A student internship is one of the best ways to gain valuable work experience. Employers often require applicants to have relevant work experience. We have excellent internship opportunities for interested and qualified students in the La Crosse area.
Because of our proximity to the Mississippi River, several major federal and state resource management facilities are located within 5 miles of campus. These facilities are excellent internship sites for our students. The number and quality of these internships is one of the strongest aspects of our environmental science programs.
Internships are a cooperative endeavor between the UW-La Crosse Office of Career Services, an environmental science faculty member (usually the student's academic advisor), and agency scientists at the internship site. While our students gain valuable experience, they also perform useful tasks that expand the research capabilities of the cooperating scientists. Skills and experiences obtained by student interns are valued by employers and are helpful for gaining admittance into graduate programs. Internships also enable students to network with professionals in the discipline.
Both paid and unpaid internships are available during the school year. Because of increased research activities during the summer, a large proportion of the summer internships are full time, paid positions.
Local internship sites include
- Mississippi River Regional Planning Commission
- National Weather Service
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation
- La Crosse County Health Department
- La Crosse County Land Information Office
- Hixon Forest Nature Center
- Dairyland Power Cooperative
- Upper Midwest Environmental Sciences Center, U.S. Geological Survey (This is an especially active internship site. Numerous UW-La Crosse students are employed by this facility.)
- Davy Laboratories
- La Crosse Fish Health Center, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- La Crosse Fishery Resources Office, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
In addition, summer internship experiences are also available outside of the La Crosse area. Examples include
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (state-wide)
- Shedd Aquarium, Chicago, IL
- Student Conservation Corps, Glacier National Park
- Smithsonian Institute, Washington, D.C.
- Private Industry
Also, look for flyers posted in Cowley Hall and on the Environmental Science bulletin board on 3rd floor Cowley (across the hallway from Room 320).
Finally, Career Services (Wilder Hall) has much useful information about internship opportunities.