To receive federal student aid, a student must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

If you are in the U.S. on a F1 or F2 student visa, a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or a G series visa - you are not eligible for federal student aid.

You may be eligible for institutional aid. 

  • Contact the Office of International Education about potential scholarships.
  • Contact your program director about eligibility for a non-resident tuition waiver and/or graduate assistantship (graduate students only).

There are also some private alternative educational loans you may be able to apply for.  Certain student loan lenders will allow international students to apply for a private alternative educational loan if they have a co-signer that is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.  These loan applications do require positive credit history.