59th Annual Meeting
March 19–22, 2017 | Motif Seattle Hotel, Seattle, Washington
Conference opening reception | March 19, 2017, 5 p.m.
Conference plenary and concurrent sessions:
- March 20–21, 2017, 8:45 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
- March 22, 2017, 9 a.m.–Noon
KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Jorge Cham
Creator of Piled Higher and Deeper (PHD Comics), the popular comic strip about life (or the lack thereof) in Academia. He is also the co-founder of PHD TV, a video science and discovery outreach collaborative, and a founding board member of Endeavor College Prep, a non-profit school for kids from disadvantaged communities in East Los Angeles.
New this year! Three Minute Thesis Competition
Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) celebrates the exciting research conducted by graduate students. Developed by The University of Queensland (UQ), the exercise cultivates students’ academic, presentation, and research communication skills. The competition supports their capacity to effectively explain their research in three minutes, in a language appropriate to a non-specialist audience.
BEYOND BOUNDARIES: GRADUATE EDUCATION’S EXPANSIVE REACH
Graduate education’s expansive reach speaks to connections across and increasingly beyond the academy to a diverse set of communities and partners. Graduate education contributes to new ideas and new ways of doing things.
- Enhancing and supporting interdisciplinary research
- Exploring new credentialing for graduate students
- Creating pathways for international dual/joint degrees and certificates
- Continuing ongoing efforts to broaden graduate education and postdoc career paths
- Partnering with industry and government for economic development
- Assessing the impact of graduate education
- Contributing to creative industries
- Fostering innovation hubs
- Promoting indigenous knowledges
- Enabling social incubators
- Undertaking community research
Who should attend
Faculty and staff from colleges and universities significantly engaged in graduate education, to include, but not limited to:
- Graduate Deans and their staff
- Graduate Program Directors and their staff
- Associate Deans and their staff
- Assistant Deans and their staff