Application Procedures/Requirements

Applications for admission can be sent electronically by accessing The university will begin accepting transfer applications on January 1 for the summer term or fall semester and will continue until closed. The university will begin accepting transfer applications on September 1 for the spring semester and will continue until closed. To be considered for admission you must submit the following items to the Admissions Office, UW-La Crosse, Cleary Center, 1725 State Street, La Crosse, WI  54601 USA:

1. A completed UW System application (available at

2. An official high school transcript if student has earned less than 48 transferable semester credits

3. All official college transcripts (transcripts must be mailed directly from the institution(s) attended to the UW-La
    Crosse Admissions Office)

4. A list of courses in progress, if currently enrolled, with course numbers, titles and the number of credits for each

5. A non-refundable application fee is required for anyone applying as a transfer student from an institution other
    than one of the UW Colleges (two-year campuses)

6. ACT/SAT scores

Admission Guidelines

All applications receive a comprehensive review. Students with at least a 2.50 cumulative grade point average in all previous college level work will be considered stronger candidates for admission. Students with a cumulative grade point average between a 2.0 and a 2.49 will be considered for admission on a space available basis. In addition to grade point guidelines, students must be in good standing at their previous institution to be admitted to UW-L. Students who were not admissible as new freshmen must earn at least 18 transferable semester credits to be considered for admission as a transfer student.

Due to enrollment limitations and the competitive nature of admission to the university, admission consideration will be primarily based on academic preparation. While academic preparation is the primary criterion used in the admissions review process, other nonacademic secondary factors may contribute to the strength of an application. These may include qualities such as demonstrated leadership, extracurricular involvement, content of personal statement and recommendations, and/or adding a diverse dimension to our campus community. Based on institutional and UW System objectives and the need to provide the social and cultural diversity essential to a comprehensive university, additional consideration may be given to provide admission opportunities for special populations including, but not limited to minority/disadvantaged students, international students, veterans, non-traditional students, and those with special talent.

Admission to the university does not assure admission to specific degree programs. All transfer students must meet the same criteria (i.e., grade point average, course requirements, etc.) for admission to specific majors or programs as continuing students.

Academic Advising and Registration

After being admitted to the university, transfer students are required to submit a $100 enrollment deposit. After the enrollment deposit is received, the Admissions Office will evaluate the courses taken to determine the number of credits that will be granted in transfer. This will be used to determine classification as freshman, sophomore, junior or senior. Transfer students will be sent information regarding Web registration and academic advising. The registration instructions and links to the online class timetable will be forwarded in April for those students admitted to the summer term and fall semester, and in November for those students admitted to the spring semester. In preparing to register, transfer students are encouraged to contact the academic adviser/assistant to the dean for the assigned college or school. College or school assignments are noted in the letter of admission. In the process of academic advising, should you disagree with how a course(s) transfers or how a course(s) applies toward your program of study, a formal appeals process is available. Consult with the assistant to the dean of the college or school in which you enroll. If you are undecided about a major, you may want to talk to an adviser in the Academic Advising Center.

Transfer Credit Policies

Credits considered for transfer to UW-L must have been earned at regionally accredited institutions, e.g., Higher Learning Commission/North Central Association. Transfer credit is allowed for appropriate college-level courses completed at four-year colleges and universities as well as from two-year colleges and vocational/technical schools with accredited college parallel programs. Credits in vocational/technical programs other than college parallel programs will not transfer to this university. (See WTCS transfer policy.) Military service school credit may be granted in transfer based upon recommendations of the American Council on Education. Credits also may be transferred from examination programs such as the Advanced Placement Program (AP), the College Level Entrance Program (CLEP), or the International Baccalaureate (IB) program.

The UW System maintains a Transfer Information System (TIS) Web site. The site provides information about credit transfer and academic program requirements. TIS is designed to give prospective transfer students current information about transferring, including how UW System and Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) courses will transfer to any institution in the UW System, and which courses to take at your current institution to fulfill specific requirements at your intended transfer campus.

When credits are transferred and accepted, they are recorded in terms of UW-L courses. The student’s record shows courses, grades, and credits, however, only credits are used. Grades and/or grade points are not generally transferred. Exceptions to this policy are necessary for admission into certain programs/majors. The cumulative grade point average of each UW-L student is determined only by credits and grades earned in residence at the university.

If you are currently enrolled at UW-L, and intend to take course work elsewhere either in a summer term or during an academic year, you must secure approval in advance of enrollment at other institutions for course work to be taken for transfer to this university. See the assistant to the dean in the dean’s office of the school/college in which you are enrolled and complete an “Off-Campus Permit” form, which is used to secure approval to transfer credits from other institutions.

Transfer of “D” Credits

A course in which a grade of “D” was earned and accepted by this university may be applied to General Education and/or core requirements but will be subject to re-evaluation at a later date if the student chooses to major or minor in the subject area, or discipline in which “D” grades was earned.

Transcripts from Transfer Students

UW-L will not accept transcripts marked “Issued to Student” or hand carried and not mailed directly from the issuing institution(s) for evaluating and awarding credit.

Two-Year/Four-Year Transfer Policy

Usually General Education requirements will be satisfied by students who have completed associate degrees in college parallel programs at accredited four-year institutions, two-year collegiate transfer programs from two-year institutions, community colleges or junior colleges. Students admitted with an associate degree are still required to meet all core, professional, ethnic studies, major and minor requirements. The university reserves the right to review the student’s associate degree and require additional General Education courses. The maximum number of credits transferable from a two-year institution is 72.

Guaranteed Transfer Program for UW College Students

UW College (two-year campuses) students who intend to pursue their education at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse will be guaranteed admission providing they meet the following criteria:

1. Submit a UW System application to the UW-L Admissions Office during the first month of the semester prior to the
    semester of intended enrollment

2. Be in good standing and have completed an associate degree or 60 credits at any UW College with a minimum 2.00
    cumulative grade point average

All General Education requirements will be satisfied by students who have completed associate degrees. Students accepted under this two-year transfer policy are required to meet all core, professional, ethnic studies, major and minor requirements. Admission to the institution does not assure admission to specific degree programs. UW College students must meet the same criteria (i.e., grade point average, course requirements, etc.) for admission to specific majors or programs as continuing UW-L students.

Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) Transfer Policy

The UW System undergraduate transfer policy allows the university to transfer up to 30 general education credits in communications, behavioral sciences and social sciences, mathematics and natural sciences from WTCS non-college parallel associate degree programs. In certain cases where the WTCS credit is not acceptable for transfer, students will have an opportunity to earn credit by examination if the academic department offers an appropriate exam. Program-to-program agreements with the Wisconsin Technical College System allow students to transfer additional credits with or without the associate degree. Currently there are agreements in the following disciplines: business and information systems, nuclear medicine technology, computer engineering technology, visual communications, early childhood education, and in radiation therapy. Most of these agreements are with Western Technical College (WTC). UW-L and WTC also have an articulation agreement for a liberal arts degree. For details, contact the UW-L Admissions Office.

Program-to-Program Agreements

In addition to the Wisconsin Technical College System program-to-program agreements, other agreements have been established with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College, College of St. Catherine, Lake Superior College, Northeast Iowa Community College, Carthage College, University of Minnesota, UW-Madison, UW-Platteville, UW-Milwaukee, Guangxi Normal University, China, and Wuhan University, China. For details, contact the UW-L Admissions Office.