- Current members
- Events Committee
- Residence Hall Committee
- Outreach Committee
- Philanthropy Week 2019
The UWL Student Philanthropy Council gives undergraduate students an opportunity to serve as philanthropy ambassadors for UWL, sharing the importance of philanthropy to the UWL community and beyond, and to be an advocate for philanthropy and the work of UWL Advancement among students. Students will represent the UWL Advancement office with the highest level of integrity, professionalism, and University spirit.
Launching in Spring 2018, the Student Philanthropy Council (SPC) will be made up of high-performing, civic-minded students interested in philanthropy and representing UWL. Members are an integral part of the planning and implementation of campus events throughout the year.
Through the Student Philanthropy Council intends to:
- Train student leaders on the fundamental principles of philanthropy and its impact on UWL
- Empower students to be advocates of philanthropy at UWL
- Create excitement, raise awareness and celebrate the impact philanthropy has on UWL through engaging activities for students
As a member, your goal is to engage, educate, and empower students to both advocate and celebrate philanthropy. To do these things, you will be asked to participate in events throughout the year. Council members will also be encouraged to create events to raise awareness and excitement among the student body.
In return, Council members will: build leadership skills, regularly connect and network with UWL alumni and donors, and help pave the way for the future of UWL, inspiring future donors.
- Must be a full-time undergraduate student at UWL with at least one full academic year remaining
- Must be in good standing as that term is defined in the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Code of Student Life.
- A cumulative 2.5 GPA or higher is preferred.
- Commit to assisting with at least 1 event per month.
- Attend monthly Council meetings.
Selected students must:
- Make membership a high priority with respect to their time and effort.
- Represent the University with integrity and professionalism.
- Commit to serving for a minimum of one academic year.
- Attend all mandatory training sessions, meetings, and annual membership review.
- Exhibit strong public speaking and interpersonal skills with groups and individuals and initiate conversations with alumni, donors, and friends of the University at events.
- Exhibit an understanding of, or a willingness to learn about, all aspects of UWL Advancement and UWL.
- Be willing to act as a social media ambassador for UWL Advancement efforts
2019 Student Philanthropy Council Members
Chantel Weyrauch - President
Aliyah Grote-Hirsch - Vice President of Outreach
Hana Church - Vice President of Special Events
Chippewa Falls, WI
St. Charles, IL
New London, WI
West Bend, WI
Joining the SPC:
If you are interested in joining the SPC please see the application below and contact VP of Outreach, Aliyah Grote-Hirsch.
Find us at the Clock Tower and Union: 11:30-1:30pm
Monday, Sept 23: What is Philanthropy?
Tuesday, October 23: Young Alumni Give Back!
Thursday, November 21: Thank A Donor Day!
Treats, giveaways, information about philanthropy at UWL
- We work to engage students living in the Residence Halls through monthly events.
- Sept: Coate Hall
- Oct: TBD
- Nov: Angell & Hutch
- Dec: TBD
- Faces of Philanthropy: Alumni from all walks of life give back to UWL. These flyers feature a different 'face of philanthropy' to honor their giving and spread awareness. Watch for printed flyers and digital signs that switch out every 2 weeks!
Our goal is to reach students via social media and outreach events. Follow us on Instagram and like our page on Facebook to learn about philanthropy at UWL. Our committee also meets with student organizations to share about what we do and manages the SPC recruitment and interview process.
|MONDAY - APRIL 8||TUESDAY - APRIL 9||WEDNESDAY -APRIL 10||THURSDAY - APRIL 11|
|PIN PHILANTHROPY ON UWL||GIVING BY THE NUMBERS||WHAT MAKES YOU #UWLPROUD||WHAT IS THE SPC?|
11:30 - 1:30 PM
Learn where alumni and friends impact campus with their gifts.
11:30 - 1:30 PM
Test your knowledge of giving at UWL with a guessing game.
11:30 - 1:30 PM
Stop by to tell us what makes you #UWLPROUD!
11:30 - 1:30 PM
UWL AA? UWL SPC? Learn what all the letters mean!
|Grab a snack and some UWLProud gear everyday from 11:30 - 1:30 PM!
Murphy Library & Whitney Dining Center
|UWL Philanthropy Facts will be displayed in the lobby all week!|
Flags at the Union:
Each spring, generous UWL alumni and friends donate enough money to give away over 950 scholarships to UWL students. The flag display outside the Union represents each student who received a scholarship last year.
2018 Flag Display outside Wittich Hall (below)
UWL PENNY WAR 2.0: Department Challenge
Support your department with pennies - add silver coins to the jars of your rival departments!
Who: Human Resources, Financial Aid, OMSS, Eagle Rec Center & University Communications
What: UWL staff are challenged to donate change (PENNIES) to compete with their fellow colleagues to raise money for an area of campus.
Where & When: Jars will be at the front desk of each office, April 8-12
Why: The winning Department will choose from a list of areas on campus to donate the total amount raised from all Departments. The UWL Food Pantry was the 2018 recipient of the Penny War.
How it works: Each penny earns one point, but every other coin - nickels, dimes, and quarters will deduct from the Department's total. To win, Departments must have the lowest amount of total points.
Have questions? Contact the SPC: firstname.lastname@example.org
2018 Penny War Check presentation
Watch your step during Philanthropy Week as the sidewalks around campus will be filled with nuggets of donor and giving knowledge! Can you find all the phrases?
- This space has been impacted by UWL donors
- We <3 UWL donors
- UWL Philanthropy Week April 8th -11th
- +3,300 Alumni and Friends made gifts to UWL in 2018
- UWL donors come from all 50 states
- In 2018, over 500 alumni and friends made their first gift to UWL.
- 80% of gifts in 2018 were LESS THAN $100!
- UWL needs philanthropy to be successful
- Over 950 students are awarded scholarships each spring
- UWL awards over $1.2 million each spring in student scholarships – thanks to generous donors!
- Alumni donations help fund undergrad research – from source materials to lab equipment, they’ve got you covered
- Broken test tube? No sweat! – Lab materials are paid in part by Alumni
- Your ‘A’ begins with Alumni. This library is stocked in part by Alumni donations
- The best students need the best study places – Donors help fund these spaces
2019 Phil Week Chalking
2018 Phil Week Chalking