University of Wisconsin-La Crosse | uwlax.edu
Skip to page menu
Expand page menu
Social media principles
Basic UWL social media page principles:
- UWL social media pages are inclusive. UWL pages are open to any person who has an interest in the topic or organization of the page.
- Social media participation is extracurricular. Participation in social media must be voluntary and may not be required. Non-participation cannot result in negative repercussions for a student or employee and faculty and academic departments should refrain from disciplining students on social networking sites.
- Social media should not be used to conduct official or required university activities. All UWL social media pages should be considered a method for augmenting existing official channels of communication (such as D2L) rather than replacing them.
- Page participation should follow the ground rules provided in the social media code of conduct Page administrators and participating members are all accountable for upholding the expectations of the page.
- UWL social media pages are public. Never communicate personal educational or health records via social media platforms or any other non-secure third-party system. (See federal FERPA and HIPAA laws, as well as University System student privacy statutes.)
- The Good, the Bad, but not the Ugly. If the content is positive or negative and in context to the conversation, then we allow the content, regardless of whether it’s favorable or unfavorable to us. But if the content is ugly, offensive, denigrating, or completely out of context, then we may reject the content.