Periodicals collection development
Criteria for New Subscriptions
Subscriptions to new titles are ordered after careful consideration of the following criteria:
- The title is considered a core publication and supports the curriculum and current research. Departments should approve prospective periodical titles before submitting requests.
- The title is indexed in standard sources. Although the journal may appear useful, if it is not currently indexed in a paper or electronic index available in the library, it will receive little, if any use. Given that use is a key criterion in purchasing any new library materials, indexing is an important factor in determining whether or not the title will be purchased.
- The title should have long-term value. Once a subscription begins, it is preferable to continue the subscription and bind it or acquire it in microform for long-term preservation.
- Price. The periodicals budget has limited funds for new titles.
- The title is one that patrons routinely request through Interlibrary Loan.
- The title is not available full text from one of our database vendors. If the title is critical to curriculum support, it will be ordered on microfilm to ensure on-site preservation of the journal.
- Depth and breadth of journals in the discipline that are currently in the collection.
Timeline for Ordering New Periodical Titles
July 1 - May 1:
- Liaisons submit departmental requests for new periodicals subscriptions.
- Liaisons submit departmental requests for the cancellation of subscriptions to periodicals in their discipline. Please have your cancellation requests submitted to the Collection & Resource Development Librarian by May 1.
May 1 - May 31:
- Proposed cancellations will be posted to this page. Comments regarding these titles should be sent to the Collection & Resource Development Librarian.
June - July:
- After carefully reviewing the list of proposed cancellations, the Collection & Resource Development Librarian and Acquisitions Librarian will cancel subscriptions. After consideration of the criteria listed above, new subscriptions will be ordered with available funds.
Please complete the Periodicals Subscription Request form.