Any student may withdraw from a class until one week beyond mid-term of a semester or a summer session. All withdrawals from classes after the “drop/add - change-of-schedule” period are recorded with a “W” on the student’s permanent academic record along with the official date of withdrawal. Half-term courses or short-term courses have withdrawal time limits established on a basis prorated to withdrawal dates for full-term courses. You must obtain either your adviser’s or the instructor’s signature during this time period. No student is permitted to withdraw from a class later than one week beyond mid-term of a semester or summer term. Only a grade of “F” or “I” may be recorded for any student who enters this time period and fails to complete a course. (Exceptions - See “Withdrawal from the University” on this page)


Failure to follow the prescribed procedures and to observe the prescribed time limits for withdrawal from classes will result in the recording of failing grades in discontinued courses.


Note: If a student withdraws from or fails to complete a course taken as a “repeat,” the original grade earned will remain in the overall grade point average calculation.

Medical Withdrawal (effective Fall 2012)

Emergency medical withdrawal may be initiated by a student or authorized agent at any time. A complete withdrawal from all courses at the university or a partial withdrawal from some courses may be requested. The withdrawal request must be supported by a letter from a healthcare provider which describes the limitations on the student’s continued participation in courses. The nature of the limitations may necessitate withdrawal from some courses but allow continued participation in other courses. The limitations will form a consistent standard for withdrawal that can be applied to all courses in which the student is currently enrolled. The Student Health Center will verify the authenticity of the support letter and will notify the Student Life Office. The Student Life Office will consult the appropriate academic dean and instructors. If the withdrawal
is granted, the Student Life Office will notify the Records and Registration Office and the Cashier’s Office. When the withdrawal is completed, the Records and Registration Office will notify instructors if a grade is required.

For courses in which the student has withdrawn, the permanent record will show that no credits were earned but the status of the student’s grades at the time of the withdrawal will be posted. The record will show one of the following grades submitted by the instructor: “EP” (emergency withdrawal passing), or “EF” (emergency withdrawal failing). Such grades will not be included in the computation of the term or cumulative grade point average.

Any exception to the policies of the emergency medical withdrawal must be appealed to the university’s Committee on Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS).