Graduate PLUS loans
Graduate or professional students are eligible to borrow under the PLUS Loan Program up to their cost of attendance minus other financial aid received. The maximum amount that can be borrowed is indicated on your Financial Aid Award as "Your Other Loan Eligibility-G".
- Beginning with the 2016-17 academic year, graduate students who wish to borrow a Graduate PLUS Loan must apply at www.studentloans.gov. A Federal Student Aid (FSA) User ID and password are required.
- If you are a first-time Graduate PLUS borrower, you must complete the Direct Grad PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) and the Graduate Entrance Loan Counseling.
- The applicant must not have an adverse credit history.
- Repayment begins once the student is no longer enrolled at least half time.
- Graduate PLUS Loans have a fixed interest rate of 6.31% for the 2016-17 academic year with a 4.276% Origination Fee deducted from the loan prior to disbursement.
- Applicants for these loans are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Direct Graduate PLUS Loan funds are applied electronically to the student's bill.
- All direct Graduate PLUS loan proceeds in excess of charges owed to UW-La Crosse will be made available to the student by whatever method they choose when they activate their Tower One i.d. card.
To be eligible, the student must:
* be creditworthy
* be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, and provide a valid Social Security Number
* complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
* be admitted to a graduate program
* be enrolled at least half-time
Co-Signers or Endorsers
Some Graduate PLUS Loan applicants may require an endorser to be credit-eligible for this loan. Tips for Selecting a Co-Signer.