General FAQ

Will my financial aid transfer to UWL? expanding section

Your aid does not "transfer" when you come to UWL, but as long as you add our federal school code (003919) to your FAFSA, we will determine your eligibility. The nature of your aid may change when you change schools. Here are some factors that affect how your financial aid is awarded at UWL:

  • Your aid must be re-awarded at the new school. UWL will make the award for an incoming transfer student based on the student's enrollment and the amount of federal and state aid (for Wisconsin residents) that has already been used at the other school(s).
  • If you plan to start enrollment at UWL in the summer, please contact the Financial Aid Office to fill out the appropriate Summer Financial Aid Form.
  • Federal Direct Loan annual limits are based on grade level. Transfer students' loans will be awarded based on the academic level that you have by factoring in any accepted transfer credits from a previous institution(s).
  • Aid does not transfer. UWL will award all transfer students based off of aid they will be eligible for at the time of awarding, factoring in the Expected Family Contribution, the FAFSA completion date, and the funds that the Financial Aid Office has at the time of awarding. 
Why would I have a financial aid hold on my account? expanding section

There may be a number of different reasons why you may have a financial aid hold. Reasons my include: missing documentation, part-time enrollment without notification to our office, and academic performance.

What if I have more questions? expanding section

More frequently asked questions are answered on our general FAQ page or feel free to contact us at the UW-La Crosse Financial Aid Office, 215 Graff Main Hall, 608.785.8604.


When should I fill out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)? expanding section

FAFSA applications are available at after October of each year for the upcoming academic year. There is not set deadline for filing a FAFSA to be sent to UWL, though the UWL Financial Aid Office has a priority date of February 1 for students starting in the Fall. For transfer students starting in the spring, add our school code to the FAFSA as soon as you anticipate transferring here.

Do I have to fill out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) each year? expanding section

Yes, you must reapply by completing the FAFSA each year for the upcoming fall semester. The FAFSA is available after October 1 each year for the upcoming year.

Loan FAQ

What is the difference between the Direct Parent PLUS loan and Alternative loan? expanding section

The Direct Parent PLUS Loan is a federal loan borrowed by the parent of the student. Alternative loans can be borrowed through a bank, credit union or other funding agency by the student and sometimes a parent. Typically, a co-signer is needed for student applications. Both the Direct Parent PLUS Loan and any Alternative loan will require separate applications (in addition to the FAFSA). On your award, the item "Your Other Loan Eligibility" indicates the maximum that can be borrowed in a Direct Parent PLUS Loan or an Alternative loan.

How do I apply for a Direct Parent PLUS Loan? expanding section

If a parent wishes to apply for a PLUS Loan for a student at UWL, they should complete the Parent PLUS Loan Request Form and return it to the Financial Aid Office (mail, fax, email). First time Parent PLUS borrowers must also complete a PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note.

Do I have to complete a new Master Promissory Note and/or Entrance Loan Counseling? expanding section

The Master Promissory Note and Entrance Loan Counseling are one-time requirements for Federal Direct Loans unless significant time has passed since your last loan was borrowed and all previous balances are paid off. Both can be completed at if needed.

Do I have to reapply for a Direct Parent PLUS Loan and/or Alternative Loan each academic year? expanding section

Yes, you or your parent have to apply for either of these loans each year, if needed. We recommend that when you apply for one of these loans, that you apply for the entire academic year and not just for one semester at a time.