- Current members
- Events Committee
- Residence Hall Committee
- Outreach Committee
- Philanthropy Week 2020
The UWL Student Philanthropy Council gives undergraduate students an opportunity to serve as philanthropy ambassadors for UWL, sharing the importance of philanthropy to the UWL community and beyond, and to be an advocate for philanthropy and the work of UWL Advancement among students. Students will represent the UWL Advancement office with the highest level of integrity, professionalism, and University spirit.
Launching in Spring 2018, the Student Philanthropy Council (SPC) will be made up of high-performing, civic-minded students interested in philanthropy and representing UWL. Members are an integral part of the planning and implementation of campus events throughout the year.
Through the Student Philanthropy Council intends to:
- Train student leaders on the fundamental principles of philanthropy and its impact on UWL
- Empower students to be advocates of philanthropy at UWL
- Create excitement, raise awareness and celebrate the impact philanthropy has on UWL through engaging activities for students
As a member, your goal is to engage, educate, and empower students to both advocate and celebrate philanthropy. To do these things, you will be asked to participate in events throughout the year. Council members will also be encouraged to create events to raise awareness and excitement among the student body.
In return, Council members will: build leadership skills, regularly connect and network with UWL alumni and donors, and help pave the way for the future of UWL, inspiring future donors.
- Must be a full-time undergraduate student at UWL with at least one full academic year remaining
- Must be in good standing as that term is defined in the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Code of Student Life.
- A cumulative 2.5 GPA or higher is preferred.
- Commit to assisting with at least 1 event per month.
- Attend monthly Council meetings.
Selected students must:
- Make membership a high priority with respect to their time and effort.
- Represent the University with integrity and professionalism.
- Commit to serving for a minimum of one academic year.
- Attend all mandatory training sessions, meetings, and annual membership review.
- Exhibit strong public speaking and interpersonal skills with groups and individuals and initiate conversations with alumni, donors, and friends of the University at events.
- Exhibit an understanding of, or a willingness to learn about, all aspects of UWL Advancement and UWL.
- Be willing to act as a social media ambassador for UWL Advancement efforts
2020 Student Philanthropy Council Members
Miya Staffaroni - President
West Bend, WI
Megan Runkel - VP of Outreach
Hana Church - Vice President of Special Events
Chippewa Falls, WI
New London, WI
Joining the SPC:
If you are interested in joining the SPC please see the application below and contact VP of Outreach, Megan Runkel
Find us at the Clock Tower and Union: 11:30-1:30pm
February 25, 2020
April -- Philanthropy Week: April 12-16
Join us for treats, giveaways, information about philanthropy at UWL!
- We work to engage students living in the Residence Halls through monthly events.
- Faces of Philanthropy: Alumni from all walks of life give back to UWL. These flyers feature a different 'face of philanthropy' to honor their giving and spread awareness. Watch for printed flyers and digital signs that switch out every 2 weeks!
Philanthropy Week 2020: April 12-16
- Flags at the Union
- Penny War by Department
- Chalking -- watch your step!
- Residence Halls
- Stall Seat Journal feature
- Philanthropy Impact boards throughout halls
- Themed tabling at the Union & Clock Tower (featuring Stryker appearances and thank you cards to recent alums who give!)
- Monday, April 13: "How has UWL helped you grow?" Hear from recent alumni and how UWL impacted their path.
- Tuesday, April 14: "Where is Philanthropy at UWL?"
- Wednesday, April 15: "Guess the impact - philanthropy numbers at UWL"
- Thursday, April 16: "Join the SPC!"
Flags at the Union
Each spring, generous UWL alumni and friends donate enough money to give away nearly 1,000 scholarships to UWL students. The flag display outside the Union represents each student who received a scholarship last year..
2018 Flag Display outside Wittich Hall (below)
UWL PENNY WAR 2.0: Department Challenge
2018 Penny War Check presentation: Sanford Hall
Watch your step during Philanthropy Week as the sidewalks around campus will be filled with nuggets of donor and giving knowledge! Can you find all the phrases?
- This space has been impacted by UWL donors
- We <3 UWL donors
- UWL Philanthropy Week April 8th -11th
- +3,300 Alumni and Friends made gifts to UWL in 2018
- UWL donors come from all 50 states
- In 2018, over 500 alumni and friends made their first gift to UWL.
- 80% of gifts in 2018 were LESS THAN $100!
- UWL needs philanthropy to be successful
- Over 950 students are awarded scholarships each spring
- UWL awards over $1.2 million each spring in student scholarships – thanks to generous donors!
- Alumni donations help fund undergrad research – from source materials to lab equipment, they’ve got you covered
- Broken test tube? No sweat! – Lab materials are paid in part by Alumni
- Your ‘A’ begins with Alumni. This library is stocked in part by Alumni donations
- The best students need the best study places – Donors help fund these spaces
2019 Phil Week Chalking
2018 Phil Week Chalking
Thank A Donor Day
Each November, the SPC hosts a table at the Union and Clock Tower, inviting students to sign a thank you postcard to donors.
Fall 2019 Recap:
The 3rd annual Thank A Donor Day on November 21st was a success!
The day included table displays at Whitney and Murphy Library, tabling with thank you card writing stations at the Union and Clock tower and some fun social media.
SPC members delivered the thank you notes which students wrote that day to faculty and staff donors. SPC members also wrote and delivered their handwritten notes to our payroll deduction employee donors.