Going further, doing more

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does the graduate program cost? expanding section

UW-La Crosse Admissions maintains an updated web page estimating annual costs of a graduate program. That information is available at: https://www.uwlax.edu/finaid/General-graduate-cost-information/   .

How long does the program take? expanding section

There are several factors in determining how long it takes to complete the Masters in Therapeutic Recreation. Of course, the number of undergraduate deficiencies has an impact. So does the complexity of a student's research (if he or she chooses to complete a thesis or project). Certainly students already certified in Therapeutic Recreation complete their program more quickly than students who are using the graduate program to be certified-eligible. If a student attends full-time, he or she probably will take anywhere from a calendar year (fall, spring, summer) to two years (fall, spring, summer, fall, spring) to complete the program.

What is the usual class size? expanding section

Graduate students take two kinds of classes, 500-level courses and 700-level courses. 500-level means that graduate students and upper class undergraduates take the course together. These courses usually have 25-35 students in them. 700-level courses are graduate students only. These courses often have about 15 students in them.

Do most students do a thesis or a project? expanding section

The best answer to this question is that it does not matter what most other students do. The options exist in order to cater to the needs of a range of students. For example, students who wish to go on for a Ph.D. should do a thesis. Students who need a TR internship to sit for the national examination must do an internship. Projects often are a good option for students currently working in the field; often their place of employment needs a survey, feasibility study, or some other major undertaking that might also serve as a project. In general, however, about half of our graduate students do an internship and about half do either a thesis or project.

What kind of jobs do TR graduates find? expanding section

Graduates with a degree in Therapeutic Recreation work in both institutional settings (hospitals, etc…) and community programs serving individuals with special needs. For examples of jobs in therapeutic recreation, go to:  
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/recreational-therapists.htm .

Will I have to take a summer class? expanding section

Typically, graduate courses in Therapeutic Recreation are not offered during summer sessions.

Is every graduate course offered every semester? expanding section

No. Please refer to the Graduate Program Director for the updated schedule of courses.

Is there an application for an Out-Of-State tuition waiver? expanding section

Yes. It is the SAME application as the one used for the RMTR Graduate Assistantship. Please note in your letter that you are applying for the tuition waiver. Apply for assistantship here.