|Table of Contents | Message from the Dean and a Note to Students | The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse | General Information about Graduate Studies | Graduate Programs | Graduate Courses | Appendix |
The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is a public institution of higher education governed by the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System. It is supported by the State of Wisconsin; the government of the United States of America; the UW-L Foundation, Inc; the UW-L Alumni Association; other public and private organizations; and friends. With a faculty and academic staff of almost 500, the university serves over 9,000 students from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and 40 other states, Canada and 36 other foreign countries. More than 92% of the full-time faculty hold an earned terminal degree.
The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse campus is in a residential section of the eastern part of the City of La Crosse (population 50,000). A major point of interest on the "Great River Road" that winds north and south through 10 states along the Mississippi, La Crosse is on the east bank of the river below towering bluffs separated by steep-walled ravines known as coulees. The La Crosse area (frequently referred to as "The Coulee Region") is famous for its exceptional natural beauty. Abundant water, woodlands and varying terrain provide a year-round invitation to those who enjoy outdoor activities such as skiing, hunting, fishing, running, skating, cycling, camping, and hiking. The community is at the western end of a statewide network of bicycle trails.
Education has remained a top priority in La Crosse with combined school districts of over 70 elementary and secondary schools and solid academic programs of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, Viterbo College, and Western Wisconsin Technical College.
The La Crosse community is fortunate to have a variety of quality entertainment in the area. The La Crosse Center hosts many events -- craft shows, theatre productions, sporting events, and concerts. The UW- La Crosse Center for the Arts, Viterbo Fine Arts Center, the Pump House, and the Community Theater are home to many excellent theatrical and musical productions. UW-La Crosse also serves as the pre-season training home to the New Orleans Saints.
La Crosse is on direct transportation routes between Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, and Minneapolis-St. Paul. It is served by Amtrak (Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul line) and bus lines. Scenic highways (Interstate 90 in particular) connect La Crosse with Chicago, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis. American Eagle, Skyway (Midwest Express), American Link and Northwest Airlines provide 15 daily round trip flights and connections to anywhere in the world.
The 119-acre campus of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is located within easy walking distance of downtown La Crosse in a residential section one mile east of the Mississippi River and one-half mile west of Grandad Bluff. Additional acreage of marshland and upland is available to faculty and students for recreation and for field studies.
Campus buildings, the year in which they were constructed, and their contents are listed below.
Maurice O. Graff Main Hall (1909),
the original building on campus, remodeled in 1980, contains offices of the Chancellor and administrative staff, 787-seat auditorium, classrooms, and specialized instruction areas for psychology, school psychology, foreign languages, and philosophy. Maurice O. Graff Main Hall is also home to the Dean of Graduate Studies, Admissions, Records and Registration, International Education, Cashiers Office, Financial Aid Office, Continuing Education and Extension, and Multicultural Student Services. It was designated a historic site by the city of La Crosse in 1984.
Wittich Hall (1916),
the original physical education building, contains offices, gymnasiums, a strength training center, a swimming pool, computer lab, and special equipment areas. The building has been renovated for extensive use in the professional preparation of special physical education teachers. Recreation Management and Therapeutic Recreation Department offices are here.
Veterans Memorial Stadium (1937),
acquired from the city in 1988 and remodeled in 1989, seats 4,600 with bleacher space for 1,100 more. The concrete grandstand structure has an elevator, rest rooms, team meeting rooms, and the veteran's hall of honor. A 400-meter urethane bonded rubber track surrounds the football field.
Campus Child Center (1938)
was the first campus heating plant. Remodeled in 1985, the building houses the Child Center on the main floor and archaeology artifacts and equipment on the lower level. Staffed by experienced teachers and student assistants, the Child Center provides care for children of students and staff.
Thomas Morris Hall (1939),
renovated in 1996, houses administrative offices for the College of Liberal Studies, Schools of Education and Arts and Communication, and the Departments of Computer Science, Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Services and Professional Leadership, and Foundations of Educational Policy and Practice. The Science Education Service Center, NASA Resource Room, and other resources for teachers are found in this former laboratory school building, as is the Frederick Theatre and a distance education classroom.
Wilder Hall (1951),
built as the first residence hall on campus, was converted to student services use in 1971. The building houses the Academic Discovery Lab, Career Services, Counseling and Testing, Residence Life, and Student Support Services offices, and the Military Science Department.
at UW-La Crosse accommodate 2,828 students -- 1,106 men and 1,722 women. Named for pioneering teachers here, the halls are co-educational except for Trowbridge, a traditional female residence. All halls contain lounges, computer rooms, recreation and laundry areas, weight rooms, saunas and kitchens.
Halls and their capacities are: Angell (1966) -- 116 men, 254 women; Baird (1963) -- 96 men, 104 women; Coate (1966) -- 148 men, 222 women; Drake(1966) -- 116 men, 126 women; Hutchison (1967) -- 146 men, 224 women; Laux (1964) -- 106 men, 120 women; Reuter (1958) -- 70 men, 130 women; Sanford (1967) -- 106 men, 120 women; Trowbridge (1959) -- 200 women; Wentz (1964) -- 102 men, 114 women; and White (1962) -- 100 men, 108 women.
Communication Center (1956) houses Information Technology, Administrative Computing Services, and Media Services. The TARG-IT Center provides computers, software, and electronic mail accounts for students, staff, and faculty. Open computer labs for student use and a computer-based classroom are features of this building. WLSU-89FM, a National Public Radio station on campus; WMCM student television lab, and all closed circuit TV program generation facilities are also located in Wing. Other units housed in this building are Visual Communications and the Educational Television Center. It also has a distance education classroom.
Cartwright Center (1959, 1965, 1985), the student union, is home to the university bookstore and textbook rental service, food service areas, lounges (one complete with fireplace), student services offices, meeting rooms, an open computer lab, and a number of recreation areas. Offices for student organizations, the UW-La Crosse Student Association, and the Racquet (student newspaper) and are also in Cartwright.
Mitchell Hall (1965) houses offices of the College of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation and the Departments of Exercise and Sport Science and Health Education and Health Promotion. Facilities include the Sports Medicine Center, an anatomy laboratory, Intramural Office, a swimming pool, three regulation basketball courts, wrestling room, dance studio, racquetball courts, and a 3,800 square foot strength training room with 31 machines and a full spectrum of free weights. The fieldhouse, completed in 1971 and newly resurfaced in 1993, provides an eighth-mile tartan track, climbing wall, broad jump pit, and nets for tennis, badminton, golf, and volleyball. A human performance laboratory, biomechanics laboratory, motor behavior laboratory, and computer lab are also in Mitchell. Outdoor facilities for physical education and athletics include practice and play fields, tennis courts, and a 400-meter urethane bonded rubber track.
Cowley Hall of Science (1965, 1969) houses the River Studies Center and Departments of Biology and Microbiology, Chemistry, Clinical Science, Geography/ Earth Science, Mathematics, Physics, and Physical Therapy. In addition to classrooms and laboratories, it provides office space, research facilities, a greenhouse, and a planetarium.
Murphy Library Resource Center (1969, 1994) houses, in recently remodeled and expanded spaces, library holdings, computer facilities, and curriculum collections. Specialized facilities for computer instruction, distance education classes, extended-hours studying and student support services are integral parts of the library. Group study rooms are available, and graduate students may apply for individual graduate carrels. The library contains over 500,000 volumes in open stack collections, including books, maps, periodicals and documents.
An on-line computer catalog allows users to search library holdings, area libraries, and other University of Wisconsin catalogs. Internet connections allow access to national and international catalogs and internet resources. By cooperative agreement, students can use the libraries of Viterbo College, Western Wisconsin Technical College and the La Crosse Public Library.
Librarians provide professional personalized services, using a variety of reference books and electronic databases, at a reference desk open 60 hours per week. Patrons requiring library materials not owned locally may use interlibrary loan services. This service locates and obtains material from libraries across the United States.
There are more than 1,900 current periodicals shelved on the first floor with bound and microfilm periodicals. The microforms collection numbers more than one million. A variety of foreign and domestic newspapers includes files of The New York Times, the Times of London, and other titles. Periodical indexes include CD-ROM, online, and paper formats. A growing number of indexes also include the full-text of an article.
Special strengths include area history, physical education materials, and documents. The Special Collections/Area Research Center contains the University Archives, rare books, over 3,500 hours of oral history tapes, a renowned photo collection, and many books on Wisconsin and river history. It is also a depository for the State Historical Society network for records and documents. The Curriculum Center houses a small video collection, textbooks, a complete collection of ERIC documents, and other aids to support teacher education programs. Murphy Library is a selective depository for state and federal documents; additional documents include United Nations and OAS publications. More information about Murphy Library Resource Center is available on the library's web page: http:\\www.uwlax.edu\MurphyLibrary.html.
The Center for the Arts (1973) houses Art, Communication Studies, Music, and Theatre Arts Department offices, classrooms, and practice and rehearsal rooms. It includes metal, ceramic, sculpture, and print-making laboratories; dressing rooms; costume shop; scene storage; drop stage areas; and other support facilities. The Art Gallery, Toland Theatre and Annett Recital Hall are in this building.
North Hall (1974) houses instructional and administrative facilities for the Departments of English, History, Political Science/Public Administration, Sociology/Archaeology and Women's Studies as well as the Departments of Accountancy, Economics, Finance, Management and Marketing in the College of Business Administration. The Business Development Center is also located here.
Cleary Alumni and Friends Center (1994) serves as a welcoming center for the entire campus and is designated for multiple use by alumni, faculty, students, parents and the community. The building includes a university-wide information center, a conference center, exhibit areas for university memorabilia and other displays, meeting rooms, social programming areas, special university guest rooms, telemarketing center, reference library on charitable giving, and offices. The center was built by the UW-La Crosse Foundation with contributions from alumni, friends and others. It is named for Russell and Gail Cleary, UW-L alumni who made a generous financial contribution to the building.
Recreational Eagle Center (1997) is a multi-purpose facility which is currently in construction and scheduled for completion during the summer of 1997. It will provide facilities for intramural/recreational activities and child care service. The building will include four basketball and six volleyball courts, a 200-meter cantilevered running track, aerobic exercise space, strength and fitness center, multi-purpose space for meetings and martial arts activities, locker room and shower facilities, student lounge areas, equipment storage areas, office areas and an Outdoor Connec-tion area for the storage (indoor and outdoor) and rental of recreational equipment (rollerblades, tents, sleeping bags, skis, canoes, etc.). The campus child center service, which is currently in the Campus Child Center building will be relocated to this building upon construction completion. The portion of the building housing the child center activity will be connected to the intramural/recreational areas by a corridor and will include separate areas for infants, preschool and school-age children of students, faculty and staff, as well as outdoor play space.
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse La Crosse, WI 54601 Area Code: (608) Admissions 115 Main Hall, 785-8067 Career Services Wilder Hall, 785-8514 Continuing Education and Extension 227 Main Hall, 785-6500 Dean of Graduate Studies 145 Main Hall, 785-8124 Financial Aid 215 Main Hall, 785-8604 Student Health Center Whitney Center, 785-8558 International Education 116 Main Hall, 785-8017 International Admissions 116 Main Hall, 785-8017 Intramural Office 118 Mitchell Hall, 785-8696 Multicultural Student Services 243 Main Hall, 785-8225 Student Life Office 149 Main Hall, 785-8062 Records and Registration 117 Main Hall, 785-8576 Residence Life 213 Wilder Hall, 785-8075 Student Support Services 105 Wilder Hall, 785-8535 Veterans Affairs 117 Main Hall, 785-8577
The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is governed by the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System. The Board of Regents as of April 30, 1997:
-- Michael W. Grebe, Milwaukee, President -- Jonathan B. Barry, Mt. Horeb -- John T. Benson, Madison -- Patrick G. Boyle, Madison -- JoAnne Brandes, Racine -- Brigit E. Brown, La Crosse -- Bradley D. DeBraska, Milwaukee -- Alfred S. De Simone, Kenosha -- Kathleen J. Hempel, Green Bay -- Ruth Marcene James, Fennimore -- Phyllis M. Krutsch, Washburn -- Sheldon B. Lubar, Milwaukee,Vice President -- Virginia R. MacNeil, Bayside -- San W. Orr, Jr., Wausau -- Gerard A. Randall, Jr., Milwaukee -- Jay L. Smith, Middleton -- George K. Steil, Sr., Janesville
--Katharine C. Lyall, President --David J. Ward, Senior Vice President, Academic Affairs --Keith R. Sanders, Senior Vice President, Administration --Marcia Bromberg, Vice President, Business and Finance --Paul L. Brown, Vice President, Physical Planning and Development --David W. Olien, Vice President, University Relations
THE CORE MISSION
As institutions in the University Cluster of the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, the University of Wisconsin-Platteville, the University of Wisconsin-River Falls, the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, the University of Wisconsin-Stout, the University of Wisconsin-Superior, and the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater share the following core mission. Within the approved differentiation stated in their select missions, each university in the Cluster shall:
The primary purpose of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is to provide education leading to baccalaureate and selected graduate degrees supplemented by appropriate research and public service activities as further detailed in the following set of goals:
The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse and/or it's programs are accredited by:
a member of:
This catalog is a record of graduate programs, courses, policies, staff and facilities as of April 1, 1995. The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse reserves the right to change any of the information in this catalog at any time and without giving prior notice. This catalog does not establish a contractual relationship. For a further explanation of your rights and responsibilities as a student please see theWelcome and Note to Students section.
Last Modified: Tuesday, March 03, 1998
Records and Registration
Copyright © 1996 by the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse and the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System. All Rights Reserved.