200-level English courses give you the opportunity to learn about our world through literature. You will...
Successful students will be able to
- Generate a close reading of a literary text (i.e. fiction, poetry, drama, creative non-fiction) that recognizes, demonstrates an understanding of, and interprets a text's literary elements.
- Evaluate differing perspectives on society, the environment, and/or the human experience as represented in literary texts.
- Articulate contexts (e.g., historical, theoretical, cultural, generic, biographical) that give literature meaning.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the connections between literary form and content.
- Articulate purposes of literary study (e.g. aesthetic, epistemological, moral purposes).
Adopted by the English Department 12/05/2012