Scholarships at UWL
Private support is essential to help offset the cost of tuition for students at UWL. Undergraduate and graduate scholarships help the University to attract outstanding students from the region and across the country. Alumni and friends of the University who choose to create such educational opportunities truly impact the lives of UWL students.
Every year, we award a multitude of donor-directed scholarships created by friends of UWL who believe in the importance of education, and your future as an UWL student.
- Over $1.2 Million given out in April 2018 for the 18-19 school year
- Over 950 students received awards
- Alumni and friends of UWL have given generous gifts providing for over 250 opportuntities for students
Nearly three out of four of our students graduate with a significant amount of debt.
- The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is highly regarded nationally for the quality of the education it provides and the caliber of its students. A degree from UWL is still considered to be a great investment, but as each year passes and state funding for higher education continues to decline, it becomes more difficult to maintain that value.
- Only a handful of federal programs – mostly loans – and one state program are available to help students with the greatest levels of documented need.
- A large number of UWL students narrowly miss the threshold for these programs and do not qualify for any grant support.
Help us attract the best and the brightest.
- The University needs to attract more top achievers while building the base of support for students with financial need.
- Your gift of scholarships will advance both the quality and diversity of our student body by providing assistance to the most talented students.
- Higher education is an increasingly competitive environment. The proliferation of on-line schools and satellite campuses, along with the expanded recruitment by traditional colleges and universities, means UWL must find ways to stand out above the competition.
- Scholarships that allow the university to recruit the most talented students as freshmen, regardless of major, will help UWL continue to distinguish itself from the competition and enhance its status in the region and the world.
A long-time UWL accountancy professor has given students a big boost. Professor Emeritus Joe Kastantin and his wife, Linda Kastantin, donated a semester’s worth of his teaching salary to support UWL student scholarships.
“In accounting, debits go on the left and credits go on the right. In between the debits and credits, one will usually find a human with a heart,” explains Kastantin. “Linda and I were very pleased to be in the position to make this final financial contribution at the end of my teaching career to our present and future accountancy majors.”
Joe and Linda started their own scholarship in 2001 that provides about $1,000 to accountancy students annually.
Create a gift opportunity you will be proud of that matches your interests and values.
Many people have been impacted by the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse in different ways.
- An academic program that they studied or taught.
- A special faculty or staff member who served as a mentor and guide during their time here.
- Special opportunities like the chance to study abroad, participate in a research project, or serve in a leadership role in a student organization.
Consider establishing a scholarship fund through the UWL Foundation that will provide assistance to students in the area that means the most to you. Support your passion.
The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is an NCAA Division III member institution. As such, UWL and the UWL Foundation are bound by NCAA rules, which prohibit any Division III institution from considering athletics leadership, ability, participation, or performance in making scholarship or financial aid award decisions to any student.