PH-CHE Majors Meeting

Watch your email for links to the video recordings, PowerPoint files and information from the Majors Meeting

PH-CHE Mass Advising

Watch your email for information from your advisor to set up a virtual advising meeting.  All PH-CHE students must meet with their advisor to have the registration block removed.



HEHP PH~CHESpring 2020 Preceptorship Graduates

With cases in La Crosse County, health experts waiting for signs of community spread


This shows the exponential growth of the disease if life continued as usual. But if we limit the contacts we have with others, the number of cases goes down significantly and happens over a longer period of time so as to not overwhelm healthcare providers.

“Not knowing how many people are potentially infectious at this particular point in time, raises some concerns,” said Dan Duquette, professor of Health Education & Health Promotion at UW-La Crosse. 

You might have heard experts talk about flattening the curve or seen this graphic, which shows how fast the disease could spread without intervention.  Social isolation drastically slows the number of cases, but it might not get rid of it.  “But at least it becomes very, very negligible in populations,” Duquette said.

“It becomes really important in controlling communicable, infectious diseases to be able to trace the contacts people have had,” Duquette said.

Duquette said this still can be done, like with the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. But, limited resources at the local level could be spread thin if the cases of the new coronavirus increase rapidly through community spread, so we all have to follow the guidelines.  “If we follow those recommendations, social distancing and [good] hand hygiene, we can deal with the disease,” Duquette said.

Environmental Health course at UWL learning from COVID-19

Dr. Dan Duquette's PH 335 Environmental Health class at UW La Crosse

COVID-19, alongside other coronaviruses, such as SARS and MERS are a hot topic right now in UWL's Environmental Health course.

The class, taught by Dr. Dan Duquette, focuses on real-life examples of the viral interaction between people, the environment and animals. 

Students at UW-La Crosse study the origins of the Coronavirus and its threat

Students at UW La Crosse in Dr. Dan Duquette's PH 335 Environmental Health class were busy studying about the coronavirus Tuesday as part of their environmental health class.

Click on any item above to get more information.
Don't know where to begin? Click on "You".

Catalog quicklinks: 

How do I declare a major?

Please contact:
Guy Herling
Academic Services Director
105 Graff Main Hall

How do I find who my advisor is?

Faculty advisor assignments can be found on WINGS. When logging into WINGS look at the Student Center home page, lower right-hand corner.

Requests for faculty advisor changes must be made through the Chair of the Department of Health Education and Health Promotion, 124 Mitchell Hall.

How often will I meet with my advisor?

Students are required to attend the mandatory "PH CHE Mass Advising" meeting which is scheduled every semester prior to registration. Students also MUST meet with their academic advisor at least one time each semester. The Department of Health Education and Health Promotion automatically places a registration restriction on all students prior to the registration window for each semester. Once a student attends the PH CHE Mass Advising and meets with their academic advisor, the assigned academic advisor can release the registration restriction.

What do I do when meeting with my advisor?

When meeting with your academic advisor, discussion will mainly center on your academic progress and specific courses needed in the near and future semesters. Each student should complete a career-long planner which maps out an ideal schedule of classes from the first meeting with your advisor through graduation. This planner should contain required courses in an ideal sequence and program assessment requirements.

Advising meetings are also times when students can talk with their faculty advisor about other issues or situations. Faculty advisors are great sources of information and can point students in the direction of needed resources to assist them in coping with situations which arise while at UWL.

How can I prepare for my advising meeting?

Students are highly encouraged to create an advising folder. This folder contains all official paperwork for UWL, including a copy of a current (unofficial) transcript, advising sheet with courses checked-off, and a current planner. Keep a running list of questions for your advisor as you progress through each semester.

Students can prepare for advising meetings by reviewing their course planner and print/bring a copy to the meeting. It is helpful also to have any questions written down to be sure the information is discussed and questions answered.

What if I am struggling academically or personally?

Students are highly encouraged to contact their faculty advisor or a trusted faculty member as soon as you feel there is, or potentially could be, a problem academically or personally.

Faculty will either work with you directly or refer you to another trusted professional who is better trained or equipped to work with your situation. It is important students keep in touch with their faculty advisor or a trusted faculty member regularly so situations can be handled early (when they are smaller issues) rather than after situations have become overwhelming. Remember no issue is too small to ask or talk about!

What if I would like more of a challenge or a new experience?

Talk with your academic faculty advisor about your interest in undergraduate research or exploring related careers.

How do I apply for graduation?

Graduation is applied for electronically through your WINGS account. Students are recommended to apply for graduation one year prior to your expected semester of graduation. For teacher education students, this is the same semester when you submit your student teaching application.