Funding Requirements: Minimum* funding requirements for dependents:
- Spouse - $600.00/month
- Child - $500.00/month per child
*The minimum funding does not include airfare, healthcare costs not covered by insurance, school tuition/fees, travel/transportation within the U.S., clothing, etc. The scholar is advised to prepare additional money to cover unexpected expenses that may occur while in the U.S.
J-1 applicant must provide documentation of financial resources to cover all dependents as outlined above. Acceptable financial documents are as follows:
- Signed Letter of Appointment including salary information if scholar will be paid through UWL
- Bank Statement in Scholar’s Name
- Most recent 3 months in English of recent bank statements (per account) on bank letterhead signed by bank official
- Must demonstrate that funds would be readily available to meet scholar’s expenses plus that of any dependents and are easily accessible to the scholar
- Bank Statements in Sponsor’s Name and Letter of Support
- Most recent 3 months in English of recent bank statements (per account) on bank letterhead
- Sponsor must write a letter explaining relation to J-1 Scholar and declaring support for J-1 while s/he is participating in a J program in the U.S.
- Scholarship from a Government
- IEE must receive a clear copy of the formal award letter from the government
- Letter should clearly state stipend/salary and any covered expenses, including living expenses, health insurance, etc.
- Must be dated within 3 months
- Must indicate that J-1 will be participating in an Exchange Program at UWL
- Funding from Scholar’s Home University
- Letter from the institution stating amount and terms of stipend/salary on university letterhead and signed by a University Official indicating that scholar will be participating in an Exchange Program at UWL