Geography and Earth Science Internships
In today's global marketplace, it's becoming more and more important to distinguish yourself from the crowd and maximize your marketability to potential employers. College internships are an excellent way to get ahead in your field.
Students with internships….
- Gain valuable experience that most employers look for.
- Gain an insider's glimpse into an industry, company, or particular occupation.
- Have the opportunity to establish important career networking contacts.
- Have the chance to verify that their career path is really the right choice for them.
- Take knowledge gained in the classroom and apply it in a real world setting.
- Can drastically further their education in their field of choice.
- Develop the skills needed to perform jobs with greater efficiency.
- May receive college credit, putting them that much closer to completing their degree program.
- May receive direct job offers or at the very least a head start in their job search.
- May have the opportunity to travel and explore other areas of the country.
- May receive an income.
These are just a few of the many reasons students should strongly consider internships as part of their course of study. Here at UWL, the Geography and Earth Science Department has well established Cooperative Education Agreements with many local private sector and government agencies involved with research, resource management, and spatial analysis. We have a long history of working with the following organizations to provide students with useful, career-advancing internships:
- Upper Midwest Environmental Science Center
- Mississippi Valley Conservancy
- City of La Crosse Planning Department
- Gunderson Lutheran Medical Center
- Du Page County Department of Stormwater Management
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation
- National Weather Service
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service