Application process

Going further, doing more

UWL Therapeutic Recreation Association Mtg.

Therapeutic Recreation (MS)

Admission requirements

Acceptance is based on undergraduate grade point average and experience in recreation-related fields. To qualify for unconditional admission (i.e., not on probation) to graduate study, a student must have:

  • A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
  • One of the following:
    • An overall undergraduate grade point average of at least 2.85 on a 4.00 scale, or  
    • An average of at least 3.00 in the last half of all undergraduate work, or  
    • An average of at least 3.00 for no less than 12 semester credits of graduate study at another accredited graduate school.

How to apply

Contact the graduate program director expanding section

We encourage you to make contact with our program director to introduce yourself and ask any questions you might have about the program.  This contact also helps to alert us to your interest in the program.  Complete the form below to get the process started!

Therapeutic Recreation

Submit a UW System application expanding section
  • Follow the link to the UW System application. Register as a new user, unless you already have an account.
  • The email you enter on this application will be used to send you important information related to completing your graduate school application. You should use an email address that you monitor on a regular basis. 
  • There is a $56 UW System application fee, which you can pay online at the time of application. Alternatively, you can send a check to the address below.  *Application fee assistance is available to McNair Scholars. 

Graduate Admissions Office
1725 State Street
La Crosse, WI 54601

Submit transcripts expanding section

Request that ALL previously attended institutions of higher education send official transcripts to the UW-La Crosse Admissions Office.  This includes transcripts for courses taken for college credit during high school. UWL accepts transcripts mailed directly from the issuing institution(s) or through an electronic secure document sending service.  Transcripts should be sent to:

Graduate Admissions Office
1725 State Street
La Crosse, WI 54601

*Current UWL undergraduate students and alumni: Admissions can access your UWL transcript, so you do not need to request a formal copy to be sent.

International applicants expanding section

International applicants seeking graduate admission to UWL should also complete these steps, in addition to those outlined above.


Therapeutic Recreation graduate students with backgrounds in Therapeutic Recreation can be admitted in any semester. Therapeutic Recreation students who do not have a background in TR will only be admitted for the Fall semester.