THE SYSTEM MISSION
Each institution of the University of Wisconsin System shares in the mission of the System. The mission of this System is to develop human resources, to discover and disseminate knowledge, to extend knowledge and its application beyond the boundaries of its campuses, and to serve and stimulate society by developing in students heightened intellectual, cultural, and human sensitivities; scientific, professional, and technological expertise; and a sense of value and purpose. Inherent in this mission are methods of instruction, research, extended education and public service designed to educate people and improve the human condition. Basic to every purpose of the System is the search for truth.
THE CORE MISSION
As an institution in the "University Cluster" of the University of Wisconsin System, UW-L shares the following core mission with other universities of the cluster. Each university in the cluster shall:
- Offer associate and baccalaureate degree level and selected graduate programs within the context of its approved mission statement.
- Offer an environment that emphasizes teaching excellence and meets the educational and personal needs of students through effective teaching, academic advising, counseling, and through university-sponsored cultural, recreational, and extracurricular programs.
- Offer a core of liberal studies that supports university degrees in the arts, letters, and sciences, as well as specialized professional/technical degrees at the associate and baccalaureate level.
- Offer a program of pre-professional curricular offerings consistent with the university’s mission.
- Expect scholarly activity, including research, scholarship and creative endeavor that support its programs at the associate and baccalaureate degree level, its selected graduate programs, and its approved mission statement.
- Promote the integration of the extension function, assist the University of Wisconsin-Extension in meeting its responsibility for statewide coordination, and encourage faculty and staff participation in outreach activity.
- Participate in inter-institutional relationships in order to maximize educational opportunity for the people of the state effectively and efficiently through the sharing of resources.
- Serve the needs of women, minority, disadvantaged, disabled, and nontraditional students and seek racial and ethnic diversification of the student body and the professional faculty and staff.
- Support activities designed to promote the economic development of the state.
THE SELECT MISSION
In addition to the System and Core Missions, UW-L has the following select mission:
The primary purpose of UW-L is to provide education leading to baccalaureate and selected graduate degrees supplemented by appropriate research and public service activities as further detailed in the following set of goals:
- The University shall emphasize excellence in educational programs and teaching.
- The University shall provide a broad base of liberal education as a foundation for the intellectual, cultural, and professional development of the students.
- The University shall offer undergraduate programs and degrees in the arts, letters, and sciences; education; health and human services; health, physical education, and recreation; and business administration.
- The University shall offer graduate programs and degrees related to areas of emphasis and strength within the institution.
- The University expects scholarly activity, including research, scholarship and creative endeavor that support its programs at the baccalaureate degree level, its selected graduate programs, and its special mission.
- The University shall support studies related to the environment, culture, heritage, institutions, and economy of La Crosse and the surrounding Upper Mississippi Valley region.
- The University shall serve as an academic and cultural center, providing service and professional expertise, and meeting the broader educational needs of the region.