eagle atop Veterans Memorial at UW-La Crosse Links to Records Office and UW-L main home pages
Undergradaute & Graduate Catalogs Banner & link
Links to Current Students HomepageLinks to Contact Info for Records & Registration StaffLinks to How to Register for ClassesLinks to Transcript Services
Links to Office of Records and Registration Homepage Links back to UW-L Homepage Links to Undergrad/Grad Catalogs


Table of Contents
| Academic Programs by College| Campus Information | Welcome and Notes to Students | General Information | Admission to the University | Expenses and Financial Aid | The Campus | Services & Special Programs | Activities, Athletics, and Organizations | Academic Regulations and Student Conduct | Degree Requirements | Colleges & Schools |Undergraduate Course and Program Descriptions | Administrative, Faculty and Staff listings | Calendar | Campus Map 




























Academic records are confidential between the student and the university. Students may request transcripts of their permanent academic records at any time, provided they are not financially encumbered to the university. Official transcripts cost $5 per set. Transcripts may be requested in person or by writing to the Records and Registration Office. Transcripts will not be released without the student’s authorizing signature. Under no circumstances will partial transcripts be issued.


Notice of rights of access to student records and directory information definition under the U.S. Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended.


UW-L informs students of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), as amended in all catalogs and schedules published each year. This Act, with which the university intends to comply fully, was designed to protect the privacy of education records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their education records, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. Students have the right to file complaints with the FERPA Compliance Office concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the Act.


The university follows the national guidelines for compliance with the provisions of the Act. A copy of the written procedures may be found in the Records and Registration Office. This office also maintains a Directory of Records, which lists all education records maintained on students by this institution.


UW-L designates the following categories of student information as public or “Directory Information.” Such information may be disclosed by the institution for any purpose, at its discretion.


Category I.

Names, addresses, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, attendance and school and/or college status.


Category II.

Previous institution(s) attended, past and present participation in officially recognized

sports and activities, physical factors (height, weight, etc. for athletes), date and place of birth.


Category III.

Major field of study, awards, honors (includes Dean’s List), degree(s) conferred, date(s) awarded.


Currently enrolled students may withhold disclosure of any category of information under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. To withhold disclosure, written notification must be received in the Records and Registration Office, 117 Graff Main Hall, prior to the end of the second week of each semester or the end of the first week of a summer session. Forms requesting the withholding of Directory Information are available in the Records and Registration Office. The university assumes that failure on the part of any student to make a specific request for the withholding of categories of Directory Information, within the time period mentioned above, indicates individual approval for disclosure.




 Return to Top




You may audit courses under the following arrangements:


1.  You must receive consent of the department chair and the instructor offering the


2.  No change from audit to credit will be permitted after the first week of classes. No

    change from credit to audit will be permitted after the first half of a semester or

    summer session. Shorter courses have prorated deadlines

3.  No credit will be granted for any course that is audited. “Aud” will appear on your

     permanent academic record. The “AS”–“AU” grading system is used for auditors.

    (The grade will not affect your GPA.)

4.  An audited course may be repeated for credit in another semester or term.

5.  Appropriate fees are to be paid for the course.

6.  Courses being audited are not usable to establish full-time or part-time status for any type of eligibility — such as for athletic participation, student grants/ loans, or loan deferment.



            Courses being audited may not be taken in excess of student load limits for credit

generating courses without special  “overload” permission from your academic dean. 






Freshman                                                         0-29 semester credits

    1 – 1st semester freshman                             0-14 credits

    2 – 2nd semester freshman                            15-29 credits

Sophomore                                                      30-59 credits

    3 – 1st semester sophomore                         30-44 credits

    4 – 2nd semester sophomore                        45-59 credits

Junior                                                               60-89 credits

    5 – 1st semester junior                                  60-74 credits

    6 – 2nd semester junior                                 75-89 credits

Senior                                                              90 credits or more

    7 – 1st semester senior                                 90-104 credits

    8 – 2nd semester senior                                105 credits/more


    9 –  special non-degree student

    R –   special non-degree student who has an undergraduate degree

    J –    second degree student


In addition to the above classifications, students are often classified by the college in which they are enrolled:

    A —         School of Arts and Communication

    B —         College of Business Administration

    E —         School of Education

    G —         Graduate Student

    H —         College of Science and Allied Health

    L —         College of Liberal Studies

    P —         College of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Teacher Education





 Return to Top




A.   All credits earned by examination or through retroactive credit will have full

      academic value (i.e., they will count toward the total required for graduation and, if

      applicable, fulfill pre-requisite requirements for advanced courses, General Education

      requirements, core requirements and/or major/minor requirements.)

B.  Credit will be entered but no grade will be recorded on the permanent academic


C.  Credits earned in this manner will not be counted in determining the grade point


D.  Credits earned by examination will not be counted as part of a student’s course load.

E.   A maximum of 32 semester credits earned in this manner at other accredited

      institutions will be accepted as transfer credits.

F.  Restrictions:

1.  The maximum credits one may earn by examination is 32 credits; 16 for an

     associate degree.

2.  No student will be permitted to attempt to receive credit by examination for a

     particular course more than once.

3.  A student may earn credits by examination only after admission to and

     enrollment at UW-L. A student will be regarded as “regularly admitted and

     enrolled” after attending on a full-time or part-time basis and paying the

     appropriate fees in a regular semester or summer session.

4.  No one who has received a final grade in a course or an “incomplete” may earn

     credit by examination for the same course.

5.  A student may not receive credit by examination or retroactive credit for a

    course they are auditing or have audited at UW-L.

6.  No student who has withdrawn from a UW-L course after the first four weeks

     may earn credit for the course by examination.


See p. 10 for types of credit by examination and retroactive credits.






Undergraduate students with senior status (at least 90 credits) who have at least a 3.00 cumulative grade point average, may enroll in a maximum of six graduate credits. These graduate level credits may not be used to satisfy requirements for a bachelor’s degree. Exceptions to these requirements must be approved by the Graduate Council. Maximum student credit load for dual enrollment (graduate/undergraduate) is 15 credit hours for a semester and eight credit hours for a summer session (standard university overload approval process applies.) Undergraduate students are not allowed to enroll in graduate MBA courses.


Students must submit written permission from the course instructor and their adviser along with a graduate special non-degree application, to the admissions office prior to registering for a graduate course. The touch-tone registration system cannot accommodate senior dual enrollment; therefore, registration for the graduate course(s) must be done via mail or in person at the Records and Registration Office. Undergraduate tuition and fees are charged. Students are expected to purchase texts for graduate courses.




 Return to Top





Scholastic standing is determined by the grade point system. Grade points are used to determine an official scholastic average for each student. A semester grade point average is calculated by dividing the grade points earned by the number of credits attempted that semester. The cumulative average is the total number of grade points earned divided by the total number of credits attempted.

Undergraduates must maintain an average of 2.00 as the minimum standard for satisfactory work after the fourth semester of attendance. (See p. 43)


Effective beginning spring semester, January 1994, the university adopted a seven-step grading scale with point values assigned as follows:




4.00 grade points/credit



3.50 grade points/credit



3.00 grade points/credit



2.50 grade points/credit



2.00 grade points/credit



1.00 grade points/credit



0.00 counted as credits attempted





Additional university grades and grade points used but not part of the scale adopted in 1994:


I    incomplete 

   0 (not counted as credits attempted)

W, WP – withdraw passing

   0 (not counted as credits attempted)

WF – withdraw failing

  0 (counted as credits attempted, averaged into GPA)

EP – emergency withdrawal/passing*

  0 (not counted as credit attempted)

EF – emergency withdrawal/failing*

  0 (not counted as credits attempted)

AS – audit satisfactory

  0 (not counted as credits attempted)

AU – audit unsatisfactory

  0 (not counted as credits attempted)

S - satisfactory

  0 (counted as credits earned)

U – unsatisfactory

 0 (not counted as credits attempted)

P - pass

 0 (counted as credits earned)

F - fail

  0 (counted as credits attempted, averaged into GPA)

NA – non-attendance

  0 (averaged into GPA; if an instructor utilizes the “NA” grade to indicate “non-attendance”, the “NA” will be automatically converted to an “F” and will be counted as credits attempted.)

NR – no report

  0 (not averaged into GPA; the “NR” grade is posted

  for all missing grades)

*NOTE:  The faculty Committee on Academic Policies and Standards has established EP and EF as grades that are to be utilized only for the emergency medical withdrawal of students.  These grades will be recorded on the permanent academic record to indicate level of performance at the time of withdrawal; however, such grades will not be averaged into the student’s grade point average.




 Return to Top

Change of Grade

An instructor may request to change a final grade three semesters immediately following the close of the semester in which the grade is first recorded, excluding summer. The instructor and department chair authorize the change by signing a “Change of Grade” form and forwarding it to the appropriate dean for signature. The dean will then file it with the Records and Registration Office. A change of grade after three semesters may be made only upon approval of the Faculty Committee on Academic Policies and Standards. Requests must be made in writing and must be supported in writing by the instructor and the department chair. These papers are forwarded to the student’s academic dean for presentation to the faculty committee.


Dean’s Honors Lists

To be eligible for inclusion on any honors list compiled and published by a dean’s office at the end of each semester, students must have earned not less than a 3.50 semester grade point average and have carried a minimum of 12 semester credits.


Appeal of Final Grade

All departments must establish policies and procedures which enable students to appeal final grades. These policies and procedures must outline the progression of a formal appeal and specify who, if anyone, is empowered to change a final grade. All appeals for a final grade change must be initiated in writing through the department in question during the semester immediately following the semester in which the grade was earned. A copy of each department’s policies and procedures must be filed in the office of the appropriate dean.


Reports on Grades and Credits

Official grades are issued at the end of a term, not at the end of each course. Grades are not mailed. They are available electronically on the Web. Students enrolled in General Education courses may receive notices of unsatisfactory work at mid-term. If you have unsatisfactory reports at any time, you are expected to seek counseling and help with your studies. Available resources include the instructor(s), adviser, and department tutors. Student services staff, particularly Counseling and Testing Center personnel, will provide assistance on a confidential basis. Freshmen, especially, are encouraged to seek help at the earliest sign of academic difficulty. The university assumes that students will communicate regularly with parents or guardians with respect to academic status and progress.





An Incomplete (“I”) is a temporary grading symbol (not a final course grade) which may be reported for a student who has carried a subject through the last date that one may withdraw from a course and then, because of illness or other unusual and substantiated cause beyond the student’s control, has been unable to take or complete the final examination, or to complete some limited amount of course work.


In no case may an Incomplete be recorded by an instructor for a student who, through personal fault, has failed either to complete the requirements of the course on time or failed to report for the final examination as scheduled.


Before an Incomplete is reported, there should be, in the judgment of the instructor, a reasonable probability that the student can complete the course successfully without again attending class sessions.


Removal of an Incomplete


An Incomplete (“I”) will be removed when the student submits all work due and the date, an Incomplete must be removed and a final grade recorded in the Records and Registration Office no later than  mid-term of the second term in residence  following the term in which the incomplete was incurred. (Only semesters are counted as terms.) A dean may approve a petition for a time  extension.


In order to remove an Incomplete, the student must make arrangements with the instructor for the satisfactory completion of the work remaining to be done in the course. This work was indicated on the “Information Sheet for Filing of an Incomplete Grade” that was submitted by the student and the instructor when the “I” was originally requested.


When the work has been completed the instructor submits a final grade, which must also be approved by the department chairperson and the student’s dean. If the deadline for completion is not met, a grade of “F” will be recorded automatically at the time stated above. If the nstructor indicated a grade other than “F” on the information sheet that was filed, that grade will be used instead of “F”.



A student should never register again for any course to remove a previously recorded Incomplete unless the “I” grade has been converted to “F”. This conversion of the “I” must be done prior to re-enrollment. The grade earned in repetition will supersede the “F” recorded, according to established regulations for course repetition.


 Return to Top




Undergraduate students, upon enrollment, are assigned immediately to one of the schools or colleges within the university for advisement, registration, and record-keeping purposes. They may transfer by meeting prescribed admission, curriculum, or other requirements of the new school or college of their choice. Intra-university transfers are initiated at the dean’s office of the college or school to which one wishes to transfer. Students wishing to transfer from one college or school to another must be in good academic standing at the time of the transfer. Students wishing to transfer who are not in good academic standing should consult with the dean’s office of the college or school to which they wish to transfer.


Admission and other requirements vary among the schools and colleges and their programs. Frequently, additional credits and time are needed to complete graduation requirements after an intra-university transfer. Students who decide to make such changes are responsible for familiarizing themselves with requirements.






The standard undergraduate load is 16 credits per semester. Credit loads of 19 or more constitute an “overload” and may be carried only if an application is made in writing, endorsed by the assigned academic adviser, and approved by the dean of the school or college in which the applicant is enrolled. Overloads are not approved for first semester freshmen or for any student with a cumulative grade point average less than a 3.25.


The standard undergraduate load during an eight-week summer session is eight semester credits. This is the maximum number of credits that can be earned during the regular summer session. Interim Session credit load policy — a student may earn, as a maximum, the number of credits corresponding to the number of weeks in any interim session — i.e., three weeks = three credits.


To be considered “full-time,” under-graduate students must carry a minimum of 12 semester credits during the semester and six credits during a summer session. “Half-time” is based on six credits for a semester and three credits for summer session. Credits carried on an “audit” basis do not count as part of a load to establish full-time or half-time status for any type of eligibility — for sports, loans, etc.


UW-Extension independent learning courses taken during a regular term are considered part of an individual’s load for one term only. Credits taken by correspondence, if properly approved, may count toward the undergraduate degree, but are not averaged into the cumulative grade point average.



 Return to Top




1.  Credits taken on a P/F basis will not be averaged into a grade point average if “P” is

     filed by the instructor. The credits will count as credits earned. An “F” will be

     averaged in and will be counted as credits attempted (Specific courses are approved

     for pass/fail grading. Students do not have the option to request a graded course be

     changed to P/F.)

2.  Students on academic probation are ineligible for P/F credit courses, except for those

     enumerated 050 courses.


3.  21 credits is the maximum number of P/F course work hours applicable to an

     undergraduate degree.


Students should realize that P/F graded courses might not be accepted in transfer to other institutions of higher learning. Professional schools are especially reluctant to accept P/F graded course work.


Some employers, principals, and/or superintendents may be unable to acknowledge credits or reward employees, especially graduate students working on advanced degrees, when course work has been taken under the P/F grading system.






The UW System remedial education policy was approved by the Board of Regents in November 1988. Remediation data supports the notion that a high percentage of students needing remediation in the skills area (English/Math) continue to be successful college students. 


Placement and registration in English and math courses is determined by using the scores earned on the Wisconsin Regional Placement Exams and the American College Test (ACT). Students not demonstrating adequate competency in English and/or math, will be required to enroll in remedial courses(s). ENG 050, MTH 050, and 051 are  courses designed for students whose test scores indicate a low probability for success in college-level courses. These credits do not count toward graduation. Any student may enroll in  ENG 050 or MTH 050; however, if you need either or both courses, you must  complete the requirement(s) prior to earning 30 degree credits. You will not be allowed to register in higher level English or math courses until you have successfully completed the remedial course(s). Students who place in MTH 051 may be required to enroll in this course for some majors; for other majors it is recommended. ENG 050 is graded pass/fail; MTH is letter graded  (F counts as credits attempted and is averaged into GPA; other grades do not.)





When a course in which a student has previously earned a “D” or “F” is repeated, the grade earned in repetition will supersede the previously recorded grade. The original grades earned are never deleted from the permanent academic record when a course is repeated; however, such grades are dropped from the calculation of cumulative grade point average. It is thereby possible to improve your grade point average. Courses for which a grade of “C” or better has been recorded may not be repeated.


In compliance with established university policy, failing grades and deficiencies in grade point averages may be removed only by taking work in residence at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. Courses may not be repeated at another institution and transferred to this university.



If a student withdraws from or fails to complete a course taken as a “Repeat,” the original grade earned will be immediately reinstated in the overall grade point average calculation.



 Return to Top




The academic status of a student is determined by semester grade point average (GPA), cumulative GPA, the number of semesters of university attendance (including semesters at other campuses for transfer students), and previous or current academic status. For the purpose of academic status, a semester is a term in which a student is enrolled for one or more credits. Neither a summer session nor a term in which a student withdraws from the university is counted as a semester of attendance.


      Definitions of academic status as reported on students’ records:



            Good Standing - never been on probation I or II or ineligible

            Good Standing I - previously placed on Probation I

            Good Standing II - previously placed on Probation II

            Probation I - placed on probation the first time

            Probation II - placed on probation at the end of the third or subsequent

            semester; or

               - placed on probation the second time; or

               - readmitted by the dean’s office after having been

                  ineligible to return.

            Ineligible to Return - not eligible to continue at the university




A.   To remain in good standing, students’ cumulative GPA must be 1.60 at the end of the

       first semester, 1.80 at the end of the second and third semesters, and 2.00 or above

       each successive semester.

B.   To assist students in their orientation to university level work, the minimum

      acceptable standards for retention are defined as follows:

1.  Students placed on probation after the first or second semester of attendance

     shall be given two probationary semesters to attain good standing. Students

    failing to meet this standard will be declared ineligible to return.

2.  Students placed on probation at the end of the third or subsequent semesters

     shall be given one probationary semester to attain good standing. Students

     failing to meet this standard will be declared ineligible to return.

3.  Continuing students who do not remain in good standing after the completion

     of any two probationary semesters shall be declared ineligible to return.

C.  Transfer students are required to meet the retention standards prescribed in this

      section. These standards are based on the total number of semesters attended at all

      colleges and universities.

D.  Students who desire to improve their records may request permission to attend

      summer sessions. If a student is allowed to enroll for a summer session, a re-

      evaluation of the student’s scholastic status will be made at the conclusion of the

      summer term.

E.  No academic action is taken as a result of J Term attendance nor is the previous

     semester’s academic action impacted by J Term attendance.

F.    Deficiencies in grade point averages and failing grades in courses taken at the UW-L

      may be removed only by taking work in residence at the university.






good standing if cumulative GPA not less than

probation I or II if cumulative GPA less than

ineligible if semester GPA less than













4 and beyond





 Return to Top



A.        Students are placed on academic probation if their academic records do not meet

            the standard set by the university. Notice of probationary status indicates that

            improvement is necessary in order for students to attain the minimum cumulative

            grade point average of 2.00 required by their fourth semester and thereafter.

B.         Students will be removed from probation at the end of any term in which they

            attain the required cumulative GPA.

C.        Policies regarding students entering on probation are:

1.  Freshmen will be removed from probation if they attain a grade point average

     of 1.60 or more after one semester. Thereafter, probation/retention status is

     determined on the same basis as for freshmen not entering on probation.

     Freshmen who enter on probation and continue on probation are ineligible to

     continue beyond a second semester if their cumulative GPA prior to the

     beginning of the third semester is below 1.80.

2.  Transfer students admitted on probation are allowed a maximum of two

     semesters in attendance to attain a grade point average that is equal to or

     exceeds the prescribed GPA. If they fail to do so, they are notified that they are

     ineligible to continue. Probationary status is removed if the cumulative GPA

     equals or exceeds the required standards.





A.        When the given period of academic probation has been allowed and/or satisfactory progress has not been made in meeting the required academic standard of the university, students are declared ineligible to return. The required standards are:

1.  First semester students will be declared ineligible if they earn a semester GPA

     below 1.00.

2.  Second semester students will be declared ineligible if they earn a semester

    GPA below 1.25 or are on probation for the second time and earn a cumulative

    GPA below 1.80.

3.  Third semester students will be declared ineligible if they earn a semester GPA

     below 1.50 or are on probation for the second time and earn a cumulative GPA

     below 1.80.

4.  Fourth semester and beyond students will be declared ineligible if they earn a

semester GPA below 1.50 or are on probation for the first or second time and

earn a cumulative GPA below 2.00.

B.         Students who have been declared ineligible to return will not be eligible for

            readmission to the university for at least one academic year. After one year,

            ineligible students may apply to the dean of the appropriate college or school for

            readmission. Students who have been declared ineligible to return, and then

            readmitted at a later date, shall be given one semester of probation to attain good

            standing or become ineligible to return.

C.        Students who have been declared academically ineligible to continue at the

            university may request a hearing from the Committee on Academic Policies and

            Standards (CAPS) if it can be demonstrated that their academic suspension was

           due to factors beyond their control and that the causes have been removed. The

           written request should be directed to the committee in care of the dean of the

           college or school in which the student is enrolled.

D.        The university does not permit students who have been suspended for academic

            reasons at any other campus to enroll until they are eligible for re-admission at

            their former campus.

E.         It is assumed that students declared ineligible to continue at UW-La Crosse will

            not be admitted to other accredited colleges or universities during their period of

            ineligibility. Should they be admitted, and should they earn credits at another

            institution, UW-L reserves the right to disallow credit for courses taken



 Return to Top



If the enrollment management plan will permit registering additional students, late registrants for a semester or summer session will be accepted and enrolled under normal late registration policies and procedures. Registration is closed at the end of the second week of classes in a semester and after one week in a summer session. A fee deposit is required prior to registration.






The period of time between a student’s  initial registration for any term through the first five days of instruction in any semester (three days during summer session) are considered to be the “drop/add — change-of-schedule” period. During this time, a student may drop classes without affecting his/her permanent academic record; he/she may also add classes or change sections, if the desired section is not closed. Neither the adviser’s signature nor the instructor’s  signature is required for schedule changes during this period. The signatures of the department chair and the instructor will be required only if a student seeks to enter a class that is closed. Between the fifth and tenth days of instruction, to add a course, the student must obtain the instructor’s signature. After the tenth day of instruction, classes cannot be added except in unusual cases and then only with the consent of the instructor, department chair and dean.






A student enrolled in any course is expected to be in attendance from the first day or to have notified the instructor or the Office of Student Life that attendance is not possible. A student registered in a section who fails to attend the first two class sessions or provide proper notification may be dropped from the course at the discretion of the instructor. An instructor who wishes to drop a student from a course during the first five days of instruction should complete a drop/add form and submit it to the Records and Registration Office during the “drop/add — change-of-schedule” period. A decision by an instructor to drop a student from a class may not be appealed to any other individual or body in the university.


A student should not assume that an instructor will use the discretionary drop if he/she does not attend class. It is a student’s responsibility to withdraw from a class.


 Return to Top



Any student may withdraw from a class until one week beyond mid-term of a semester or summer session. All withdrawals from classes after the “drop/add — change-of-schedule” period will be recorded with a “W” on the student’s permanent  academic record along with the official date of withdrawal. Half-term courses (either semester or summer session) or short-term courses will have withdrawal time limits established on a basis prorated to withdrawal dates for full-term courses. The student must obtain either his/her adviser’s or the instructor’s signature during this time  period. No student is permitted to withdraw from a class later than one week beyond mid-term of a semester or summer session. Only a grade of “F” or “I” may be recorded for any student who enters this time period and fails to complete a course. (Exceptions — See “Withdrawal from the University” on this page)


The number of class withdrawals permitted to students is limited as follows:


  1. Each student shall be allowed unlimited class withdrawals during the first two semesters of attendance, excluding summer session.


  1. After the first two semesters, a student shall be allowed four class withdrawals during the balance of his/her undergraduate career at this university, including summer sessions.


  1. Drops effected during the “drop/add — change-of-schedule” period are not counted as class withdrawals.


  1. A student who withdraws from all classes is considered to have withdrawn from the university (see the section “Withdrawal from the University” which follows). The classes from which the student withdraws at the time the withdrawal from the university is completed shall not count against the withdrawal total.


  1. The dean of a student’s college may grant exceptions on a case-by-case basis. Decisions by a dean in this regard cannot be appealed to the Committee on Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS).


Any student enrolled for only one class who wishes to withdraw from that class must complete withdrawal procedures as outlined in the section titled “Withdrawal from the University” which follows.


Failure to follow the prescribed procedures and to observe the prescribed time limits for withdrawal from classes will result in the recording of failing grades in discontinued courses.



If a student withdraws from or fails to complete a course taken as a “repeat,” the original grade earned will be 
immediately reinstated in the overall grade point average calculation.




Withdrawal from the University


Withdrawal from the university is a matter of major importance. A student considering withdrawal from school should discuss the matter with his/her academic adviser, dean, and counselors prior to initiating action. The official date of withdrawal from all classes will be recorded on the permanent academic record if the student withdraws after classes begin.


Forms for withdrawing from the university may be obtained from the Office of Student Life. The forms provide a checklist which withdrawing students are expected to follow carefully.


Withdrawal procedures must be fully completed before a withdrawal becomes official. An official withdrawal entitles a student to a refund of fees when the withdrawal date falls within a refund period. The official date of withdrawal is the date the withdrawal form is received in the Records and Registration Office. A “W” (Withdrawal) will appear on the student’s academic transcript if the withdrawal date is prior to one week after mid-term of a given semester. A grade of “WP” or “WF” will appear if the withdrawal falls after the mid-term point.* A grade of WF will be averaged into the GPA. Withdrawal from the university is not allowed after the three quarter point of the semester or summer term.


An unofficial withdrawal will result in recording failing grades in discontinued courses and in encumbering of student records if the following obligations to the university have not been met: returning books to textbook service and Murphy Library; returning other university supplies and/or equipment issued during preceding periods of regular enrollment; clearing a record through an exit interview in the Financial Aid Office if necessary; and securing a final clearance in the Cashier’s Office with respect to any refund(s) which may be due or obligations unfulfilled regarding university fees, housing or food service arrangements or accounts, and relinquishing the student identification card.


Emergency medical withdrawal from the university may be initiated by the student or an authorized agent at any time. It must be supported by a letter from a physician which is first processed by the Student Health Center to verify its authenticity. After such verification, the Student Health Center will immediately notify the Office of Student Life, which will notify the Records and Registration Office, the Cashier’s Office, the appropriate academic dean, and all of the student’s instructors. When the withdrawal is

completed, the Records and Registration Office will notify instructors if a grade is required. The  emergency medical withdrawal is intended for use only when totally withdrawing from the university.


The permanent academic record may show that no credits were earned, but the status of the student’s grades at the time of the withdrawal will be posted. The record will show one of the following grades submitted by the instructor: “EP” (Emergency Withdrawal Passing), or “EF” (Emergency Withdrawal Failing.) Such grades will not be included in the computation of the term or cumulative grade point average.


Any exceptions to the policies of the emergency medical withdrawal must be appealed to the university’s Committee on Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS).



 Return to Top




Name and Address Changes

It is the student’s responsibility to keep appropriate offices advised of changes. Campus (local) or permanent (legal) home addresses may be changed on the web (www.uwlax.edu/current.htm). Official name changes may be done in the Records and Registration Office, 117 Graff Main Hall.


Class Attendance

Students are responsible to their respective instructors for all absences. If a student is absent an extended period of time (over one week), due to illness, family emergency, etc., the student must contact the Student Life Office, 147 Graff Main Hall. That office will inform the instructors involved of the absence. This serves as notification only, not necessarily a formal excuse. It is the student’s responsibility to contact each instructor for make-up work, etc. There is no “cut” system. University regulations prohibit excusing students and the dismissal of classes immediately preceding or immediately following scheduled vacation or recess periods except in cases of commonly recognized and extreme emergencies.


Cross-Listed Course

A course offered by more than one department that has the same course description, credits and title but different prefixes (e.g., ENG 310/EDM 310; MTH 461/PHY 461) is a cross-listed course. Students may only earn credit once for taking a cross-listed course.


Accommodation of Religious Beliefs

It is the policy of the Board of Regents that students’ sincerely-held religious beliefs shall be reasonably accommodated with respect to all examinations and other academic requirements. The University guidelines state that the claim of a religious conflict should be accepted at face value, and any student with a conflict between an academic requirement and any religious observance must be given an alternative means of meeting the academic requirement. The student must notify the instructor within the first two weeks of class of the specific days/dates for which the student will request relief. It is understood that instructors may set reasonable limits on the total number of days claimed by any one student. Instructors are not obliged to schedule make-up exams before the regularly scheduled requirements. Complaints may be filed with the Office of Affirmative Action and Diversity, 235 Graff Main Hall.


Final Examinations

A final examination will be given in each course within a special examination period except for one-credit courses which will have exams scheduled at the last regular meeting of the class. The examination periods, dates, and times are included in each semester’s Timetable. The relative importance assigned to the final examination is determined by the instructor in charge of each course.


Study Day: no final examination shall be given to any student on Study Day. Study Day is a day to prepare for the final examination period. No faculty or student activities of any sort shall be scheduled on Study Day. This includes make-up classes or tests, faculty or student committee meetings and athletic practices or events.




CAPS is the faculty committee for formulating and reviewing local policies and standards for admissions and academic activity; ensuring equitable application of the standards by the colleges and school; and developing procedures for hearing student appeals and petitions on academic matters. Membership of the committee consists of nine faculty and three students. The director of admissions and the registrar serve as administrative consultants. The chancellor selects an additional  administrative consultant.


 Return to Top




1.         Academic Status — See p. 43.


2.         Substitution for Course or Graduation Requirement — Submit petition to the dean of the school or college in which enrolled. (Refer to item 3, p. 54, under “Baccalaureate Degrees” for special note on time limit.)


3.         Time Extension for Make Up of an Incomplete — See p.  41.


4.         Change of Grade — See p.  41.


5.         Appeal of Grade Received — See p.  41.


6.         Time Extension for Program Requirements — Submit petition to the dean of the school or college in which enrolled.


7.         Appeal for Exception to Current Academic Policy — Submit petition to the dean of the college or school in which enrolled for action by the Committee on Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS).


8.         Any appeal not covered above, but related to the academic activities of a department, should be made directly to the department chair who will apprise petitioning students of correct appeal procedures.






In 1989, the Board of Regents adopted an administrative code Chapter UWS 14, which covers academic misconduct. Its principles state that "The Board of Regents, administrators, faculty, academic staff, and students of the University of Wisconsin system believe that academic honesty and integrity are fundamental to the mission of higher education and of the University of Wisconsin system. The University has a responsibility to promote academic honesty and integrity and to develop procedures to deal effectively with instances of academic dishonesty. Students are responsible for the honest completion and representation of their work, for the appropriate citation of sources, and for respect of others' academic endeavors. Students who violate these standards must be confronted and must accept the consequences of their actions." 


The Board also revised Chapter UWS 17, which covers non-academic misconduct. In it, they state that " The Board of Regents, administration, faculty, academic staff and students of the University of Wisconsin system believe that the teaching, learning, research and service activities of the university can flourish only in an environment that is safe from violence and free of harassment, fraud, theft, disruption and intimidation. The University has a responsibility to identify basic standards of non-academic conduct necessary to protect the community, and to develop procedures to deal effectively with instances of misconduct while observing the procedural and substantive rights of students. Any person who violates state or federal laws on university property may face prosecution in the appropriate courts. In addition, students, faculty or staff who violate university standards are subject to university disciplinary action."


The procedures in both Chapters 14 and 17 describe the actions that the university may take in response to student misconduct; they define the conduct that is prohibited; and they outline the procedures that are to be used to resolve allegations of misconduct. The UW-La Crosse student disciplinary procedures are identical to those in UWS 14 and UWS 17. These documents can be found in the UW-L Eagle Eye, available at the Office of Student Life Web site, www.uwlax.edu/StudentLife/main2.html.  It also includes UWS Chapter 18, "Conduct on University Lands", which describes prohibited behavior and parking regulations.


The students at UW-La Crosse have adopted the following honor statement: "We, the students of UW-La Crosse, believe that academic honesty and integrity are fundamental to the mission of higher education. We, as students, are responsible for the honest completion and representation of our work and respect for others' academic endeavors. It is our moral responsibility as students to uphold these ethical standards, and to respect the character of the individuals and the university."






We, the students of UW-La Crosse, believe that academic honesty and  integrity are fundamental to the mission of higher education.  We, as students, are responsible for the honest completion and representation of our work and respect for others' academic endeavors.  We, as students, and responsible citizens of the city of La Crosse, will aim to uphold the integrity of the University throughout the La Crosse community.  It is our individual responsibility as students to uphold these ethical standards and to respect the character of the individuals and the university.


Return to Top

This catalog is a record of undergraduate programs, courses, policies, staff and facilities as of April 1, 2003

Edited by Kathryn Hollon and Sharyn Lehrke, Records and Registration www.uwlax.edu/records/03-05/UG-Cat/index.htm




Last Modified:August 25, 2008
comments To: records@uwlax.edu
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse  1725 State Street  La Crosse, WI  54601  608.785.8000
All material Copyright© 2002 by the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse and the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System