How do I declare my major? expanding section

Use this form if you are changing majors/minors within the SoE or changing to a SoE major from another college or school at UWL. This form allows you to declare your major and be assigned an advisor aligned with your major.  You will still need to apply to your School of Education program (see Admission to SOE Programs below).

Please note: You must apply for admission to your new School of Education program even if you were already admitted to your previous SoE program.  

Faculty advisors are assigned by departments/programs based on a student’s declared major and/or minor, thus completing the “Change of Program/Plan” form may also change the student’s faculty advisor assignment. Students are not allowed to change their major during the published registration period each semester.

To change your major to another college or school at UWL you should go to the Dean’s Office of that college or school. You can check here to find out how/where to change your major to another college.

Last modified: 12/20/2019

Admission to SoE Programs expanding section

Students who have declared a School of Education major must apply for and be admitted to their program in order to participate in professional coursework and complete program requirements.  Specific admission policies and procedures can be found by following the links below:

Last modified: 09/26/2018

UWL Policies on Academic Standing expanding section

Academic standing is determined twice each year, once at the end of the fall semester and once at the end of the spring semester. An academic semester refers to the fall or spring semester, not to winter or summer sessions.

The policies linked below outline progressive university response to situations when students’ GPAs fall below the minimum standard.

UWL policies on academic standing

Last modified: 09/26/2018

When/where/how do I register? expanding section

Students can find this information by logging into the Self Service Center in WINGS.  There will be a blue box to the right of the screen that is labeled “Enrollment Dates” and students should locate the subheading “Enrollment Appointment” and click on the “Details” hyperlink in that section.

Last modified: 05/30/2019

Where/how do I pay my bill? expanding section

This information can be found on the Cashier’s Office website 

Last modified: 02/21/2020

What is an override and how do I use it? expanding section

An override is when an instructor provides a student with permission to enroll in an already full course section.  If a student receives a notice that he/she has been approved for an override, he/she will simply log into Schedule Planner in WINGS and add the course as he/she would during registration.  The override would have already been set in WINGS by the instructor to allow the student to add the course without receiving an error message.  If the student still receives an error message, then he/she should contact the course instructor for further guidance.

Last modified: 05/30/2019

How do I get on a wait list and what and what happens if I can't get into that class? expanding section

The UWL Records Office provides detailed instructions on how to be added to a course’s waitlist:  If students are unable to get into a waitlisted course, they are encouraged to contact the course instructor to request an override or the student should select an alternative course.

Last modified: 12/21/2020

How do I get credit for a course I plan to take at a different institution? expanding section

Please fill out the following form and return it to the location listed.

Transfer Course Pre-Approval and Evaluation form

Last modified: 07/30/2020

I am ready to graduate, what do I do? expanding section
  • When you submit your student teaching application, you should apply to graduate in your WINGS student center. It is located in the same drop-down menu as your Academic Requirements (AR) report. 
  • Upon receipt of student teaching applications, the Academic Services Director/Teacher Certification officer in the SOE Dean's office will complete a credit check of all students who have applied to student teach.  You will be contacted via email If you are found to be missing required courses, missing required benchmark assessments, or needing to appeal GPA(s).
  • At any time in your career at UWL if you have any questions regarding degree completing contact the Dean's Office (260 Morris Hall, 785-8706). While your faculty advisor can also check your status, the Academic Service Director/Teacher Certification Officer in the Dean's office is the person who will complete your official degree verification when you are all done with your student teaching experience.  

Last modified: 03/24/2021

Can I participate in the May/December commencement ceremony if I am a Summer/Winter degree candidate graduate? expanding section
  • Yes.  If you are a Winter Intercession degree candidate, you may participate in the December commencement ceremony and if you are a Summer degree candidate, you may participate in the May commencement ceremony. 
  • General information about commencement can be found here. 

Last modified: 03/24/2021

Information on academic standards and suspension appeals. expanding section

Academic Standards and Suspension Appeals

Students must maintain a minimum academic standard in order to continue at UWL. Based on grades earned at UW-La Crosse, a student will be assigned a Good Standing, Academic Warning, Probation, or Suspension status. These standards are defined in the  UWL Catalog in the Academic Policies section under the subsection of Academic Eligibility. It is possible for a first semester student or for a student never before on Probation to be declared Suspended!

Suspended student appeals

Students declared academically Suspended may appeal their status by writing a 1-2 page, detailed letter of appeal addressed to the Dean's Appeals Committee. Please follow the directions provided below:

  1. The Committee appreciates all the information you may supply, and your appeal should address these questions:
    1. What has contributed to your poor academic performance?
    2. How will you improve your performance this coming semester?
    3. What major/academic program do you intend to pursue?
  2. Letters should be no more than one 1-2 page in length and please include a current phone number and email address to facilitate efficient communication.
  3. Appeal process:  direct your appeal to the School of Education, Professional and Continuing Education. To save your next semester schedule your appeal should be sent ASAP (by email or mail as directed below):
    1. Email:
    2. NOTE: If emailing the letter, send from your UWL email address; 
    3. Mail: 235 Morris Hall, 1725 State Street, La Crosse, WI 54601.
  4. Please direct all correspondence and questions to:
    1. 235 Morris Hall, 608.785.8218. 

If your appeal is approved by the Dean's Appeals Committee, you will be permitted to return on probation this coming semester.

However, if your appeal is denied by the Dean's Appeals Committee you have the right to bring your original appeal before the Committee for Academic Policies and Standards (CAPS), which meets prior to the beginning of the spring semester. This is the final level of appeal; if CAPS denies the appeal, you must remain out of school for one semester.

Appeals Process

Do not submit an appeal of your suspension status until the deadline to submit grade changes has passed.


Appeal Format

Priority Date

Outcome of Appeal

1. Dean’s Appeal Committee

Letter of Appeal

Before Before June 6, 2022 to avoid elimination of your Fall 2022 schedule.

Successful—allowed to return on probation

Unsuccessful—suspended status remains, may appeal to CAPS

2. Appeal to CAPS

Appeal In-person before faculty committee

Please contact the Dean’s Office for the date to appeal in person before CAPS

Successful-- allowed to return on probation

Unsuccessful—suspended status remains for one semester

Last modified: 06/22/2022

Who should I contact about advising and certification?

SOE Associate Dean (interim)Adrienne Loh
Acting Teacher Certification  608.785.8275Oversees accreditation and assessment. Oversees all teacher education curriculum matters. Organizes and provides direction/support to SoE Committees. Provides leadership, assistance and coordination with all grant-related activities within the SOE.
Academic Services Director/Teacher Certification OfficerVacant           608.785.8127Under the supervision of the Dean of SOE, this position is responsible for representing the Dean with regards to student academic issues and serving as a resource on academic policies, procedures, and degree requirements for teacher education students, faculty and staff. This position is responsible for verifying degree completion for undergraduate teacher education students/graduates and students in master’s and certificate programs after each term. This position is also responsible for verifying program completion for graduates applying for licensure in any state requiring institutional verification of program completion, and is the institutional resource on teacher licensing rules for the State of Wisconsin. The certification officer works closely with the Dean to ensure compliance with Wisconsin teacher licensing rules. Additional work includes collection, maintenance, and reporting of program completers and testing for licensure data to state and federal agencies.

Click on any item above to get more information.
Don't know where to begin? Click on "You".