eagle atop Veterans Memorial at UW-La Crosse Links to Records Office and UW-L main home pages
Undergradaute & Graduate Catalogs Banner & link
Links to Current Students HomepageLinks to Contact Info for Records & Registration StaffLinks to How to Register for ClassesLinks to Transcript Services
Links to Office of Records and Registration Homepage Links back to UW-L Homepage Links to Undergrad/Grad Catalogs


| Table of Contents| Academic Programs by College| Campus Information | Welcome and Notes to Students | General Information | Admission to the University | Expenses and Financial Aid | The Campus | Services & Special Programs | Activities, Athletics, and Organizations | Academic Regulations and Student Conduct | Degree Requirements | Colleges & Schools |Undergraduate Course and Program Descriptions | Administrative, Faculty and Staff listings | Calendar | Campus Map |











The university establishes a fee schedule for each academic year. The fees are published in the class Timetable for each term. If you have questions about current fees, contact the Cashier’s Office, 121 Graff Main Hall.


The Board of Regents reserves the right to change tuition and fees without published notice.



Installment Billing


All students are required to pay a non-refundable $100.00 tuition deposit before registering for spring or fall classes. A deposit is not required for summer session or J Term, however, fees are due in full prior to the beginning of classes. This is in addition to the $75 deposit paid by students who choose to live in a residence hall.


The balance of semester charges for tuition, room and board is due not later than the end of the first session week; however, the university also offers an installment credit plan. Under this plan, about three weeks after classes start, students receive a bill for their remaining charges. They may elect either to pay the bill in full without interest by the billing due date, or pay one-half of the balance due and be billed one month later for the remainder plus interest.


Students who wish to use the payment plan must file an “Application for Installment Credit” form available in the Cashier’s Office, 121 Graff Main Hall. All students are urged to apply for the credit plan even though they may not intend to use it when they register for the first time. The agreement will cover all subsequent semester billings.



There is no installment payment plan available for summer session or J Term      enrollment.  Fees are due and payable in full before the start of classes. Students who register late must pay in full when they register.



 Return to Top





Students’ semester bills include a “Tuition and Fees” charge. The tuition charge is established by the Board of Regents. The fees charge is a segregated fee determined by the student government with the support of campus administration. It funds student services including the health center, textbook rental, student centers and the childcare center and activities such as athletics, intramurals and other organized activities.



Undergraduate course textbooks are available on a rental basis through the Textbook Rental Service.


Textbook rental for undergraduates is included in the semester segregated fee. Undergraduates may purchase their textbooks, at reduced prices, during a specified time period, if desired. Undergraduate students enrolled in graduate courses are expected to purchase texts.


Health Service

Students who meet Student Health Service requirements and pay the segregated fee at registration are eligible to receive outpatient care, physical therapy and laboratory service in the Health Center. Students carrying seven credits or more are automatically charged the segregated fee. Students carrying less than seven credits may choose to pay a health service fee. (A description of health care facilities and medical requirements for entering students is on p. 22.)


The following services are not provided: medicines, eye refraction, care of families of married students, medical and surgical  consultation outside of the Health Center, ambulance service, emergency room visits, hospitalization, house calls or after hours  visits, dental visits, X-ray examination,  premarital examinations, pregnancy care, infertility studies, sterilization procedures, abortion, routine physical examinations for employment, insurance or scholarship applications.


Check your current insurance policy to make sure you have adequate coverage for services not provided by the Health Center. If you do not have health insurance coverage, you may enroll in a student group insurance plan. If your current policy will expire during the school year, plan to purchase student group insurance at the beginning of the semester in which existing coverage will cease.






 Return to Top





Residence Halls

According to the Board of Regents policy, freshmen and sophomores who are not veterans, married students, or students residing in their parent’s or guardian’s home, must live in a university-operated residence hall when accommodations are available. Requests for exceptions to this policy must be made in writing to the Director of Residence Life.

A housing application packet will be sent only after you are officially admitted to the university. To file a valid room reservation, you must return the completed form with an advance deposit that will be credited on your final payment for the room. Residence hall facilities, regulations, and programs are described on p. 23.


Food Service

Although all students are invited to sign up for one of the meal plans offered by the food service, freshmen and sophomores who live in university residence halls are required to do so. As an entering student, you will be given an opportunity to select a meal plan that best fits your schedule. Should you find that your meal plan needs are different than you anticipated, you may request changes during the first two weeks of school.

Contract board service is provided in Whitney Center. Snack bars, vending machines, catering, and other food services are available in Cartwright Center for commuters as well as resident students. Food service is available only when the university is in session. Further information may be obtained from Student Activities and Centers, 212 Cartwright Center.



A typical semester budget

for a freshman who is a Wisconsin resident might include the following. All costs are estimates.


            Fees (instruction, textbook rental, athletic events, lectures and

            concerts, health services)                                                          $1,540


            Room (double occupancy)                                                        $880


            Board (meal plan)                                                                     $790


            Total per semester (with meal plan)                                           $3,210


(Non-resident freshmen [out-of-state] add $3,290.00 per semester.)


In addition, students are advised to allow for travel, spending money, clothing, etc.





 Return to Top





Students receiving financial aid must be able to establish definite financial need as assessed by the federal methodology system. Students must demonstrate their willingness to help themselves; parents, when applicable, are expected to help their sons and daughters from parental income and/or assets as much as they are able. Applications for financial aid from new, transfer, and reentry students are given consideration only after a student has been accepted for admission.


All students must maintain appropriate academic progress to receive Title IV Student Financial Assistance. No student with “Special Student Non-degree” status will be eligible for any financial aid, including the Stafford Loan.




New freshmen

Submit the admissions application and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). All forms are available from high school counselors or the Student Financial Aid Office. The FAFSA is also available on the internet at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Your family must submit IRS tax forms to UW-L.


Continuing students currently enrolled

Complete the university application for financial aid, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or the renewal application which is available on the internet at www.fafsa.ed.gov. All forms may be obtained from the Financial Aid Office. Your family must submit IRS tax forms to UW-L.


Transfer and reentry students

Submit the same forms as continuing students.


International Students

Submit the special form available from the International Student Adviser in the International Education Office.


There are no application deadline dates, but priority will be given to those applications ready to be processed by March 15, for the next academic year.



Notification Dates:


1.         You may expect to receive your notification between May 1 and June 15 if you apply before the priority date, complete all forms correctly, and respond to all requests for additional information. If you apply after the priority date, you will be notified as soon as possible after June 30.

2.         Applications received after June 1 will not be processed in time for applicants to have their aid by the time school opens in the fall. Students applying after June 1 should plan to pay all of their initial expenses from their own resources. This includes tuition, books, semester room and board costs and any incidental expenses that may be incurred.

 Return to Top

Aid Programs


Students filing complete applications will be notified of financial aid available for their use following processing. Those students qualifying for financial aid may receive aid from one or more of the following programs:


I.    Wisconsin Higher Education Grants (WHEG) and Talent Incentive Program

      Grants (TIP)

The WHEG program provides grant funds for Wisconsin resident undergraduate

students who establish moderate or extreme financial need.


            Maximum yearly award: $1500.


II.  Wisconsin/B.I.A. Native American Student Assistance Grants

Native American grants are available from the State of Wisconsin, B.I.A. or local tribe office. Students who have financial need and are at least one-fourth Native American are eligible to apply.


Maximum yearly award: Varies.


III.       Nonresident and Foreign Fee Waivers

Nonresident fee waivers are available to nonresident undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need and who possess qualities of leadership and special talents. Maximum yearly award: varies; maximum eight semesters of eligibility.

Foreign fee waivers are available to international students who enroll in undergraduate degree programs. These waivers are granted in varying amounts (approximately 25-60 percent of annual nonresident fees). Students must maintain full-time status and demonstrate good academic achievement. Guidelines and application forms are available in the UW-L Office of International Education.


IV.       Lawton UMRG Grant and Advanced Opportunity Programs (AOP)

Undergraduate and graduate level grants are available to minority students who can demonstrate financial need and adequate academic performance. Students apply through normal financial aid application procedures.


V.        Wisconsin Academic Excellence Scholarship Program

This program is administered by the Department of Public Instruction, local school boards and the Higher Educational Aids Board of Wisconsin. The grant covers most of tuition and fees. The scholarship goes to the top students of each high school, depending on the size of the high school.


VI.       Federal Grant Programs

Pell Grants — These grants are based on financial need and are available to qualified undergraduate students who are maintaining satisfactory academic progress. Maximum yearly award: $3,300. Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (S.E.O.G.) — These grants are available to qualified undergraduate students who establish extreme financial need and maintain at least half-time status. Maximum ten semesters of  eligibility.


VII.      Minority Counselor’s Choice Award

This grant is given to selected new minority freshmen students who are Wisconsin residents and have been nominated by their high school. Twenty-six $1,000.00 awards are given each year, administered by the Admissions Office.


 VIII.    Design for Diversity Nonresident Grant

This is a need-based four year program given to new minority nonresident students. This grant forgives the entire nonresident portion of their tuition charge. The student pays only the resident tuition rate and required fees. The number of new freshmen awards each year will range from six to ten.


IX.       Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan

Students attending at least half-time may apply for this loan using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. If eligible, the student secures the loan from a hometown bank, savings and loan association or credit union. Maximum yearly award: $2,625 for first year students; $3,500 for the second year; and $5,500 for the third through fifth years. Maximum cumulative loan totals have been increased to $23,000 for undergraduates.


X.        Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan

This program is designed for students who need additional financial assistance beyond the Federal Stafford Loan based on need. A student must first apply for the need-based Federal Stafford Loan. Annual loan limits as well as cumulative limits, are the same as the Federal Stafford Loan. The combination of subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loans cannot exceed $23,000 for undergraduates.

 Return to Top


XI.       PLUS Program

The PLUS (Parent Loan For Undergrad Students) Program makes loans available to the parents of dependent students. All borrowers under the PLUS Program must use the loan funds received solely to pay educational costs. Participating lenders (banks, savings and loan associations and credit unions) lend the funds and Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation guarantees the loan against default. Maximum yearly awards: A parent borrower may borrow the cost to attend minus other aid received. There is no other cap on the loan amount. There is no cumulative loan limit.


XII.      Federal Perkins Loan

Loans are available to students in need who are citizens of the United States, or are in the United States for other than temporary purposes. Undergraduate loans may not exceed $4,000 during an academic year and the total borrowed may not exceed $20,000 during four years. Amounts loaned to students are limited to funds available. Priority is given to students with greatest financial need. Repayment of the loan commences six months after the student ceases to be at least a half-time student. Borrowers may have up to ten years to make repayment. No interest is charged while the borrower is a qualified student and five percent is charged during the repayment period.


 XIII.    University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Foundation, Inc. Emergency Loans

These loans are granted for emergency purposes to students who have completed at least one semester and have good academic records. Emergency loans are made for up to 90 days. Students may apply at the Financial Aid Office in 215 Graff Main Hall.


 XIV.   College Student Work-Study Program

Financial need must be established to qualify for the program. Students given work under the College Work-Study Program will be employed by various campus departments and some off-campus agencies under the Community Service Program. All qualified Work-Study students may work up to 20 hours per week during the semester and summer session while enrolled in classes.


XV.      Student Employment Service/Job Locator Program

The Student Employment Service searches out employment for students who need or want to work. Employers list their openings which are posted in the Financial Aid Office. Interested students take down listed information and pursue the job as individuals. These jobs are non-need based.


XVI.    Scholarships — Scholarship Resource Center

Individuals and various private organizations offer educational assistance to qualified students. Sponsors include civic associations, social and professional associations, fraternal orders, veterans groups, parents, faculty, alumni, companies and corporations. Need and non-need based scholarships are offered by UW-L, as well as at the state, regional, and national levels. This resource area is located in Murphy Library. A good scholarship search is available on the internet at www.fastweb.com.

 Return to Top

Notes to all students:

Unless previously negotiated, all aid awards are based on full-time student status. Students carrying less than a full-time load will have their aid reduced accordingly.


It is the student’s responsibility to make sure the application is complete and moving through the processing system.


The student must make satisfactory academic progress per regulations published in this catalog. Failure to complete the necessary credits each year will render the student ineligible until such time that the minimum credits are earned.


Funding levels and regulations are subject to change at any time per state or federal budgetary and legislative mandates.



Satisfactory Academic Progress Standard

Federal law mandates that post-secondary institutions participating in Federal Title IV Student Financial Aid Programs, including student loans, have in place and monitor an academic progress policy. There are three components of the UW-L Satisfactory Academic Progress Standard for Financial Aid: grade point average (GPA), progress (credits attempted/credits earned), and the 150% rule.


1.  Grade point average is monitored by the various academic deans at UW-L. The grade point average provisions of the academic progress policy are listed in the UW-L catalog on p. 45. Failure to meet these conditions will result in the student being academically suspended from UW-L. The student will also lose eligibility for student financial aid, including student loans. Notification of non-compliance with the GPA component, and the appeal procedure for reinstatement are performed by the various academic deans. If an appeal is granted, eligibility for financial aid will be determined by the UW-L Financial Aid Office.


2.  Progress: effective September 1, 1996 all full-time and part-time undergraduate and graduate students must complete and pass 70% of all credits registered for at UW-L. This will be monitored on a yearly basis, September through August. Failure to comply with this component will result in the student’s financial aid eligibility, including student loans, being suspended.


3.  150% rule: the federal government has established that an eligible under-graduate student can receive Federal Title IV Student Financial Aid for credits attempted up to but not exceeding 150% of the published normal completion length of a student’s program. Credits transferred to UW-L and all credits attempted at UW-L cannot exceed this figure.


Credits Earned: the successful completion of a credit attempted is credit for which a grade of A, AB, B, BC, C, D, S, or P is received.


Withdrawal: any withdrawal after the start of a grading period will count as credit attempted and credit not earned.


Incompletes: will count as credit attempted and credit not earned until a passing grade has been recorded by the Records and Registration Office. It will be the responsibility of the student to notify the Financial Aid Office of any change in grade.


Repeated Credits: will be counted as attempted credits as many times as the course is repeated. Examples: 1) a three credit class is repeated and the second passed grade becomes the grade of record. The student has attempted six credits and has earned three credits, 2) the same scenario but the second grade is “F”. The student has attempted six credits and has earned no credits.


Appeals: a student not meeting the yearly progress component or the 150% rule

component of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Standard will be notified by the Financial Aid Office. The student can make an appointment in the Financial Aid Office, 215 Graff Main Hall, to discuss their situation. A written appeal outlining the reason(s) for failure to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress Standard will be required, and appropriate third-party documentation may be required. If an appeal is approved, eligibility for financial aid will be determined by the Financial Aid Office.


Credits attempted at UW-L and credits earned at UW-L will accumulate regardless of whether the student received financial aid, including student loans.



 Return to Top




Many scholarships and awards have been established by alumni, faculty and staff, parents, students, businesses, and organizations. Recipients are selected by scholarship committees on the basis of an application, grade point average and other materials as deemed appropriate by departmental committees. Scholarships are presented to students whose qualifications best fit the stipulations of the donor. Amounts vary annually based on funding from gifts or investment earnings available from a fund.


 Almost all scholarships are contingent upon full-time enrollment both fall and spring semesters at UW-L. Scholarships and awards are usually paid for the academic year in two payments, the first half in the fall semester and the other half in the spring semester.


 A scholarship and awards resource book listing all scholarships administered by the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Foundation, Inc. is available in the University Bookstore, Cartwright Center.


A general scholarship application is available to currently enrolled students at the UW-L Foundation Office, Cleary Alumni and Friends Center. It is also available on the University Website (http://www.uwlax.edu/StuServ/Records/index.html). This general application covers all scholarships requiring the General Scholarship/Award Application. Some require specific applications. Freshman applicants must submit the Freshman Scholarship Application. Applications are submitted to various offices that offer scholarships based on academic majors; please refer to the scholarship catalog. All applications (unless otherwise indicated) must be submitted to the UW-L Foundation Office. The deadline for scholarship applications is March 1 each year. Scholarships and awards are announced at the honors reception set for the last Monday in April.


 The Foundation also administers a number of individual funds which provide for interest-free, short-term emergency loans to students in need, provided they are enrolled for a full credit load of non-repeat courses. The Financial Aid Office, 215 Graff Main Hall, has more information and application forms.



  Return to Top




The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Foundation, Inc., is a non-profit, tax-exempt Wisconsin corporation, created in 1967 to support the purposes and services of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. Designated by the Chancellor as the charitable arm of the university, the Foundation is responsible for encouraging and administering gifts from private sources and channeling those funds into areas where the university’s needs are the greatest.






The university is fully approved for the education of veterans and veterans’ dependents under both federal and state programs. New students who qualify for benefits should report to the Veterans Benefits Coordinator in the Records and Registration Office, 117 Graff Main Hall, before or during registration. After this initial contact, registered students should keep the benefits coordinator apprised of their status and needs.


If you receive support from veteran programs, you are required to report to the Records and Registration Office after registering for classes each semester to complete an enrollment certification card. The university must certify your attendance and credit load to the Veterans Administration.


Payments of veterans’ benefits depend on the number of credits carried. Students should carry at least 12 credits to receive full benefits under most programs. Payment will be awarded according to the schedule at right:


A key ingredient to your success as a student at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is for you to become familiar with the various services, programs and sources of support available to you. Changing majors and re-thinking career decisions is a common occurrence. Perhaps you need assistance with personal concerns or academic skills. Maybe you are interested in special programs to augment your classroom learning. The University provides many resources to assist you in your development.


  Return to Top

This catalog is a record of undergraduate programs, courses, policies, staff and facilities as of April 1, 2001.

Edited by Kathy Hollon and Sharyn Lehrke, Records and Registration www.uwlax.edu/records/ug-cat/index.html


Last Modified:August 25, 2008
comments To: records@uwlax.edu
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse  1725 State Street  La Crosse, WI  54601  608.785.8000
All material Copyright© 2002 by the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse and the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System

Hit Counter