UWL Office of Residence Life offers 3 graduate assistantships each year. We currently have 3 Assistant Hall Director live-in positions. Grad students are an important part of our professional staff team.
Our Graduate Assistant positions at UW-La Crosse are an opportunity for you to have a tremendous impact on the lives of college students. Our students, without a doubt, will have a greater impact on you. The culture of engagement at UW-La Crosse is phenomenal, and the investment our student leaders and staff have in developing strong communities and lasting relationships are what make our program special.
We are student-centered, we care, and we have fun!
ASSISTANT HALL DIRECTOR POSITION SUMMARY
The Assistant Hall Director is a member of the Professional Staff within the Office of Residence Life at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse which is in the Division of Student Affairs. The Assistant Hall Director is a graduate student in the Student Affairs Administration in Higher Education program at UW-La Crosse. The Assistant Hall Director’s primary responsibility is to assist in the operation of the residence hall in which they are assigned. The Assistant Hall Director acts in the absence of the Residence Hall Director. The Office of Residence Life views this position as an apprenticeship for those seeking to enter the field of Residence Life after graduation.
The Assistant Hall Director is supervised by a Residence Hall Director. The period of employment is for ten months, generally beginning August 1 and ending May 30.
This Graduate Assistant experience will emphasize the ACPA/NASPA competencies of:
- Human and organizational Resources (NASPA)
- Leadership (ACPA)
- Advising and Supporting (ACPA)
- Student Learning and Development (ACPA)
GRADUATE POSITION SUMMARY
- Inclusive Excellence Scholars (IES) Program Coordinator Description
- Residence Hall Association Council (RHAC) Advisor - Specific Issues Description
All Graduate Assistants in Residence Life:
- $10,534 for an academic year appointment (9 months)
- $400 Professional Travel Support
- Additional compensation for required training occurring prior to the beginning of the academic year (starting August 1)
Assistant Hall Director Additional Compensation:
(Because the AHD position is live-in, additional compensation listed below is provided as the position has more responsibility and night/weekend commitments.)
- Parking Permit
- Meal Plan when meal service is available
- Furnished 1 bedroom apartment
Domestic Partner/Spouse (Assistant Hall Directors)
The Office of Residence Life supports inclusive live-in requests for additional apartment occupants. Partners, spouses, and others often become part of the hall community. Parking spaces and meal plans are not provided for those living with the Assistant Hall Director. However, a residential parking space can be purchased for a fee. The University of Wisconsin System has more details about this benefit program.
All applicants for the Office Graduate Positions must apply and be admitted to the Student Affairs Administration Graduate Program. Instructions for applying can be found at: uwlax.edu/Student-Affairs-Admin/Apply/
Successful admission to the SAA Graduate Program will be required prior to a job offer.
In addition, interested applicants must complete an application through the UWL Human Resources Site. Search opportunities under “Graduate Assistant (GA)” section here: employment.uwlax.edu/.
- In order to be considered for this position you must be accepted or have an application in progress into a University of Wisconsin-La Crosse graduate program (apply.wisconsin.edu/).
- Must maintain 3.0 cumulative GPA throughout graduate assistantship
- Student Affairs Administration