Expand page menu
Skip to page menu

To be considered for transfer admission

  • Students with at least a 2.50 cumulative grade point average in transferable credits will be stronger candidates for admission.
  • Students with a cumulative grade point average between a 2.00 and 2.49 in transferable credits will be considered for admission if space is available.
  • Students transferring from a UW College two-year campus who earn an associate degree or 60 credits with a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.00 will be admitted.
  • Students who were not admissible as new freshmen must have earned at least 18 transferable semester credits to be considered for transfer admission.

While academic preparation is the primary criterion used in the admissions review process, we consider other nonacademic secondary factors that may contribute to the strength of an application, including demonstrated leadership, extracurricular involvement, special talent, personal statement, recommendations, or adding a diverse dimension to our campus community.

Second Degree

A student who holds one bachelor's degree may be admitted to the university to earn a second bachelor's degree. Each applicant must complete the UW System application and have one official transcript sent from each university attended. Questions about earning a second bachelor's degree at UW-La Crosse should be directed to the Transfer Admissions Office.  If you have been admitted as a second degree student, please visit the admitted second degree student page.

Application Filing Period:

NOTE: UWL does not have an application deadline.  When we have reached the maximum number of students we can enroll for a given term, admission will close.  We recommend that you apply for admission as soon as possible.

  • Fall Semester: Applications for summer/fall 2018 are accepted beginning September 15, 2017 until admission closes.  
  • Spring Semester: Applications for winter/spring 2019 are accepted beginning September 1, 2018 until admission closes.  

What We Need:

  • UW System application for undergraduate admission available at
  • A nonrefundable application fee, unless directly transferring from a UW College two-year campus
  • Official high school transcript reflecting high school graduation date
  • Official transcripts mailed directly to UW-La Crosse Admissions Office from all post-secondary institutions attended, even if no credit was earned.  Transcripts should include all college-level coursework completed to date, including (if applicable) college classes taken while in high school.
  • If currently enrolled in courses, a list of courses in progress with course numbers, titles, and number of credits for each course

When will you receive an admissions decision?

Once we have received all the materials required for your application, you will receive an admission decision in two to four weeks via USPS. You can also track your application status online through WINGS. Access information will be sent to students after they submit an application.

Postpone List

Some applicants may be placed on a postpone list, in which an admission decision is made at a later date.  If you would like your application to receive further consideration, please follow the instructions in your admission letter. 

If you have been admitted as a new transfer student to UW-La Crosse, visit the admitted transfer student page

How will your college credits transfer? 

An official credit evaluation is performed after admittance to the University and completion of next steps as noted in admissions packet. 

If you are transferring from one of the institutions listed below, we have developed course equivalency tables to indicate how courses from various institutions will transfer to UW-La Crosse and if there are any additional program transfer agreements in place.  We also encourage you to consult the Credit Transfer Wizards to understand how courses from other UW System institutions and the Wisconsin Technical College System may transfer to UW-La Crosse.

Please click here for more information about our Transfer Credit Policies, including information about Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Exam Program (CLEP), and International Baccalaureate (IB) credits. For questions about scheduling and academic advising, please consult the Academic Advising Center's list of frequently asked questions.

Credit is generally awarded for college-level course work completed at institutions accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). (Foreign institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education in that country.) Courses must be similar in nature, level, and content to a course in our undergraduate curriculum and applicable to one of our academic programs.  Continuing education courses, graduate-level courses, and courses that are remedial, technical, vocational, or doctrinal in nature are not transferable.

Transfer Articulation Agreements with Wisconsin Technical College Campuses

Blackhawk Technical College: 

Chippewa Valley Technical College: 

Fox Valley Technical College: 

Gateway Technical College: 

Lakeshore Technical College: 

Madison College: 

Mid-State Technical College:

Milwaukee Area Technical College:

Moraine Park Technical College:

Nicolet Technical College:

Northcentral Technical College: 

Northeast Technical College: 

Southwest Technical College: 

Waukesha County Technical College:

Western Technical College:

Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College: 

**Please note: The Early Childhood Education articulation is under current review. All credit evaluations will be reviewed by UW-La Crosse on a case by case basis. For the most current information on UW-La Crosse's ECE program please contact Scott Johns at 608.785.8939 or**