Dependent health insurance

International Education & Engagements Health Insurance Contact: Bridget Reedy,
J-1 Scholars and J-2 Dependents:
Healthcare in the United States can be very expensive. All J-1 scholars and their J-2 dependents are required to enroll in UWL’s health insurance for the duration of their stay at UWL. No health insurance waivers will be accepted. Scholars and any accompanying J-2 dependents will be enrolled in UWL’s health insurance upon arrival to campus. Payment information as well as how to use the insurance will be provided during the scholar’s mandatory orientation. 

Student Assurance Services provides medical insurance to J-1 scholars and their J-2 dependents through Consolidated Health Plans (CHP). It is extremely important to know how to use this insurance to ensure injuries and illnesses can be covered. Scholars/dependents are responsible for all medical costs not covered by insurance. Expect to pay some fees each time you use your insurance. Unpaid healthcare bills can cost thousands of dollars that will be your responsibility. Additionally, unpaid medical bills may be sent to a collections agency and may even impact future visits to the U.S.

Scholars and their dependents cannot use UWL's Student Health Center. Information on how to find a healthcare facility can be found under the Preferred Provider Directory below. It is very important to bring your insurance card each time you visit a healthcare facility and ask that a copy of your insurance card be made for their records. Also, ask if there are any forms you need to sign to make sure the healthcare facility can send your information to Student Assurance Services. 

To download your Health Insurance Card please follow the instructions here

If you have questions about what is covered by Consolidated Health Plans (CHP) through Student Assurance Services, please review the health insurance plan summary

Preferred Provider & Pharmacy Directory - Cigna PPO

For assistance and questions about insurance benefits, ID cards, claim status, or claim processing contact the Plan Administrator:
Student Assurance Services, Inc. (SAS)
Post Office Box 196
Stillwater, MN 55082-0196
Phone: (800) 328-2739

Kate Yilinek, Customer Service Supervisor

Phone: 800-633-7867 ext. 208



For Claims Submission, send Bill via Mail, Fax or Email:

Mail To: 

Consolidated Health Plan

2077 Roosevelt Avenue

Springfield, MA 01104

Fax to: 413-733-4612

Scan & Email To: 

Bills must be submitted within 90 days after the date of the injury or illness, or as soon as reasonably possible. Information to identify the insured must be provided and should include: scholar's name, local address, social security number, birthdate, and name of school.

*If a J-2 dependent is enrolled as a UWL student, a Health Center Fee will be automatically included in the student bill and the student will have access to the Student Health Center. Additional information can be found at