Creating persistent links
Many article databases allow users to link back directly to individual articles. These links are called persistent links, permalinks, or permanent links. Following are instructions on creating permanent links to some of our most popular article databases.
To link to a full text article from an EBSCOhost database, select the article from the result list and click on the "Permalink" from the right-hand tools menu:
Copy the URL from the pop-up box. Please make sure that Murphy Library's proxy prefix (https://libweb.uwlax.edu/login?url=) begins the link so that users can connect either on or off-campus.
The full link should resemble this:
To link to a full text article from ScienceDirect, add DOI to the following URL:
A completed persistent link should look like:
Films On Demand
Linking and Embedding Films on Demand Videos through D2L
Following are some specific tips to help you integrate both Title/Segment URLs and an Embedded Player in your D2L courses.
Linking to Films on Demand Videos
- Navigate to Films on Demand (https://libweb.uwlax.edu/login?url=http://digital.films.com/portalplaylists.aspx?aid=14605) (you may need to log in if you are off campus) and search for the title or segment you'd like to link to.
- Select the video/segment you wish to link from the results list (or from your playlist).
- Scroll down below the video clip. There will be a box labeled "Title URL" (see example below) if you are embedding the whole video or "Segment URL" if you are embedded just one clip. Copy this entire URL. Do not use the URL from your browser window at the top of the screen.
Embedding Films on Demand Videos into D2L
- Log in to D2L and open your course. Navigate to Content.
- Add a new module or navigate to the module in which you want to add the video/video clip.
- Select "Create a File"
- In the "Title" box, give the video whatever name you would like it to have. To get to the HTML editor, choose the ellipsis button if the "Insert Stuff" icon is not already an option in the toolbar.
- Select the "Insert Stuff" icon .
- To embed the video/video segment, select "Enter Embed Code". Use the "Alternate Embed Code" from Films on Demand:
- Click on the "Next" button in the lower right corner. Enter a title in the box on the next screen if you did not already. Click the "Insert" button.
- Back in the "Create New Topic" screen, click the "Save" button. The link/video playback can be tested by going to the "Manage Content" screen and click on the new link.
To link to a full text article from JSTOR, add Murphy Library's proxy prefix (https://libweb.uwlax.edu/login?url=) to the stable URL for the article (located in the citation area):
The completed persistent link to this article would be:
To access permanent URLs:
- Run a search, using any search form in LexisNexis Academic.
- Click on a document in the results list.
- You will see the Icon Bar (as shown below) appear in the top right corner of your document.
- Click the Permalink icon (as indicated by the arrow in the image to the right.)
To create a persistent link to a full text article from OVID, use the jumpstart link. When viewing a full text article, select the Email Jumpstart link on the right side of the page:
The resulting jumpstart URL in the dialog box is the persistent link:
Select an article citation from your search results list. Select the "cite" link:
Find the link at the bottom of the citation - that URL is your persistent link: