(Staff and faculty explore socially-just perspectives around current events)
The purpose of this informal, monthly gathering is to provide a courageous sounding board for employees to intentionally grapple, grow and invest in self-care around social justice work. S.A.F.E. S.P.A.C.E. is important because being student-centered requires employees to be more purposeful with infusing social justice and professional development, so that we can collectively advance Inclusive Excellence campus-wide.
S.A.F.E. S.P.A.C.E. is for employees at UWL and beyond who, regardless of competency, are committed to:
- practicing cultural humility;
- acknowledging systems of power and privilege;
- challenging the status quo;
- and interrogating structural oppression.
Ultimately, it is hoped that S.A.F.E. S.P.A.C.E. will allow us to:
- better support our students (and others we serve or work alongside);
- create and/or maintain more just practices, equitable services, and inclusive environments;
- and minimize fatigue/exhaustion that tends to accompany social justice work... because the work must always continue!
Participants are encouraged to bring their lunch, other interested co-workers, as well as any personal/professional social-justice related happenings.
Please contact Amanda Goodenough for dates/times or more information.