous Love
- for organ solo, 1999 (6')
published by Alliance Publications Inc.
- Four Oceanscapes
- for piano duet, 1995 (10')
- for piano solo, 1991 (10')
- Five Quirks
- for piano, 1989 (6')
published by Alliance Publishers Inc.
- Jeux for Two
- for two pianos, 1988 (6')
- Five for Six
- for solo piano, 1982. Revised 1986 (5')
Published by Hal Leonard Publishing Co.as FIVE PIECE SUITE, 1988.
- Procedures for trombone quartet
- 2009 (8'30")
- Three pieces for Alto saxophone and Piano
- 1999 (15')
- Symbiosis I
- for bassoon and piano, 1993 (7')
Commissioned by the Music Fix ensemble for the 1993 International Double Reed Conference
- Touch, Feel, Believe
- for clarinet, bassoon and piano, 1991 (16')
Commissioned by the Music Fix ensemble of Madison, WI.
- Rondo For Violin And Piano
- 1991 (8')
- Sonatina For Flute And Piano
- 1989 (15')
- for flute, oboe, violin, and piano, 1982 (18')
Awarded first prize in Ohio Federation of Music Clubs' Young Composers Contest, 1984.
- Suite for Harp And Contrabass
- 1981 (20')
- for piano and cello, 1980 (6')
- Floral Jargon
- for flute, guitar, percussion, piano, and viola, 1979 (10')
- for two B flat clarinets,1979 (10')
Awarded first prize in the University of Maryland Clarinet Ensemble Composition Contest, 1984.
- Sonata for Violin And Piano
- 1978-79 (8')
- Three Pieces for Orchestra
- for full orchestra, 2009 (10')
- Forward, Together
- for full orchestra, 1992 (6')
- Symphonic Fantasy On A Theme By Willaert
- for full orchestra, 1983 (25')
- for marching band with multiple conductors using spatial delay modulation, 1989 (6')
- for jazz ensemble, 1985 (8')
- for brass choir, 1982 (1')
- PDT (blues)
- Max Cap
- Waltz for my Mother
- Jim-Bob Theme
- Sad But True
If you would like more information regarding my music please contact me at: