The following items are not eligible to be paid with federal funds (including Federal grants, Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans, Federal Parent PLUS loans, Federal Graduate PLUS loans and Federal Perkins loans):
- Textbook and Murphy Library fines
- Parking Fines
- Any drug/alcohol sanctions, workshop charges
- ID card replacement charges
- Stop payment or NSF check charges
- Equipment/supply replacement or non-return charges (including damage to Residence Hall property)
- Program fees for First Flight or Rec LLC
- Athletics -- misc equipment charges, tryout/roster fees, trip expenses, nutrition program
Federal Direct Student Loans
UW-La Crosse participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program. With Direct Lending, the lender is the U.S. Department of Education.
Federal Unsubsidized Loans
- All loans must be repaid. Borrowing only what you need will reduce the amount that must be repaid when you are no longer in school.
- All students who wish to borrow from the Direct Loan Program must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The Financial Aid Office will process your FAFSA application and send you an e-mail notification when your financial aid is ready to review and accept in your WINGS student center.
- All first-time Direct Loan borrowers will need to complete the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and the federally required Entrance Loan Counseling before their Direct Loans will be disbursed. These requirements can be completed at studentloans.gov.
- Graduate students are eligible for Federal Unsubsidized Loan.
- For the 2017-18 academic year, the interest rate on the Federal Unsubsidized Loan is a fixed rate of 6.00% for graduate students with a 1.066% Origination Fee deducted from the loan before it is disbursed. The rates for 2018-19 will be set in June 2018.
- You may find the 2017-18 Guide to Your Graduate Financial Aid to be very helpful in understanding the Direct Loan process.