UW-La Crosse & UW-Eau Claire
Equity Audit in Professional Education Programs
University of Wisconsin La Crosse Campus:
Wednesday, August 8th - 11am-5pm
Thursday, August 9th - 8am-2pm
Institutional teams will come together to share expertise and collaboratively design an action plan to recruit and support qualified diverse teacher candidates. Teams will also engage in establishing criteria to evaluate how our professional education programs prepare White teachers to work with traditionally marginalized populations. The following year, teams will return to the UW-L campus to report on progress and explore potential for federal and external funding sources as a consortium. This retreat is supported by a UW System TQI grant.
- Develop a data driven equity audit to examine the obstacle and opportunities that predominately White professional education programs face as they attempt to diversify the teacher education field.
- Develop strategic actions to recruit and retain underrepresented groups into professional education programs.
- Identify strategies for gathering relevant data to inform educator preparation with regard to WI Teacher Standard 3: The teacher candidate understands how learners differ in their approaches to learning and creates instructional opportunities that are adapted to diverse learners.
Recommendation for Team Membership:
Institutional teams of 5-7 from each invited institution will include the following representatives:
- Teacher Education faculty and administrators
- Faculty Arts & Sciences
- PK-12 administrator or teacher
- Director of the Office of Multicultural Student Services or other involved with diverse student populations (e.g., campus climate, affirmative action, diversity council, recruitment officer)
- Director of Field Experiences or others involved with field experiences
- Leading With Diversity: Cultural Competencies for Teacher Preparation and Professional Development
- Teaching Diverse Learners
- Center for Research on Education, Diversity & Excellence
- Empowering Multicultural Initiatives
- Recruiting and Retaining High-Quality Teachers in Rural Areas
- Developing Cultural Critical Consciousness and Self-Reflection in Preservice Teacher Education
- Promotiong the Retention of Prospective Teachers Through a Cohort for College Freshmen
- Becoming a Teacher
- The Influence of Teacher Background on the Inclusion of Multicultural Education
- How White Teachers Construct Race
- Teaching Whites About Racism