An Incomplete (“I”) is a temporary grading symbol (not a final course grade) which may be reported for a student who has carried a subject through the last date that one may withdraw from a course and then, because of illness or other unusual and substantiated cause beyond the student’s control, has been unable to take or complete the final examination, or to complete some limited amount of course work.


In no case may an Incomplete be recorded by an instructor for a student who, through personal fault, has failed either to complete the requirements of the course on time or failed to report for the final examination as scheduled.


Before an Incomplete is reported, there should be, in the judgment of the instructor, a reasonable probability that the student can complete the course successfully without attending class sessions again.


An Incomplete (“I”) will be removed when the student submits all work due. An Incomplete must be removed and a final grade recorded in the Records and Registration Office no later than one calendar year (12 months), following the term in which the Incomplete was incurred, whether or not the student is enrolled.


In order to remove an Incomplete, the student must make arrangements with the instructor for the satisfactory completion of the work remaining to be done in the course. This work was indicated on the “Information Sheet for Filing of an Incomplete Grade” that was submitted by the student and the instructor when the “I” was originally requested.


When the work has been completed the instructor submits a final grade, which must also be approved by the department chair and the student’s dean. If the deadline for completion is not met, a grade of “F” will be recorded automatically at the time stated above. If the instructor indicated a grade other than “F” on the information sheet that was filed, that grade will be used instead of “F”.


Note: A student should never register again for any course to remove a previously recorded Incomplete unless the “I” grade has been converted to “F”. This conversion of the “I” must be done prior to re-enrollment. The grade earned in repetition will supersede the “F” recorded, according to the established policy for course repetition.