Frequently Asked Questions

Are officers at UW-La Crosse real police officers?
Yes. UW-La Crosse Police Officers are state certified and must undergo the same training as the La Crosse Police Department, La Crosse County Sheriff's Department, and other state agencies.

Are you open at night and on the weekends?
Yes. UW-La Crosse provides law enforcement services 24 hours a day, weekends, and holidays included.  Please visit our Location and Office Hours web page for more information.

Do I dial 911 on campus for emergencies?
Yes. In life threatening emergency situations, dial 911 regardless of your location. The 911 center will contact campus police immediately.

If I'm underage and drink off campus, could I get in trouble when I return to campus?
The legal drinking age in the State of Wisconsin is 21 years of age.  Therefore, you have violated Wisconsin State Statutes and are subject to a citation.

What is a SANE nurse?
A Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) is a registered nurse (RN) who has received special training in order to provide comprehensive care to the sexual assault patient, and who has been specially trained on collecting forensic evidence (evidence that is suitable for use in court). The SANE will discuss what happened to you, do an exam looking for injury, provide medication to decrease your chance of getting sexually transmitted infections, and also offer medication that will prevent a pregnancy. In addition to medical treatment and forensic evidence collection, you will be provided the names of other professionals who will be available to you on a referral basis for follow-up care.

If you believe you have been Sexually Assaulted it is best if you do not bathe, shower, change your clothes, or brush your teeth after the assault since some evidence may be lost. If you have done any of these, still come in and discuss it with the SANE. An exam can still be done.

If I live on campus, where can I store my weapon?
The University Police Department has a storage area and will safely store all types of weapons.

What is a blue light?
The UW-L campus has a variety of blue-light emergency telephones located throughout campus.  The telephones automatically ring to University Police when activated.

What kind of motorist services do you provide?
The UW-L Police Department will provide you with a booster pack to jump start vehicles, compressed air, and lock de-ice. We can also arrange for towing service if needed.

Can I bring a firearm to campus if I have a concealed carry permit?                                                                 No, all University Buildings including outdoor facilities are clearly posted "NO FIREARMS OR WEAPONS" allowed.  There is no exception for persons with a permit to carry a concealed firearm