The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Planetarium presents programs to school groups, private groups, and the public. Our facility has been recognized in Physics Today, The Alumnus and La Crosse Magazine. The goal of the Planetarium is to provide educational outreach for the area and to raise awareness of the value of astronomy. For more information about the Planetarium and its' programs, please contact us at 608.785.8669 or by email at email@example.com .
PARKING: Please excuse this being near the top of our web page, but parking for our programs is changing by the moment. If you only want information on Public Programs, Private Group Programs, School Programs, or Album Encounters, scroll down a little ways or click in the upper left of this page. For parking details, scroll to near the bottom of this page.
Public Programs are held at 1:00 pm on Saturdays. There are monthly Public Programs in October, November, December, February, March, and April. They are on Saturdays at 1:00 pm. Admission is $5.00 for Adults and $3.00 for Students, Children, and Senior Citizens (over 60). Each program begins with a talk on the current evening sky, followed by a multimedia audiovisual presentation on an astronomical subject. There are no Public Programs during the summer months or in January.
The first Public Program of the school year is "Cosmic Colors". It will be presented at 1 pm on Saturdays, October 1, 8, 15, 22, and 29.
The November Public Program will be "The First Stargazers". It will be presented at 1 pm on Saturdays, November 5, 12, 19, and 26.
Album Encounters are multimedia light and laser shows set to rock music. They are presented at 8:00 pm on Fridays when classes are in session. Admission is $5.00 for every one.
The October 28th Album Encounter will feature Pink Floyd''s "Dark Side of the Moon'".
The November 4th Album Encounter wil feature Phish's curent release "Big Boat".
Album Encounters so far for the 2016-17 school year were: Jeff Beck's "Loud Hailer", Pink Floyd's "Meddle, Panic! at the Disco's "Death of a Bachelor", Beatles' "Live at The Hollywood Bowl", Bastille's "Wild World", The Door's "The Future Starts Here", Mudrutch with Tom Petty's "2",
Album Encounters for the 2015-16 school year were: Pink Floyd's "The Wall", Santana's "IV", Rolling Stones' "Let It Bleed", Various Artists' "Star Wars Headspace", Grateful Dead's "Skeletons in the Closet", Soul Asylum's "Change of Fortune", Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", Dream Theater's "The Astonishing", Led Zeppelin's "II", David Bowie's "Blackstar", Pink Floyd's "Animals", Nordic Giants' "A Seance of Dark Delusions", Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", The Beatles' "1", Adele's "25", U2's "The Best of 1980 - 1990". Disclosure's "Caracal", Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", The Doors' "Essential Rarities", Muse's "Drones", David Gilmour's "Rattle That Lock", Santana's "Live", Wilco's "Star Wars", Pink Floyd's "Meddle", and The Sword's "High Country".
School and Private Programs
There are several programs available for School and Private groups. For more information on School and Private Programs, please see the upper left of this web page or contact Bob Allen, Planetarium Director, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 608.785.8669.
Additional Program Information
- Public, School, and Private Programs last about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Maximum seating capacity is approximately 50 adults OR 70 young children.
- The charge for private or school groups of 10 or more is $3.00 per person. The minimum charge per program is $30.00 for a group of 10 or less.
Directions and Parking
LOCATION: The Planetarium is located in Room 20 in the Basement level of Cowley Hall. Cowley Hall is on the northwest corner of East Ave. and Pine Street (look for the smokestack).
PARKING: The Cowley Hall Parking Lot (Comuter Lot 3) no longer exists. A new building is being constructed where it was. ALL Commuter Lots, as well as the Parking Ramp, have Pay Stations in them. They take coins, bills, or cards. They need to be used from 7 am to 7 pm Monday through Friday. They are NOT enforced after 7 pm weekdays or on weekends. Daytime visitors can also get a $3 half day permit for Commuter Lots at the PARKING OFFICE. That is on the northwest corner of Farwell Street and 17th Street. PAY STATION RATES ARE $1 PER HOUR. FINES ARE $25. The Planetarium can not be responsible for fines.
The entrance to the Parking Ramp is on the north side of Farwell Street between 16th and 17th Streets. You can park on Levels 1, 2, or 3. The ramp is enforced 7 am to 7 pm Monday through Friday. It is NOT enforced after 7 pm weekdays or on weekends. The Pay Station is near the entrance. It asks you to enter your license plate information. You will have to walk around the east or west side of Wimberly Hall to get to Cowley Hall due to construction of the new Student Union and new Science Building. The only doors that you can enter Cowley Hall through ar eon the south side of the building.
1. Album Encounters - There are high school football games Friday evenings through September and October. Park on Levels 1, 2, or 3 of the Parking Ramp. Pay Stations for the Parking Ramp and Commuter (C) lots are NOT enforced after 7 pm, so you do not have to use the Pay Station. You will have to walk around the east or west side of Wimberly Hall to get to Cowley Hall due to construction of the new Student Union and new Science Building.
2. Public Programs - The Stadium lot (Commuter Lot 2) is on the northeast corner of East Avenue and Pine Street. It is not enforced on weekends, so you do not need to use the Pay Station. However, there are UW - La Crosse home football games at 1pm on Saturdays October 15th and 29th as well as Saturday November 12th. There is also a home game October 1st, but it starts at 4 pm. For the dates of the home football games, use the Parking Ramp. Park on Levels 1, 2, or 3 or any Commuter (C) lot. Commute rlots and the ramp are NOT enforced on weekends, so you do not have to use the Pay Stationa. If you park in the Parking Ramp, you will have to walk around the east or west side of Wimberly Hall to get to Cowley Hall due to construction of the new Student Union and new Science Building.
3. School Group or Private Group Programs: From 7 am to 7 pm weekdays, cars or vans can park in ANY Commuter (C) Lot or in the Parking Ramp (Levels 1, 2, or3) and use the Pay Stations. The Pay Station will ask you to enter your license plate information.
Weekday parking for the Planetarium is available through Pay Stations in the Stadium Commuter-2 (C-2) parking lot (near the entrance), on the northeast corner of East Ave. and Pine Street (on the west side of Roger Harring Stadium) and in the campus Parking Ramp (entrance on Farwell Street, between 16th Street and 17th Street). Temporary parking is offered on an hourly basis. Rates are $1 per hour. Fines are $25! The Planetarium can not be responsible for fines. Lots are enforced until 7pm weekdays (Monday through Friday). Pay Stations accept coins, bills, and cards.
Thank you for visiting the Planetarium website. Keep looking up and here's hoping you have clear skies!
Bob Allen, Planetarium Director
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse