Counseling & Testing Center
2106 Centennial Hall Phone: 608.785.8073 Fax: 608.785.8965
The Counseling & Testing Center offers several distinct services:
- Counseling (Personal, Academic Skills, and ADHD Assessments)
- Testing (Placement, College Admission, Workforce, Correspondence)
We offer confidential counseling services (Personal Counseling, Academic Skill Building, and ADHD Assessments) to currently enrolled UWL students.
PERSONAL COUNSELING or ACADEMIC SKILL BUILDING
There is no fee for Personal Counseling or Academic Skill Building appointments. To get started, call or stop in to make an appointment (first appointment is 20-30 minutes for personal counseling or 45-50 minutes for academic skill building).
BEFORE YOUR FIRST APPOINTMENT
Once you make your first appointment of the school year, we ask that you:
- Complete the 2016-17 Client Information Form
- Read and sign the 2016-17 Informed Consent Form
- It is important to fully read the Informed Consent Form.
- If you have any questions or concerns about the Informed Consent Form, your counselor will discuss this with you before proceeding with this session.
These forms will help your counselor understand your concerns and help you understand the counseling process. They must be completed before meeting with the counselor. You can:
- download and complete the forms at home and bring them to your appointment, or
- stop in our office and pick up the forms and bring them to your appointment, or
- come 15-20 minutes prior to your appointment and we will have the forms available for you to complete in our office before your appointment.
At this first session, the counselor will discuss your situation and determine what counseling service(s) will be most helpful. Continued services include individual and group options.
To cancel or reshedule an appointment, just call or stop in at least 24 hours before your appointment.
Reasons why students seek Personal Counseling or Academic Skill Building:
- Personal Counseling: to get help with resolving conflicts, solving problems, handling crisis situations, making decisions, understanding self, understanding others, and developing better coping skills. They also come in to address concerns about their own or a friend's alcohol or drug use, eating disorders, depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts and so much more.
- Academic Skill Building: for assistance with note taking, studying, test preparation, managing test anxiety, test taking skills, vocabulary. Check out our Academic Skill Building page.
If you are intererested in an ADHD assessment, stop in our office and pick up an ADHD Pre-Assessment packet which outlines the assessment process.