Academic Advising Center

Expand page menu
Skip to page menu

Note: In compliance with established university policy, failing grades and deficiencies in grade point averages at UWL may be removed only by taking work in residence at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse.   Courses may not be repeated at another institution and transferred to this university.

Transferring credits from other UW System schools to UW-La Crosse

Step 1:  Use the UW System's Transfer Wisconsin website.  Transfer Wisconsin features transfer tools such as the "Credit Transfer Wizard" to give students at UW System schools and Wisconsin Technical Colleges current information on how their coursework may transfer to institutions within the UW System.  Transfer Wisconsin also allows students to gather relevant information when transferring within the system by providing information about admission requirements and academic program requirements via the "Transfer Guides and Agreements". 

Scenario:  Suppose you're already attending UW-La Crosse and know that you need to take CHM 103.  You'll be home for the summer and want to take a course at your local school, UW-Eau Claire, that will transfer back to UW-La Crosse as CHM 103.  This is the perfect situation for the Reverse Look-up Wizard.

Step 2: If you find a course that you would like to take, you will need to see if the course is offered during the semester in which you would like to enroll.  UW HELP On-line maintains links to the Schedule of Classes at other UW Campuses.

WARNING!!!! Now that you have found the course you want to take elsewhere and transfer back to UWL, you must secure approval from your College in advance of enrollment. 

Step 3: Go to the Dean's Office of the College in which you are enrolled and complete an "Off-Campus Permit" form.  This form is used to secure approval to transfer credits from other institutions.  Take the information you have gathered from TIS and see your appropriate College office.

College of Business Administration, 138 Wimberly Hall College of Liberal Studies, 260 Morris Hall College of Science and Health, 205 Graff Main Hall 

Transferring credits from a private WI school or Out-of-State school to UWL

Transfer Wisconsin does not provide course information for private institutions within Wisconsin or out-of-state institutions.  Students seeking guidance on the process of transferring courses from either type of institution should consult with the Assistant to the Dean/Student Services Coordinator of their Dean's office or an AAC advisor.

This process will still require you to complete an "Off Campus Permit" form with your Dean's Office in order to secure approval of the transfer course.

Seeking admission to the transfer institution

If the course is approved by your College,  to the take the transfer course,  you should seek admission to the transfer institution as a "non-degree seeking" or “special" student.  These are typically the terms used for students taking courses at a school but not intending to earn a degree.

If you will be taking the course at a UW institution, please apply via:

If the course is not a UW institution, go to the Admissions page of the institution and look for “special student application” or “non-degree student application”.  

Transferring completed coursework back to UWL

After completing the transfer course, you must request that an official transcript be sent to the Records & Registration office.  There is usually a fee involved.  UWL will not accept transcripts marked "Issued to Student" or hand carried and not mailed directly from the issuing institution (s) for evaluating and awarding of credit.

When credits are transferred and accepted, they are recorded in terms of UWL courses.  The student’s record shows courses, grades, and credits, however, only credits are used.  Grades and/or grade points are not generally transferred.  Exceptions to this policy are necessary for admission into certain academic programs.  The cumulative grade point average of each UWL student is determined only by credits and grades earned in residence at the university. 

A course in which a grade of “D” was earned and accepted by this university may be applied to General Education and/or core requirements but will be subject to re-evaluation at a later date if the student chooses to major or minor in the subject area, or discipline in which “D” grades were earned.

Additional Information

  • Students may also have the option of transferring credits to UW-La Crosse via standardized examination programs such as the Advanced Placement (AP) program, the College Level Entrance Program (CLEP), or the International Baccalaureate (IB) program.    
  • UW-Independent Learning delivers courses in various options: print-based only, print-based with e-mail option, telecourse, or online.  Students submit their course work by mail, e-mail, or fax. Independent learning undergraduate-level credits may be transferable to UWL. Check transferability in TIS.  In the Credit Transfer Wizard, look for "UW Extension Indp Learn".  As with any transfer course, you must get the course approved by your College.  See the Assistant to the Dean for your College before considering this option.      
  • UW Colleges Online also offers online courses each fall, spring and summer semester.  This may also be an option for you.  Check transferability in TIS. In the Credit Transfer Wizard, look for UW Colleges Online.  Again, as with any transfer course, you must get the course approved by your College.  See the Assistant to the Dean for your College before considering this option.