UW-La Crosse Campus Map

Campus Map 

Residence halls

Accommodates 2,889 students — 968 men and 1,921 women. Named for pioneering teachers here, the halls are coeducational except for Trowbridge, a traditional female residence. All halls contain lounges, computer rooms, recreation and laundry areas, weight rooms, saunas and kitchens. Halls and their capacities are: Angell (1966) 393; Baird (1963) 200 Coate (1966) 393; Drake (1966) 263; Hutchison (1967) 384; Laux (1964) 226; Reuter (1958, 2006) 380; Sanford (1967) 226; Trowbridge (1959) 198; Wentz (1964) 216; and White (1962) 208.

Child Care Center (1997)

The Child Center is connected to the Recreational Eagle Center by a corridor and includes separate areas for infants, preschool and schoolage children, as well as outdoor play area.

Cartwright Center (1959, 1965, 1985)

The student union, is home to the university bookstore and textbook rental service, food service areas, lounges (one complete with fireplace), graphic services, meeting rooms, computer labs, and a number of recreation areas. Offices for student organizations, the UW-La Crosse Student Association, and the Racquet (student newspaper) and conference facilities are also here.

The Center for the Arts (1973)

Houses art, communication studies, music, and theatre arts department offices, classrooms, rehearsal rooms, art studios and theatre facilities. The Art Gallery, Toland Theatre and Annett Recital Hall are in this building.

Cleary Alumni and Friends Center (1994, 1995)

Serves as a welcoming center for the entire campus and is designated for multiple use by alumni, faculty, students, parents and the community. The building includes a university-wide information center, a conference center, exhibit areas for university memorabilia and other displays, meeting rooms, social programming areas, special university guest rooms, telemarketing center, reference library on charitable giving, and offices. The center was built by the UW-La Crosse Foundation with contributions from alumni, friends and others. It is named for Russell and Gail Cleary, UWL alumni who made a generous financial contribution to the building.

Cowley Hall of Science (1965, 1969, 1970)

Houses the River Studies Center and departments of biology, chemistry, geography/ earth science, mathematics, microbiology, and physics. In addition to classrooms and laboratories, it provides research facilities, a greenhouse, and a planetarium.

Health Science Center (2000)

The Health Science Center is a project of the La Crosse Medical Health Science Consortium, Inc. Health programs from UWL and WTC share classrooms, laboratories and equipment. The building includes offices and laboratory facilities for the UWL programs of clinical laboratory science, nuclear medicine technology, occupational and physical therapy, physician assistant, and radiation therapy, as well as for WTC programs. State-of-the-art laboratories and classrooms, including distance education classrooms, are shared by all educational programs at the Center. The Student Health Center, including a physical therapy clinic, is located on the main floor for access by UWL and WTC students. Biology and microbiology research laboratories are available for medical researchers.

Graff Main Hall (1909)

The original building on campus, remodeled in 1980, contains offices of the chancellor and administrative staff, a 787seat auditorium, classrooms, and specialized instruction areas for psychology, school psychology, modern languages, and philosophy. It was designated a historic site by the city of La Crosse in 1984 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 14, 1985.

The Information Center

Is where one arrives by following highway signs to UWL. Acquired as a private dwelling and remodeled in 1977, this building is headquarters for Protective Services (Security) and the campus switchboard. Staff are on duty 24 hours a day every day. General campus and parking information is available here, as is the campus lost and found.

Mitchell Hall (1965, 1971)

Houses the departments of exercise and sport science and health education and health promotion, and intercollegiate athletics. Facilities include a swimming pool, three basketball courts, wrestling room, dance studio, racquetball courts, and a 3,800 square foot well equipped strength training room. The field house provides an eighth-mile tartan track, broad jump pit, and nets for tennis and volleyball. A human performance laboratory, athletic training/ sports medicine area, resource and learning centers, and computer lab are also in Mitchell.

Thomas Morris Hall (1939, 1966), remodeled in 1996

Houses the College of Liberal Studies, educational studies department and the Office of Continuing Education and Extension. Resources for teachers are found in this former laboratory school building, as is the Frederick Theatre and a distance education classroom.

Murphy Library Resource Center (1969, 1995)

Contains over 550,000 volumes in open stack collections. Additional holdings include the university archives, rare books, oral histories, photo collections, books on Wisconsin history, and a regional depository for State Historical Society records.

W. Carl Wimberly Hall (1974)

Houses instructional and administrative facilities for the departments of English, history, political science/public administration, sociology/ archaeology and women’s studies as well as the departments of accountancy, economics, finance, management and marketing in the College of Business Administration.

Recreational Eagle Center (1997)

Is a multipurpose facility which provides facilities for intramural/recreational activities and child care service. The building includes four basketball and six volleyball courts, a 200meter cantilevered running track, aerobic exercise space, strength and fitness center, multipurpose space for meetings and martial arts activities, and an Outdoor Connection area for rental of recreational equipment.

Veterans Memorial Stadium (1937)

Acquired from the city in 1988 and remodeled in 1989, seats 4,600 with bleacher space for 1,100 more. The concrete grandstand structure houses the Veterans Memorial Hall of Honor. A 400 meter urethane bonded rubber track surrounds the football field.

Whitney Center (1966)

A national award winner for its architectural design, houses the food service for campus residents and campus radio station.

Wilder Hall (1951)

Built as the first residence hall on campus, was converted to student services use in 1971. The building houses the Career Services, Student Support Services, Counseling and Testing, Academic Advising Center and Residence Life offices and the Military Science Department.

Wing Technology Center (1956, 2001)

Is the technology hub of the campus and houses the computer science and information systems departments, and Educational Technologies and Computing Services units. The Building features a large general computer access laboratory, two computer-based classrooms, two distance education classrooms as well as photography darkrooms and studios for photography, visual productions, WMCM Student Television and instructional radio.

Wittich Hall (1916)

The original physical education building, contains gymnasia, a weight training room, a swimming pool, and recreation management and therapeutic recreation department offices. It was listed in the National Register of Historical Places on April 11, 1985.

Archaeology Center (1938)

Was the first campus heating plant. Remodeled in 1967, 1985, and 2000, the building provides a student work area for the processing of artifacts, an artifact conservation lab, display space, and specialized storage of burial materials and other sensitive collections, including a faunal bone collection.