Study Abroad

Council on International Educational Exchange

UW-L has joined with CIEE as an affiliate institution to expand our study abroad opportunities for students. CIEE is a study abroad provider that works with campuses to provide a full service study abroad experience.

  • Onsite staff when you arrive and throughout your stay in every one of their program locations.

  • To make arriving more comfortable for you, CIEE welcome students at the airport and provide transfer to their housing.

  • To help you familiarize yourself with your new environment, onsite staff will lead an in-depth orientation session and a tour of the city.

  • CIEE encourages students to become involved in activities outside the classroom with the help of the onsite staff.

UW-L students should apply directly with CIEE and complete OIE's Application Process.  Submit the $50 application fee and original transcripts to the Office of International Education.


The Department of Modern Languages requires

SPA 303 and SPA 304

be taken at UW-L prior to studying abroad.

A student pursuing a major or a minor in Spanish at University of Wisconsin-La Crosse may earn up to 66% of the credit hours for the major/minor requirement in a foreign country.  Thirty-four percent (34%) of the credit hours must be earned at UW-L.  The student is required to take at least one three-credit course in Spanish at UW-L after returning from the country of study. 

Please contact the Modern Languages Advisor(s) identified for your program.

The course equivalencies spreadsheets have been compiled from past approved Academic Plan forms.  They show when the course was last approved and how it transferred back to La Crosse.  You may notice that some classes satisfied several UWL options.

This list is not comprehensive nor does it take the place of  meeting with your advisor for final approval!  They are meant to be a guide of what courses may be appropriate for your studies abroad.

Before you travel abroad, you will need to obtain a passport, which will serve as proof of your U.S. citizenship. A passport may allow you to gain entry to (and exit from) other countries. Depending on the country to which you're traveling, a visa may be required as well. Entry requirements vary from one country to another. The U.S. State Department issues travel warnings specific to certain countries, and offers tips and publications relevant to travel abroad generally. Well in advance of your departure, you should also familiarize yourself with international travel health issues, and health recommendations specific to your destination.

Students are required to pay, directly to CIEE, a non-refundable deposit with their application to the program.  In addition, students will pay the CIEE confirmation fees.  The remaining program fee will be billed to your UW-L student account and can be paid as you normally pay your tuition bill.  The program fee includes the following: (UW participants add an OIE administrative fee).

  • Tuition (full time status) and Administrative Fees
  • Housing
  • Meal Plan or Stipend
  • Student Identity Card (ISIC)
  • Insurance

The UW-L Administrative Fee includes the following:

  • Pre-payment of program fees on your behalf
  • Preparation of Financial Aid budgets
  • Orientation to Study Abroad Class
  • Registration while abroad in INS 300: Foreign Study to maintain your registration at UW-L
  • Transfer of Credit Processing
  • Study Abroad Graduation Sash

Financial Aid is applicable to program fees



CIEE is excited to announce the launch of its Global Access Initiative (GAIN), which is designed to overcome the main barriers to study abroad, namely, challenges of cost and curriculum requirements. GAIN will expand the opportunities for students from all backgrounds and all majors to participate in study abroad programs.

Through GAIN, CIEE is committing one million dollars each year to students who are economically challenged, are pursuing intensive international experiences, or are otherwise limited by their major or student activities. CIEE will provide grants and scholarships to students for full-year, semester, and summer programs.

GAIN will launch in summer 2012 and provide access to study abroad programs for students unable to attend due to financial constraints. Grants and scholarships will be available for the 36 CIEE summer programs offered in 21 countries. GAIN will also provide grants and scholarships to students who are selected as awardees by the highly respected Benjamin A. Gilman and David L. Boren Scholarship programs.

Research shows that students who participate in study abroad programs graduate faster, experience benefits in career development, and find their overall experience to be the single most positive element of their time in college. GAIN was created to ensure that study abroad is available to all students.

For nearly 65 years, CIEE has been the leader in providing access to high quality study abroad programs around the world. Today, with 136 programs in 41 countries, CIEE offers more summer, semester, and year-long academic programs in more cities than any other international education organization and is committed to offering high quality programs that are available to every student, regardless of economic means or academic major.

For more information on GAIN, contact CIEE at or call 1.800.40.STUDY.

Study Abroad with CIEE
Click here for the Australian government website on studying in Australia.
Tips and Advice from Program Alumni


Back        ● Apply!        ● Fees        Dates       Alumni Comments

Study Abroad Homepage        OIE Homepage


Office of International Education
1209 Centennial Hall
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
1725 State Street
La Crosse, WI 54601 USA

Telephone: 608-785-8016 Fax: 608-785-8923 E-Mail: