Quick Tips for Attending Job Fairs
- Professional attire is always encouraged.
- Greet employers with a smile and a firm handshake. Don’t cruise the fair with a group of friends; make a positive impression by talking with employers on your own.
- Take copies of your updated resume. Some employers may collect them; others will not. Some may ask you questions and make note of your responses on your resume. Some employers will conduct “mini-interviews” at their table, others may conduct more formal interviews at another location at the expo. Be prepared for any of these circumstances.
- A little preparation goes a long way: 1. Be ready with a quick (no more than 30 seconds) introduction that you can give employers, including your name, major, career interests and a summary of your relevant experience. 2. Prepare a few questions in advance that you can ask about their organization and types of positions available. See the list below for suggestions. 3. Prioritize your list of employers to make good use of your time. For UWL career fairs, a list of registered employers is available on the Career Services home page and will also be available at the event.
- Some employers may leave early to get to their next recruiting event or to get back home. Don't wait until the end of the fair to see the employers you are most interested.
- Ask for a business card from employers. This will make your follow-up with them much easier.
Wondering What to Ask Employers at a Fair? Try These Suggestions
- What are the entry-level positions at your organization?
- What skills/majors are you seeking?
- Does your organization offer internships?
- What personal characteristics are required to succeed in your organization? (Find out what variables can make the difference between being hired and not being hired.)
- Tell me about your career path and why you like working for this organization.
Teacher Job Fairs
University of Northern Iowa Overseas Recruiting Fair
February 3-5, 2017
Registration deadline: January 13, 2017
CESA 9 Job Fair
Wednesday, February 22, 2017,3:30-7:30 p
Northcentral Technical College, Wausau, WI
Education Job Fair
Saturday, Feb 25, 2017, 9a-12p
Union Wisconsin Room, UW-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI
UNI Teacher Job Fair
Saturday, March 25, 2017
Mauker Union, Cedar Falls, IA
Southeastern Wisconsin Teacher Recruitment Fair
Saturday, April 8, 2017, 8a - 1p
New Berlin West High School, New Berlin, WI
Wisconsin Educational Recruitment Fair
Monday, March 27 , 2017, 3-7 pm
Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center
2017 Minnesota Education Job Fair
Friday, April 21, 2017
This fair is only open to graduates from Minnesota colleges and universities.
However, you can look at the list of employers that will be in attendance and
contact them directly.
Alaska Teacher Placement Job Fair
Saturday, April 22, 2017 Minneapolis, MN
Register at: http://www.alaskateacher.org/
Some of the fairs listed on the links above are open only to the students who attend the sponsoring university. Please be sure to check the attendance policy for any fair prior to attending it. The staff of Career Services cannot guarantee the claims or information presented about these fairs. This is not a comprehensive list.
UW Madison Fairs, Open to ALL Students
Fall Public Service Fair: Sept 27, 3-6 pm
Multicultural Career & Internship Fair: Oct 6, 4-6 pm
Grad School Fair: Oct 10, 3-6 pm
Please note all fairs are in Union South, Varsity Hall
American Association for Employment in Education:
Database of teacher job fairs - for an extensive list of fairs throughout the U.S.