UW-LA CROSSE: A PROFILE
UW-L is a public institution of higher education. In 1909 La Crosse Normal School opened its doors as a teacher training school. It became a state teachers college in 1927, a state college in 1951, and a state university in 1964. In 1971 the University became part of the University of Wisconsin System. The first graduate program began in the summer of 1956.
UW-L has 9,300 students, 700 of whom are graduate students. The students are from 40 states and 42 foreign countries; 5% are from racially under-represented groups. The University offers 70 undergraduate majors in 30 disciplines and 27 graduate programs.
There are over 350 full-time faculty and instructional academic staff, 84% of whom hold terminal degrees.
There are many opportunities for students to participate in and benefit from the more than $5 million in grant funding that has been awarded to faculty and staff annually.
Upon graduation, 95 percent of masters degree graduates in the job market found full- or part-time employment within six months of graduation.
The 118-acre campus has 32 buildings, including 12 used for instruction, academic support, and administrative purposes; 11 residence halls and three student centers.