Semester 2 Persuasive Speech Topics
1. America needed to become involved in Vietnam to contain the spread of Communism.
2. America should not have become involved in Vietnam because…(insert your own reason).
3. America was right to have become involved early it the Vietnam conflict, but should have left the conflict earlier.
4. People opposed to the Vietnam War were right to protest and resist the draft as a way of pressuring the government to withdraw from Vietnam.
5. People opposed to the Vietnam War should have done more to try and stop our involvement.
1. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s methods of civil rights protests (non-violent resistance) were the best way to change American society’s attitudes towards African Americans.
2. Malcolm X’s methods of civil rights protest (violent resistance) was the best way to change American society’s attitudes towards African Americans.
3. The best way to make civil rights a reality for African Americans was through forced, immediate integration with the support of federal troops.
4. The best way to make civil rights a reality for African Americans was through a long-term process relying on changing attitudes of most whites.
Vietnam Web Search
All of the sites listed below are working sites as of the day of this assignment. If they do not work at first, check your spelling and the _,-/ to be sure it was accurate.
After you have accessed a site, look around and try some of the links before taking notes. Try to focus on things that interest you rather than doing it just to “get it done.”
An excellent site on the PBS Vietnam series
The “In the Trenches” link has information on My Lai, weapons, and MIAs
Stories about Vietnam war
“The Common Man” is thought provoking.
Good site on myths and statistics of Vietnam. Well referenced.
Search the wall for a name…Robert Kalsu or William Stocks
How do you feel seeing someone you know about reduced to a few basic statistics?
Good site with an area for students (link on the bottom)
An excellent veteran-run site. Full of stories. Check out the link at the bottom to “Student Research.”
Challenges to some of the common “myths” about Vietnam.
Some of the same sits as above, and some others.
For at least two of the sites, complete the following:
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, 1725 State Street, La Crosse, Wisconsin 54601 (608) 785-8351
All material Copyright © 2007 by the University of Wisconsin and the Board of Regents of
the University of Wisconsin System