University of Wisconsin-La Crosse |

Records and Registration

Expand page menu
Skip to page menu

Withdrawal from the University

Withdrawal from the university is a matter of major importance. If you are considering withdrawal from school discuss the matter with your faculty adviser, dean, and counselors prior to initiating action. The official date of withdrawal from all classes will be recorded on the permanent academic record if you withdraw after classes begin.

Forms for withdrawing from the university may be obtained from the Office of Student Life (149 Graff Main Hall). The forms provide a checklist which withdrawing students are expected to follow carefully.

Withdrawal procedures must be fully completed before a withdrawal becomes official. An official withdrawal entitles a student to a refund of fees when the withdrawal date falls within a refund period. The official date of withdrawal is the date the withdrawal form is received in the Records and Registration Office. A "W" (withdrawal) will appear on the student’s academic transcript if the withdrawal date is prior to one week after midterm of a given semester. A grade of "WP" or "WF" will appear if the withdrawal falls after the mid term point. A grade of WF will be averaged into the GPA. Withdrawal from the university is not allowed after the three-quarter point of the term.

An unofficial withdrawal will result in recording failing grades in discontinued courses and in encumbering of student records if the following obligations to the university have not been met: returning books to textbook service and Murphy Library; returning other university supplies and/or equipment issued during preceding periods of regular enrollment; clearing a record through an exit interview in the Financial Aid Office if necessary, and securing a final clearance in the Cashier’s Office with respect to any refund(s) which may be due or obligations unfulfilled regarding university fees, housing or food service arrangements or accounts.

Emergency Medical Withdrawal

Emergency medical withdrawal from the university may be initiated by the student or an authorized agent at any time. It must be supported by a letter from a healthcare provider which is first processed by the Student Health Center to verify its authenticity. After such verification, the Student Health Center will immediately notify the Office of Student Life, which will notify the Records and Registration Office, the Cashier’s Office, the appropriate academic dean, and all of the student’s instructors. When the withdrawal is completed, the Records and Registration Office will notify instructors if a grade is required. The emergency medical withdrawal is intended for use only when totally withdrawing from the university.

The permanent academic record may show that no credits were earned, but the status of the student’s grades at the time of the withdrawal will be posted. The record will show one of the following grades submitted by the instructor: "EP" (emergency withdrawal passing), or "EF" (emergency withdrawal failing). Such grades will not be included in the computation of the term or cumulative grade point average.

Any exceptions to the policies of the emergency medical withdrawal must be appealed to the university’s Committee on Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS).