Student Teaching / Intern Important Dates for Spring 2014
Criminal Background Check
Please complete the online criminal background check during the month of December 2013 for your spring placement(s). All Criminal Background Checks must be done by the end of December 2013. Read the instructions on the Field Experience page of the website found at www.uwlax.edu/soe/forms/index.html.
Instructions to complete the online Criminal Background Check:
- Go to www.CertifiedBackground.com and click on “Students.”
- In the Package Code box, enter package code: NI71. (Capitals N and I, and numbers 7 and 1).
- Select a method of payment: Visa, MasterCard, or money order.
- Print out a copy of your background check for your own file. We do not need your password, as we have a campus password that allows us to view your results once you have completed the process.
- Write down and file your password for future reference, in the event you need another copy of your background check.
- If you have any questions about the online criminal background check process, please contact Certified Background Inc. directly at 1-888-723-4263.
Official documentation of your Hepatitis B immunization record and TB test reading must be submitted to the Office of Field Experience by December 31, 2013. Please note the TB test must be performed within 90 days before your student teaching / intern start date. Schedule your TB test and reading between December 1-31, 2013, to meet the deadline.
Many students can locate their Hepatitis B immunization record at this website:
Wisconsin Immunization Registry: http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/immunization/WIR.htm
Extracurricular Activity Letter of Request
Required for all teacher candidates who desire involvement in extracurricular activities while student teaching. Send a letter of request to Director of Field Experience requesting permission to participate in a specific activity PRIOR to accepting any extracurricular responsibility.
$100 Registration Deposit
Your deadline for payment is October 15, 2013. If you have a concern about meeting this deadline, please make an appointment with the Director of Field Experience to discuss your concern.**Professional attire is required at all student teaching and intern orientations or seminars.** *Schedule is subject to change*
Student Teaching / Practicum / Internship Important Dates: Fall 2014
Required Student Teaching/Intern Orientation Day, Friday, August 22, 2014, UW-L Campus
All student teachers and interns will receive information on policies, procedures, requirements, seminars, and special meetings.
All student teachers and interns will receive training on the evaluation forms, as well as the required portfolio.
All student teachers and interns will meet with their university supervisors and seminar leaders.
Required Teacher Employment Seminar, Monday, October 20, 2014, UW-L Campus
- Student teachers and interns will receive information on certification, graduate work, and job search strategies, including WECAN and International Job Fairs, and interviewing.
Required Teacher Education Program Evaluation (only for December graduates), Friday, December 12 , 2014, Completed Online
- Student teachers and interns evaluate the UW-L Teacher Education Program.
Required Student Teaching Seminars, UW-L Campus
- All student teachers and interns attend student teaching seminars to share and critically examine their respective teaching pedagogy, classroom management, assessment strategies and materials, professional development, and classroom experiences.
Many student teaching seminars are held from 4:00-5:30 p.m. on six separate Wednesdays, and others are scheduled for alternate days and times. Check on WINGS for your specific schedule.
School of Education Commencement, Sunday, December 14, 2014
**Additional professional development daysmay be added in August 2014. Please watch your email for these events.