FAQ military service related

How is Veteran defined for Financial Aid Purposes? expanding section
  • For FAFSA purposes, veteran status is applied to any service member who has been on active duty for at least one day and was released under a condition other than dishonorable.
  •  Active duty does not include basic training.
  •  Guard and Reservists must have been called to active duty by federal authority for purposes other than training to attain veteran status.
  •  Students who are able to claim veteran status are considered independent students and do not have to show their parent's income and assets on the FAFSA form.
Who Should I report changes in my educational benefits to? expanding section

Report changes to the UWL Veteran Educational Benefit Coordinator. They will make any necessary changes and direct you to any additional steps that you need to take with financial aid.

It is important to report changes as soon as possible to avoid any issues with the financial aid awarding process or your refund.

How will I receive my financial aid refund? expanding section

Once your bill is paid in full, any additional funds will generate a refund. To have a direct deposit of your refund into your personal bank account, go to the Finances section in WINGS and choose the option for Student Choice Refund.

Is there a deadline date for applying for financial aid? expanding section

The priority date for applications for the fall semester is February 1. This is not a deadline since applications are accepted throughout the academic year. Students applying for the current spring term whose applications are received after April 30th are unlikely to have their applications processed in time to receive aid.

What is the process to apply for financial aid? expanding section

Each year you must complete a new FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). In addition, you must submit all documentation requested by the Financial Aid Office. Those items will be listed on your "To Do" list in your WINGS Student Center.

Do I need to apply every year? expanding section

Yes. You must reapply each year. The FAFSA is available after October 1 each year for the upcoming academic year.

How can I apply for UWL/institutional or private scholarships? expanding section

Visit the UWL Foundation website to apply online. Choose "Ours" under Opportunities to sort through the UWL Foundation scholarships. Deadline is February 1 of each year. Also check the scholarship resources on the UWL Financial Aid Website or /vets/resources_scholarship.html on the Veteran’s Educational Benefits Site

Will my financial aid be affected if I receive state or federal Military or veteran benefits? expanding section

Financial aid awards may need to be adjusted for students who receive some state military benefits, such as the WI G.I. Bill tuition remission and National Guard Tuition Reimbursement. If your financial aid award has already been issued when your WI G.I. Bill or National Guard Tuition Reimbursement is added to your award, your award will need to be reassessed to reflect the new tuition resources you have received. As a result, your loans, grants and federal work study may need to be reduced. Financial aid reassessments may occur throughout the semester and are required by federal law whenever a student's financial need changes as a result of receiving additional loans, grants, remissions or other resources.

Some federal benefits may affect your financial aid award. It is best to keep Financial Aid and the Veteran’s Educational Benefits Coordinator informed to any changes to your benefits.

How can I be independent? expanding section

If you can answer 'YES' to any of the following questions:

Are you 24 years old?

Will you be working on a Master's Degree in the upcoming year?

Are you married?

Do you have children that you provide at least half of their support?

Are you an orphan?

Are you a veteran?

What is the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized loans? expanding section

Subsidized loans are 'subsidized' by the Federal government. The government is paying the interest on the loan while you are enrolled in school.

Unsubsidized loans are not 'subsidized' by the Federal government. As such, the borrower is responsible for the interest while enrolled. If the interest is not paid by the borrower during that period of enrollment, the interest will capitalize on the principal and the loan amount to be repaid will increase.

Is there financial aid available for a study abroad experience? expanding section

Yes. There is the possibility of increased loan eligibility and there is a small need-based grant available to Wisconsin students who qualify. There is a Study Abroad Brochure that gives more information regarding the financial aid options for study abroad.

Additionally, your military related benefits may or may not cover study abroad program costs. Please contact the Veteran Certifying Official when considering a study abroad program.

How do I report scholarships that I receive? expanding section

Inform the Financial Aid Office of the amount and the name of the donor of all scholarships you will be receiving on the self-service section of WINGS or on the 2019-20 Scholarship & Other Resources Notification Form and return the form to the UWL Financial Aid Office. If you have questions, contact the UWL Financial Aid Office.

Why does the Financial Aid Office need my Social Security Number? expanding section

Disclosure of your Social Security Number (SSN) is requested for the student records system of UWL and for compliance with Federal and State reporting requirements. Federal law requires that you provide your SSN if you are applying for financial aid. The privacy and confidentiality of student records is protected by law and the University will not disclose your SSN without your consent for any other purposes except as allowed by law.

Where can I go if I have other financial aid questions? expanding section

More frequently asked questions are answered on our general FAQ page or feel free to contact us at the UW-La Crosse Financial Aid Office, 215 Graff Main Hall, 608.785.8604.