Employment authorization

Scholars are only authorized to engage in employment which is listed on their DS-2019 form. Such employment must be part of the scholar’s original program at UWL.

Scholars obtaining employment not currently listed on their DS-2019 form must meet with their IEE advisor to receive employment authorization and an updated DS-2019 form which lists the new employment. Employment cannot begin until the scholar has received written notice of authorized employment and an updated DS-2019 form. Employment began prior to receiving written employment authorization along with an updated DS-2019 form is considered unauthorized employment and is a violation of  the scholar’s J visa.

Occasional Lectures or Consultations By J-1 Scholars

In certain instances, J-1 professors, research scholars, and short-term scholars, provided they have obtained pre-approved written authorization from IEE, may be able to accept reimbursement or payment for occasional lectures and consultations outside of their UWL department.

The term occasional embodies the concept of single event rather than an ongoing activity.


To ensure that “occasional lectures or short-term consultations” do not interfere with and are in keeping with the activities of the scholar’s J-1 program, they:

  • Must be directly related to the objectives of the J-1 Exchange Visitor’s program at UWL;
  • Must be incidental to the scholar’s primary program activities; and
  • Must not delay the completion the scholar’s  J-1 program

Required Documentation:

To obtain authorization for occasional lectures or consultations, you need to submit the following documents to the IEE:

  1. A letter from the inviting institution describing the terms and conditions of the offer to lecture or consult, including the duration, number of hours, field or subject, amount of compensation, and description of the activity.
  2. A letter from your UWL department:
  3. Confirming that the proposed activity is directly related to your principal activity, is incidental, and will not delay completion of your program at UWL
  4. Explaining how the proposed activity would enhance your exchange visitor program at UWL
  5. Recommending approval of the activity
  6. Copy of your most recent electronic Form I-94

Authorization to Work:

IEE will review your documentation and determine if you are eligible for incidental employment. If authorized, IEE will issue a letter authorizing the activity. This letter will serve as proof that you are allowed to receive payment for your activity. Keep a copy of this letter for your records.

A Note of Caution:

As a J-1 scholar, your options for occasional lectures or consultations are limited. Any type of employment without proper authorization is a serious violation of your status. Prior to beginning any type of employment, you must first consult your J-1 Scholar Advisor in the IEE, whose written approval is necessary in advance of any employment.