Click on any item above to get more information.
Don't know where to begin? Click on "You".

Important Steps to the Teaching Profession:

Pass your Praxis Exams
These tests are required by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. In order to enter the teacher education program, you must have successfully passed the Praxis I(PPST) and have documentation received in the Office of Certification. 
In order to receive a student teaching placement, you must have successfully passed the Praxis II and have documentation received in the Office of Certification. Register online at Be sure to register early because testing locations can fill quickly. 
Complete your application for admission to the Teacher Education program
For information about the admission application process, visit the SOE admissions process page.
Complete your Criminal Background Check
You will need to complete a criminal background check prior to participating in a field experience.  Instructions on how to complete the criminal background check will be sent to registered students by the Office of Field Experience. More information available on the Teacher Candidate webpage.
Complete your application for Student Teaching
Information on announcements and important dates as well as application forms can be found on the Teacher Candidate webpage.
Students on Suspension 

Students must maintain a minimum academic standard in order to continue at UWL. Based on grades earned at UW-La Crosse, a student will be assigned a Good Standing, Warning, Probation, or Suspension status. These standards are defined in the  UWL Catalog in the Academic Regulations and Student Conduct section under the subsection of Retention, Probation, and Suspension

If you are suspended from continuing at the end of the semester, you have the right to appeal the decision.  Read instructions below for further information.

Appealing Your Suspension Status

Students in suspension status may write a letter addressed to the members of the School of Education Dean’s Office to appeal their status. To write a letter of appeal, please follow the guidelines below.

  • Letters of appeal should be no more than one page in length and address the following questions:
    • What factors beyond your control contributed to your poor academic performance?
    • What specific steps will you take to improve your performance this coming semester?
    • What major and/or academic program do you intend to pursue?
  • Letters should be sent as soon as possible to from your UWL email account (preferred).

If the Dean’s office approves your appeal, you will be readmitted to the University and your academic standing will be changed to “Probation.”

If the members of the Dean’s office deny your appeal, you have the right to bring your original appeal before the Committee for Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS). This faculty committee will hear appeals made in-person by students in the Faculty Senate Chambers (325 Graff Main Hall). This is the final level of appeal. If CAPS denies the appeal, you will remain suspended and will be eligible to apply for readmission after your period of suspension has ended.

Any questions or concerns regarding academic eligibility and or/ the appeals process should be directed to the School of Education office at 608-785-8127. 

Who should I contact about advising and certification?

 Ashley Cree

Academic Services Director and Certification Officer, School of Education 
145 Graff Main Hall 
Telephone: 608.785.8127

Ashley works with students admitted to Department of Educational Studies programs, second undergraduate degree candidates and students enrolled in graduate programs in the Department of Educational Studies. As the certification officer, Ashley endorses program completers for licensure in states requiring this documentation.