Creating persistent links
Many article databases allow users to link back directly to individual articles. These links are called persistent links, permalinks, or permanent links. Following are instructions on creating permanent links to some of our most popular article databases.
To link to a full text article from an EBSCOhost database, select the article from the result list and click on the "Permalink" from the right-hand tools menu:
Copy the URL from the pop-up box. Please make sure that Murphy Library's proxy prefix (https://libweb.uwlax.edu/login?url=) begins the link so that users can connect either on or off-campus.
The full link should resemble this:
To link to a full text article from ScienceDirect, add DOI to the following URL:
A completed persistent link should look like:
Linking to Films on Demand Videos
Please Note: If you access a film by searching for it in Primo and then clicking the link for the title in Films on Demand, you will not be able to generate a persistent link that will work from off campus. To create a persistent link, you must first go to Films on Demand and then search for your title within the platform as described below.
- Navigate to Films on Demand (https://libweb.uwlax.edu/login?url=http://digital.films.com/portalplaylists.aspx?aid=14605). A link to the platform can also be found on the Database A-Z list.
- Search for the title or segment for which you would like to create a persistent link, and open the video.
- Click on the “</> Embed/Link” option below the video to copy the link for either the entire video (“Record URL”) or the specific segment (“Segment URL”). Do not use the URL from your browser’s address bar.
Embedding Films on Demand Videos in D2L
- Log in to D2L, open your course, and navigate to Content.
- Add a new module or navigate to the module in which you want to add the video.
- Select “Create a File.”
- Click on the "Insert Stuff" icon .
- In the window that opens, choose “Films on Demand.” Locate your video using a keyword search, then select “Embed” next to the video
- A preview of the embedded video will generate, at which point you can either choose to insert the video or go back and select a different one.
To link to a full text article from JSTOR, add Murphy Library's proxy prefix (https://libweb.uwlax.edu/login?url=) to the stable URL for the article (located in the citation area):
The completed persistent link to this article would be:
To access permanent URLs:
- Run a search, using any search form in LexisNexis Academic.
- Click on a document in the results list.
- You will see the Icon Bar (as shown below) appear in the top right corner of your document.
- Click the Permalink icon (as indicated by the arrow in the image to the right.)
To create a persistent link to a full text article from OVID, use the jumpstart link. When viewing a full text article, select the Email Jumpstart link on the right side of the page:
The resulting jumpstart URL in the dialog box is the persistent link:
Select an article citation from your search results list. Select the "cite" link:
Find the link at the bottom of the citation - that URL is your persistent link: