New International Students
Welcome to the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse!
The University, Campus Community and Office of International Education (OIE) are excited to welcome you to UW-L!
ORIENTATION, ARRIVAL & HOUSING INFORMATION
- Important and Mandatory Dates for All New UW-L International Students
- Submit Arrival Information
- Pre-Departure Information
- Contact Information
- Computer Information
Important & Mandatory Dates for all new UW-L International Students
Please note that Orientation is mandatory for all new international students.
|Fall 2013||Spring 2014||Summer 2014|
|Arrival Date(s)||August 23-25||January 18-20||TBA|
(date on I-20/DS-2019 Form)
|August 26||January 21||TBA|
|La Crosse Battery Exam||August 26||January 21||TBA|
|Orientation Dates||August 26-29||January 21-24||TBA|
|Classes Begin||September 3||January 27||TBA|
Orientation week is mandatory
오리엔테이션 주는 강제적이다
la semaine d'accueil est obligatoire
la semana de la orientación es obligatoria
Die Orientierung Woche ist erforderlich
неделя ориентации принудительна
A semana de orientação é mandatória
la settimana di orientazione è obbligatoria
Upon your arrival to La Crosse, you will receive a detailed orientation schedule. Please remember to contact OIE with your arrival information at least five (5) business days before your arrival date or by January 10, 2012. If you arrive before or after the official arrival dates you will need to take a taxi cab to your accommodation. You will need approximately $25 USD in cash for the taxi cab. It is also a $35 per night fee to stay in the residence hall if you arrive early. If you prefer to make your own arrangements, there is hotel and taxi cab information in the Arrival Booklet.
J-1 Student Advisor
International Programs and International Student/Scholar Advisor
International Student Advisor
Computer recommendation can be found HERE.
Information regarding minimum requirements for your computer are listed at Residence Life Information Services.
Application for University Housing Now
(Please Note: You do not need to pay the $75 deposit)
Housing Options Available in La Crosse:
Campus Housing Options - Summer
Residence Hall Options (On Campus):
- EAGLE Hall: This new building features Single and Double rooms in a shared suite style setting. There are also opportunities to participate in the Global Village Living Learning Community, while living in Eagle Hall. For more information visit the hall webpage at: EAGLE HALL
- Reuter Hall: Only single rooms are available in a shared apartment setting. This hall is generally for students over the age of 20. For more information visit the hall webpage at: REUTER (Accommodation in Reuter Hall will be made available beginning in Fall 2012 and will NOT be available for the Summer 2012 Session.)
Applying to On-Campus Housing:
All new first year undergraduate students, exchange students and some contract students are required to live in campus housing. All housing contracts are for a full academic year, unless you are on a one semester exchange/contract program.
If you are required to live in campus housing or wish to apply to live on campus, you must apply online at the website listed above. Please note: International Students DO NOT need to pay the enrollment deposit in order to apply for campus housing.
For a list of estimated housing costs please visit the Office of Residence Life
*NOTE: If you arrive early, you will be charged $35 per night to stay in campus housing, pending availability.
Living off-campus is not recommended for ESL students and freshmen/first year students. If you prefer to live off-campus, you should make arrangements prior to your arrival in La Crosse. Finding off-campus housing may take time and fills quickly as many other students are also searching or already have made arrangements for cheap and convenient rentals.
It is your responsibility to find your own off-campus housing. Below are a few community resources available to help you in your search.
- The La Crosse Tribune: The local newspaper has resources available online at www.lacrossetribune.com and www.7RiversRentals.com
- The Apartment Connextion: A website for local apartment listings.
- Find a Place to Live: A searchable website based on your university. Search UW-L at Student Rental Society.