University of Wisconsin-La Crosse |

Human Resources

Expand page menu
Skip to page menu


We’re ready to serve you!

The Office of Human Resources is pleased to be a major support function of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. This site is designed to be a convenient and thorough source of information for current and prospective UW-La Crosse employees. The information provided on these pages describes basic policies, procedures, benefits and services provided to all faculty and staff at UW-La Crosse. You are invited to learn more about the mission of the Office of Human Resources.

The Office of Human Resources is here to serve you 7:45 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.

Human Resources news, events, and updates

Benefits fair and annual benefits enrollment

The Annual Benefits Enrollment (ABE) period for 2017 is from October 17, 2016 to November 11, 2016. UWL benefits team will hold the annual benefits fair on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 in Cartwright Center. UWL benefits team will host some informational sessions during the annual enrollment period. There will also be a flu shot clinic and biometric screening appointments available during the benefits fair on Nov 2. Further information about annual benefits enrollment, the benefits fair, and the informational sessions can be found on the annual benefits enrollment webpage.

"NEAT" wellness challenge wraps up October 22

Let’s all continue with the good physical activity habits we logged while doing the NEAT challenge… reading this message standing up, for example. We feel more energetic once we get that blood moving! Remember to turn in your trackers (144 Graff Main Hall) by October 28 to qualify for incentives. Don’t worry if yours is only partially filled out. Every healthy activity counts!  I have attached a couple of articles for more information on NEAT activity.
The next challenge is Maintain Don’t Gain.  Stop by the Human Resources table at the Benefits and Wellness Fair, November 2 to sign up, pick up a tracker and find out what other goodies we have!

FLSA changes

Information about changes to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and how they will affect UWL employees is now available on our website.

ETF eLearning: pharmacy benefits

The department of employee trust funds (ETF) recently released an eLearning video titled "Pharmacy Benefits: Saving on Your Perscriptions" to help educate employees on how to reduce their out-of-pocket costs for prescription drugs. This e-learning provides an overview of the member’s cost-share for generic, brand name and specialty drugs, along with six tips for saving money.

Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) Rates Announced

The department of employee trust funds (ETF) has announced the new WRS contributions rates for employees and employers in 2017. For most UWL employees who participate in WRS, the employee contribution rate will increase from 6.6% to 6.8%. Further information can be found on ETF's website.

What does self-insurance mean for employees?

As you may have heard, the department of Employee Trust Funds (ETF) and the Group Insurance Board (GIB) are considering moving to a self-insurance model for state group health insurance beginning in calendar year 2018. While no decisions have been made yet, ETF and the GIB have put together an animated e-learning, Self-Insurance in 5 Minutes, to show group health subscribers what self-insurance means for them and the next steps being taken by GIB as it considers the change.

ETF Well Wisconsin Wednesday Webinars

New for 2016! The Department of Employee Trust Funds (ETF) has contracted with StayFit Pan to provide monthly lunch hour webinars as part of the Well Wisconsin Program. The first webinar will be held on Wednesday, April 27. Then, starting in May, the webinars will be held of the 3rd Wednesday of each month.
A variety of wellness topics will be covered - starting with A to Z on Allergies on April 27. The full list of topics is available online. Individuals and groups may register each monthhere. Preregistration is required.

Understanding your Wisconsin Retirement Benefits

The Department of Employee Trust Funds (ETF) is offereing a series of 30-minute, live, interactive webinars designed to increase your understanding of Wisconsin Retirement benefits. Individuals can also ask questions at the end of these sessions. The sessions offered include "understanding your annual WRS statement of benefits," "WRS effective rates and annuity adjustments," "returning to work after retirement," and "additional WRS contributions." For more information about the sessions and a schedule of webinar dates and times, please visit ETF's website.

Recorded Presentations Available from Benefits Informational Sessions

The annual benefits enrollment period, which gives employees the opportunity to make benefits changes for the following year, ended on October 30, 2015. The following archived presentations about several benefits programs are available online: the 2016 health insurance changes presentationthe flexible spending accounts presentation, and the high deductible health plan presentation. More information about benefits changes for 2016 is available on the department of employee trust funds (ETF) website and the UW System annual benefits enrollment website. Please contact Human Resources should you have any questions.

Overtime and compensatory leave policy

The UW-La Crosse Overtime and Compensatory Leave policy as well as the UW System Compensatory Time policy became effective on January 1, 2015.  These policies affect the payment of earned overtime for university staff employees. If you have questions regarding these policies, please contact Human Resources.

Hiring temporary office support staff

Temporary office support staff are hired through a temporary staffing agency under contract with the State of Wisconsin Bureau of Procurement. Supervisors should refer to the recruitment webpage for additional information.

Emergency contact information  

Is your Emergency Contact Information up to date? This information is imperative as we have had the need arise to contact a designee only to find no one is listed. When medical or other emergencies come up, every minute counts. Please help us help you out should the need ever arise. You can update your information on your My UW System portal by clicking the "update my personal information" link or you may complete and return theemergency contact form to the Human Resources office.