Study Abroad

Academic Programs International

UW-L has joined with API as an affiliate institution to expand our study abroad opportunities for students. API is a study abroad provider that works with campuses to provide a full service study abroad experience.

  • Onsite staff when you arrive and throughout your stay in every one of their program locations. They will be your academic advisors, support counselors, and excursion coordinators.

  • To make arriving more comfortable for you, API welcome students at the airport and provide transfer to their housing.

  • To help you familiarize yourself with your new environment, onsite staff will lead an in-depth orientation session and a tour of the city.

  • API encourages students to become involved in activities outside the classroom with the help of the onsite staff. API will organize social and cultural activities, short excursions to nearby places of interest, overnight trips within the host country, and even social dinners at local establishments.

UW-L students should apply directly with API and complete OIE's Application Process.  Submit the $50 application fee and original transcripts to the Office of International Education.


The Department of Modern Languages requires

SPA 303 and SPA 304

be taken at UW-L prior to studying abroad.

A student pursuing a major or a minor in Spanish at University of Wisconsin-La Crosse may earn up to 66% of the credit hours for the major/minor requirement in a foreign country.  Thirty-four percent (34%) of the credit hours must be earned at UW-L.  The student is required to take at least one three-credit course in Spanish at UW-L after returning from the country of study. 

Please contact the Modern Languages Advisor(s) identified for your program.

The course equivalencies spreadsheets have been compiled from past approved Academic Plan forms.  They show when the course was last approved and how it transferred back to La Crosse.  You may notice that some classes satisfied several UWL options.

This list is not comprehensive nor does it take the place of  meeting with your advisor for final approval!  They are meant to be a guide of what courses may be appropriate for your studies abroad.

Before you travel abroad, you will need to obtain a passport, which will serve as proof of your U.S. citizenship. A passport may allow you to gain entry to (and exit from) other countries. Depending on the country to which you're traveling, a visa may be required as well. Entry requirements vary from one country to another. The U.S. State Department issues travel warnings specific to certain countries, and offers tips and publications relevant to travel abroad generally. Well in advance of your departure, you should also familiarize yourself with international travel health issues, and health recommendations specific to your destination.

Students are required to pay, directly to API, a non-refundable deposit with their application to the program.  In addition, students will pay the API confirmation and insurance fees.  The remaining program fee will be billed to your UW-L student account and can be paid as you normally pay your tuition bill.  The program fee includes the following: (UW participants add an OIE administrative fee).

  • Tuition (full time status) and Administrative Fees
  • Housing
  • Meal Plan or Stipend (in many locations)
  • Insurance

The UW-L Administrative Fee includes the following:

  • Pre-payment of program fees on your behalf
  • Preparation of Financial Aid budgets
  • Orientation to Study Abroad Class
  • Registration while abroad in INS 300: Foreign Study to maintain your registration at UW-L
  • Student Identity Card (ISIC)
  • Transfer of Credit Processing
  • Study Abroad Graduation Sash

Financial Aid is applicable to program fees

Study Abroad with API
Check out API's Blog!
Tips and Advice from Program Alumni

Office of International Education
1209 Centennial Hall
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
1725 State Street
La Crosse, WI 54601 USA

Telephone: 608-785-8016 Fax: 608-785-8923 E-Mail: