Eagle ID FAQs (frequently asked questions)

Do I need to get a campus ID? expanding section

Students … yes. You will need an Eagle ID to access services on campus

Faculty/staff … yes. You will need the new EagleID to access campus buildings after hours and other services. 

Do I need to get a photo taken? expanding section

Students yes. If you do not have an acceptable photo a new one will need to be taken, otherwise we may only take your photo one time

Faculty/staff … yes. Please visit the card office at 1131 Student Union. 

How long with it take to get my EagleID? expanding section

Students not long. Be sure to bring some form of identification with you, such as driver's license, passport, etc. Once your photo is taken, you will be given your new  Eagle ID within a few minutes your photo is snapped!

Faculty/staffnot long. Be sure to bring some form of identification with you, such as driver's license, passport, etc. Those needing a new photo, will have to have the photo taken and the card to be printed.

Will I have to pay for the Eagle ID the first time? expanding section

No. But as in the past, if you lose your card and need a new one, go to 1131 Student Union to get a new card. The replacement cost is $20. 

What will I be able to use my EagleID for? expanding section

StudentsYou will be able to use your EagleID for a variety of services, such as:

  • dining plans
  • Campus Cash
  • Maroon Dollars
  • library services
  • laundry (requires Campus Cash to be added)
  • residence hall access (for residents of a hall)
  • Recreational Eagle Center
  • REC Strength Center
  • Vending machines
  • MTU city bus free access
  • UWL athletic events free access
  • Wing Technology
  • Voting ID for out of state students


Faculty/staff …. The new Eagle ID will allow:

  • Access to certain rooms or buildings on campus
  • Ability to check out books in the library
  • Spend staff campus cash (needs to be added)
  • Staff meal block plans
  • Access to special events
Can the EagleID be used for voting? expanding section

Yes for students — the new EagleID can be used as your photo ID for voting in Wisconsin. Wisconsin residents can still use their Drivers License to vote. For others, be sure to note that the eligibility to use the EagleID for voting expires two years after it is issued. 

What is the difference between Maroon Dollars and Campus Cash? expanding section

The 2 accounts spend the same in dining locations and coffee shops. The difference is the Maroon Dollars can only be spent at dining locations and coffee shops, Campus Cash can be spent there also, but can also be used for the bookstore, laundry, Pepsi, and printing. Maroon Dollars can not be carried over from semester to semester even if requested, but the campus cash does.

Does Campus Cash carry over from year to year? expanding section

Yes, campus will carryover from year to year until a student is separated from the university. The request can be made to refund the campus cash balance only if graduating, withdrawing, or transferring. 

How do I add Campus Cash to my account? expanding section

You can add Campus Cash with a credit/debit card or add to your tuition bill through GET Funds or you can come to the card office at 1131 Student Union with cash, check, or bill to the tuition account. Please remember that the maximum billable amount per semester is $500.00.

How much does it cost to replace a lost Eagle ID card? expanding section

The cost to replace a lost or stolen card is $20.00. This is charged to your student bill and can be paid with the tuition bill or it can be paid with cash/check.

Does it cost anything to replace a broken card? expanding section

There is a $10.00 charge for a broken or damaged card. You do need to bring the broken/damaged card to the card office when you order a new card. This broken/damaged card does need to be the most recent card you have had.

Do I need this card in order to do laundry? expanding section

You do need the Eagle ID card with Campus Cash on it to do laundry in the Residence halls. The laundry machines do not take cash.

Can I change my picture on this card? expanding section

Yes, but you will be charged for a new ID.

What are the policies regarding student ID's? expanding section


The UW-La Crosse Identification Card is used to authorize the use of campus resources. It serves to verify current student status at UW-La Crosse. The photo that is taken must conform to the following guidelines, consistent with a current United States Passport:

• Photo must be in full-face view directly facing the camera.

• Photo must be taken with a neutral facial expression and both eyes open.

• The photo must present the full head from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin.

• Hats and head coverings are only allowed if they are worn daily for religious purposes. The full face must be visible and the head covering cannot obscure the hairline or cast shadows on the face.

• Prescription eye glasses worn on a daily basis can be worn for the photo. Tinted glasses may only be worn if they are prescribed for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required. To avoid glare, tilt glasses downward slightly.

• Uniforms, clothing that looks like a uniform, and camouflage attire should not be worn in photos except in the case of religious attire that is worn daily. 

• Headphones, wireless hands-free devices, or similar items are not acceptable to be worn.